Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

chimpanzee's big project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • jomo25
    My head hurts.​
  • Today, 06:51 PM
    Doug_G
    Wow, that's quite the rant.​
  • Today, 06:34 PM
    JRP3

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by JRP3 viewpost-right.png
    Chimp's been known to overreact a tad.

As I said......

Let's see..185 pages of "Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues" -- CLEARLY there is a PROBLEM

"Houston..WE HAVE A PROBLEM"
    -- Apollo 13, James Lovell astronaut

& nol cognizant rebuttal of my analysis (just name-calling)

GET THIS:

If Tesla Motors doesn't get it's SH*T together REAL FAST, it's looking at a Model S CRISIS, which will result in this model's downfall..thus Tesla's demise

Emails to service go UN-ANSWERED (people with service issues have to CALL IN), see that thread that just got posted by unhappy buyer..

This is Classic Case of "under-staffing", Tesla simply doesn't have CRITICAL MASS (term I used above) to deal with Mass Production car company.. It's a Poser "toy car" Mfr, a pretender.

"Contender or Pretender"

Term from Sports..face it, Tesla is about to get EXPOSED as a "pretender". I give Elon Musk credit for getting this far. He can cash out his stock options, & walk away a very wealthy con-man.

"Solar Energy scam, do a solar startup, get US Govt DoE/Dept of Energy loan, sell consumer a "bill of goods" [ SCAM ], walk away with stock options, company fails..if you want to be part of the New Business Model for United States, hell..go for it"
-- Dr Scott T., New Mexico Tech, Electrical Engineering Dept

He & I had a conversation recently (I'm a EE PhD, U of Illinois, he's a U of Illinois former Physics Research Associate .. Adaptive Optics UCLA project on Mt Wilson here in Pasadena/CA), about

RoI (Return on Investment) for various Alternative Energy technologies

His exact quote to me was "Do the MATH"..Solar ENergy doesn't have it. A UNLV Nuclear Engineering Prof friend told me the same thing (Solar is selling people a "bill of goods"). At 1st I thought it was "politics" (competition between ALternative Energy sectors), but now I realize it ISN'T!!

Nuclear Energy is the way-to-go. However, it has the "stigma" of BAD, due to Public Perception in worst case scenario of failure (Nuclear meltdown). Ala CHernobyl, Three Mile Island, Fukushima/Japan, etc

Germany is pushing Solar (which apparently is failing, my former HS classmate Dr Ted S. is former CFO Siemens Solar who was CEO of German solar startup Sovello), while AGAINST Nuclear.

EXACTLY the opposite of the above Meritocratic Engineering analysis ("do the math")

Now, we have Elon Musk pushing

1) electric cars
overall, not an Environmentally CLean solution (battery production is "dirty", requiring oil consumption to ship Lithion from Bolivia to where-ever). Plus, disposal of spent batteries

2) solar (as part of solution to grid Charging network)
not as good as Nuclear (clear winner)

Strange scenario -- so-called Revolution above could in-fact be a SCAM. THere are BETTER solutions out there.

"Who killed the electric car"

paints a politically driven campaign ("old oil") to wipe-out disruption (electric cars). However, EVs may itself be in the same position as "old oil", that politically drives out the best RoI solution in ALternative Energy. Clean Nuclear (Entergy owns 10 of 12 Nuclear Plants in USA), and CNG (Clean Natural Gas)

I ditched my 4x4 gas-guzzling van back in 2008, when gas prices hit $3/gallon, & have been doing

Public Transportation (Metrorail electric train in LA, LA Metro bus..CNG) & bicycle

CNG bus works great, I get exercise with my bike (feel a LOT healthier). As opposed to the "sedentary life style" of sitting around, in office & in car (incl electric car)

Dr Craig Venter (Biotech pioneer, co-sequenced Human Genome via Celera startup), who owns a Tesla Roadster & Model S, did a 400 million $$ deal with Exxon Mobil ("old oil")

"designer gene ALgae, that synthesizes hydrocarbon fuel"
[ there is an issue of scaleability -- huge algae farms are required to make fuel in sufficient quantity ]

..this "blows the door open" on the argument of electric-car over gas cars.

