Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Probably SpaceX debris found in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Big chunks of what was probably the remnants of a SpaceX dragon trunk jettisoned on July 8 were found in an Australian field. Love the doggos in the TV report.

It is jettisoned while deorbiting? Thought these things are jettisoned over ocean.

Is it jettisoned only on human flights? And on cargo flights they come back taking stuff back from ISS?

They try to make sure such things fall into the ocean, but sometimes they miss. It isn’t an exact science since they don’t have guidance nor propulsion and also the atmospheric density changes unpredictably.

Last edited:
Big chunks of what was probably the remnants of a SpaceX dragon trunk jettisoned on July 8 were found in an Australian field. Love the doggos in the TV report.
Great find. A double win with the nerdy astrophysicist and the doggies.

On a side note, you can really see the difference in the way the media reports things in the US versus that informative report in Australia. Over here the media does everything possible to make everything controversial and dramatic. This report would have been played up as an intense tragedy of epic proportions. In this case we get a rational and reasonable nerdy scientist explaining everything in nerdy detail.

Last edited:
Great find. A double win with the nerdy astrophysicist and the doggies.

On a side note, you can really see the difference in the way the media reports things in the US versus that informative report in Australia. Over here the media does everything possible to make everything controversial and dramatic. This report would have been played up as an intense tragedy of epic proportions. In this case we get a rational and reasonable nerdy scientist explaining everything in nerdy detail.

Honestly, I like Australian media for explaining even the American political scene better than any US media 😂

Having said that, I wonder (I really don't know) how independent their media is from their government. I know that in Canada (my home country), all major media are in the tank for the current ruling party, and the media is even more distorted since 90% of news gathering expenditures is by the CBC, which is wholly funded by the government.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal