Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Model 3 Viewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Initial production being hand assembly seems perfectly consistent with Tesla communication. With a gradual production ramp on the automated assembly line starting from September culminating in a target production rate of 5000/week by the end of the year.

Initial production being hand assembly seems perfectly consistent with Tesla communication. With a gradual production ramp on the automated assembly line starting from September culminating in a target production rate of 5000/week by the end of the year.
I have strong doubts that Tesla will ever produce hand built anything anymore. Multi Billion dollar companies such as Tesla - buying hundreds of robots and such would never build anything by hand.

Let me put it this way. It would be an ultimate disappoint to see that after 16 months after revealing a car....with billions of dollars at their disposal.....they still have to build it by hand.

Reactions: CTreast
Let me put it this way. It would be an ultimate disappoint to see that after 16 months after revealing a car....with billions of dollars at their disposal.....they still have to build it by hand.

You can also look at it this way : it's not that they have to, but that they can build by hand (earlier than the fully assembly line would allow). Essentially they have a process in place to hand build release quality cars right now. If those release cars are good enough, why stop that process waiting for the automated assembly line is fully operational and instead start production early?

Let the record state that Elon vowed that 100k to 200k model 3 will be produced by the end of 2017.

Or have we forgotten already that promise?
No one "vowed" anything. The quote is:

So as a rough guess, I would say we would aim to produce 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of next year. That’s my expectation right now.

This was a year ago. Not only is this not a promise, but it's a rough guess made long before now.

Let the record state that Elon vowed that 100k to 200k model 3 will be produced by the end of 2017.

Or have we forgotten already that promise?
"Vowed"? "Promise"!?

It is the misinterpreted, hyped-up statements like this that give us things like the months long HUD frenzy, the current model 3 anti-sell, and the disappointment that the factory tour last week was not a mini model 3 reveal.

It's normal for companies to spend 3-5 years developing a car. Model 3 development started in 2014 and clay models were spotted in 2015. This isn't a rush job if that's what you're saying.

Actually the point I was trying to make was that Audi is a "normal" car manufacturer taking 5 years to go from concept to production. So if you hire a guy with bucket loads of experience setting up factories that can make lots of cars with many years of planning and production ramp up, then yes Mr Audi can help you set that factory up. But he doesn't have experience putting together massive increased production years ahead of schedule form virtually nothing.

But he doesn't have experience putting together massive increased production years ahead of schedule form virtually nothing.
A normal manufacturer does not take 5 years to actually set up production though, not even close. He is coming in with the majority of work already accomplished.
Also he's not setting up a factory, he's setting up a manufacturing line and keeping track of logistics something he's probably done quite a few times. The quick scaling is his job.

No one "vowed" anything. The quote is:

This was a year ago. Not only is this not a promise, but it's a rough guess made long before now.
Thanks for the correction. This is another example of people twisting Musk's words and why I always look for the direct statement rather than what others (including journalists) paraphrase. I'm sure when the time comes there will be another "gotcha" post/articles about how Musk broke his hard promise, when he never made one.

Reactions: JeffK
The other models were behind schedule. To think a quota of 100-200k delivered by end 2017 is silly.
Massive fanboys got to lie so hard to themselves to think this company in the next 6 months will put out 100k cars in 180 days and not have some major recall or other unforseen problem. Heck half the United States have such idiotic Dealers franchise setups that Tesla cant direct sell in HALF the U.S.

Tesla would do better to not overpromise and end up eating crow. Plus the Model3 better be awesome because in 3 years Porsche, VW, Daimler, Chevy are going have great alternative choices if this car doesnt age well.
Personally i love model3 because it makes a 2012-2014(1st half) modelS look ancient. Old battery tech, old seat, 3g, no autopilot, slower charging, service issues(the grinding noise) and those cars cost today more than the model3. Glad i didnt sell the farm to have a wonderful car but one that ages as tech less than great 3 years later.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big-T and JeffK