This could set the stage for:

"How the electric car failed"

Poor management/planning at Tesla MOtors

- didn't address the chronic bugginess of Model S (eventual Bad Recall, that could sink Model S)
traced to lack of R&D Academic/Industrial Collaborative/Cooperative Consortium (ala Fraunhofer Inst, a German based solution that bridges the gap between Academia..Knowledge & Industry..Product) & Motorsports involvement (DEvelopment Platform for Product DEvelopment)

- poor servicing of mass-production car
Rangers can't service the masses, under-staffing of SC (service centers)..un-returned emails

Poor RoI model to begin with, with other Technologies as being better. CNG, Biotech based synthesis of HC fuels (ICE is a well-developed Technology, literally water vapor is the only product out of the exhaust)

Last edited:
The car sells itself, indeed. I just came back from a week at EAA/AirVenture/Oshkosh (http://airventure.org/index.html) 500,000 people, 10,000 aircraft, and one Tesla driving VIPs around with a flashing light stuck on top. Vehicles are mostly restricted, so, my car really couldn't be missed. Still, there were clearly many people that had never seen (or even heard of) the model S in central Wisconsin. At times, it was a bit embarrassing. I charged a few times by plugging into the 50A outlet outside a hangar, parked next to a few vintage jets. I'd come back to see a sad and lonely F-86 while a crowd surrounded the MS, taking pictures and what not. When I had an open seat, I'd pick up the visitors and give them a ride. On the whole, the pilot community is pre-programmed to understand what its all about. They are used to the glass cockpit, trip planning, and fuel managment. Of course, the most popular questions remain, how far can it go? and what does it cost? ("starts at about $60K" is my stock answer). I wish I could track the impact on those I exposed to the car in one way or another - I'd be surprised if a few sales didn't develop. If I play any role in the success of this wonderful company than that is compensation enough.

"The Best Advertising..is a SATISFIED CUSTOMER"

If Tesla Motors is a progressive "Alternative Model" company, then it should try innovative techniques to "drive Sales" (no pun intended). THere is the oft technique of

"giving referree a "credit/discount" for X number of referral sales"

"Music [ auditory response/interpretation ] is Auto Explanatory"
-- Sergio Tiempo, Classical Pianist

Model S has an "auto-explanatory" & "self advertising" component to it.

"Tesla Roadster is about its UNIQUENESS"

THere should be a Viral Marketing campaign by Tesla Motors, e.g. Youtube Channel or iTunes video-podcast

Tesla Roadster

[ my contribution ]

to push this UNIQUENESS & Auto-Explanatory aspect. Face it, Tesla Motors is NOT a critical-mass Big Dog Auto Mfr (like General Motors, Mercedes, etc) with HUGE Marketing budget. It needs to use CREATIVITY ("Innovation") so push its equally unique/creative product.

I don't think Tesla is doing that, via "Citizen Journalism" & SOcial Media (esp Web 2.0 video)

Ambassadors should be able to contribute Videos to a Youtube Channel, iTunes video-podcast (with some moderation by Tesla), etc. All tied together with keywords & hashtags ( #teslamotors), over some

"Feed aggregator"

David VS Goliath .. one-off victories can be achieved.

"won some battles, but lost the War"

However, a long-term campaign ("winning the War") can be achieved by the famous Sun Tzu "Art or War" flexibility

Agile/Mobile/Hostile

as per History Channel 2 hr episode (Youtube has upload):

5:00 mark

"THere are FIVE fundamental factors key to Victory, Military Doctrine [ Strategy ], Leadership [ "It starts from the Top" ], Weather, Terrain, & MOST IMPORTANT OF THEM ALL..
Moral Influence [ "the Will of the People" ]"
-- Sun Tzu "Art of War"

Ambassadors equipped with

1) SOcial Media
Twitter, Facebook

2) Web 2.0 video
"Video Blogging", a Web 2.0 video solution -- iTunes video-podcast & Youtube Channel, Blip.tv Netshow, etc. Linked together by video-aggregators (RSS feed)

Tesla Motors simply ISN'T using the available tools..

I happened across the Vidcon conference last week at Anaheim CC (COnvention Center), where Tesla owner (Roadster & Model S) Jason Calacanis made a keynote speech on "Youtube disruption". He is an experienced Entrepreneur (Blogging), who is an EV fan.

They could be reaching their target demographic (young adults, Tech aware & future Techies) with

- Smartphones, Tablets
"Mobile Computing", the Future of Computing

- Sony Playstation, Nintendo WII, Xbox 360
living room set top box solution, with Internet Access. Gaming demographic is linked with Electric Cars

"Push Pull" Marketing

Push the product over xxx (Social Media, Web 2.0 video, Video-Gaming living-room-set-top-box), Pull in customers/sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say when I turned around and saw George B with his shirt off, I didn't know what was going on but one thought was very clear: George is stripping, now we've got a party!

"The Emperor wore No Clothes"

an eerie reminder of the "rising background level" in Technical issues with Model S. Signifying that Model S has Durability/Reliability issue long-term, i.e. Model S could be "poser"

"It's not how you start, but how you FINISH"
"You can't win the Race on this 1st lap, BUT YOU CAN CERTAINLY LOSE IT"
-- Motorsports saying

Sure, any startup can get a Product out loaded with Technology, performance/features..but the question is Long-Term sustainability (Durability & Reliability)?

THere's a well know mantra in Motorsports:

"ability to deal with Adversity"

"Those who ignores the Lessons of History..ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT"
-- History is a Great Teacher

accidents, adjusting car setup (changing track conditions), changing pit/fuel strategy, adjusting to competition, dealing with car-issues (ALWAYS)

Tesla MOtors simply hasn't the track-record for long-term success. They certainly need a partner in MOtorsports, to help them with Durability/Reliability. ALL the major Auto MFrs have had EXTENSIVE MOtorsports involvement -- Honda, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Chevrolet/GM, Ford, DOdge/Chrysler. As a matter of fact, Xtrac's Offroad "development partner" SOLVED the

multi-speed gearbox breakage issue, that plagued the Roadster
[ contributed to 2007 Production Delay, which led to unfair blame to M. Eberhard & his ouster, along with other key Tesla staff ]

To this day, Tesla is STILL using a single-speed, when in fact a multi-speed has been prototyped by a race-team (who I'm good friends with, in particular the team owner)

There is sign of "driveline unreliability", see that thread on "Thud" (high voltage battery dying, "unloading" of drivetrain) after 15K miles. This could be ANOTHER red-flag, ala "gearbox breakage" (dating back to Roadster problems)

Uh oh..

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Emperor wore No Clothes"

an eerie reminder of the "rising background level" in Technical issues with Model S. Signifying that Model S has Durability/Reliability issue long-term, i.e. Model S could be "poser"

[snip]

Uh oh..

Okay, you know how some people read WAY too much into things? Yeah. This is way over that line. It was a PARTY. I gave George a TESLIVE shirt. He put it on.

Tesla didn't use a multi-speed transmission in the Model S for a simple reason: it's not needed. The car has superb performance from 0 to 100 mph, which is the full range of street-safe speeds in its core markets. With an electric vehicle, you really only need gears if you're going to use it on the track (which is why the race team that Chimp referred to has developed such a gear box). For the rest of us, such a transmission merely adds weight, complexity, and increased probability of failures.

On the (off-topic) topic of providing a referral reward, I strongly disagree. Humans interact in two distinct modes: market mode, and social mode. In social mode, I'll help you schlep that couch up to your apartment, and then we might enjoy a beer (that you provide) afterwards. If you were instead to pay me the $1 that the beer costs, you'd be shifting the transaction into a market mode and, in so doing, insult me by suggesting that my time and effort was only worth $1.

If Tesla could develop an incentive program that kept the referrals entirely in "social mode," it could work. Otherwise, we'd all just become commission-based salesmen for Tesla -- and you know what a high reputation car salesmen have.

I don't know WHERE he got the 'solar is failing in Germany' bit. I just got back from Germany on Friday and the most surprising thing we noticed is how much solar is there. Talking to the people, solar has hit a price point that has made it VERY attractive. Some towns we went through looked like they had up to a third of their buildings with solar panels on their south-facing roofs. We saw installations on barns, single- and multi-family homes, apartment buildings, warehouses and stand-alone solar farms.

On the (off-topic) topic of providing a referral reward, I strongly disagree. Humans interact in two distinct modes: market mode, and social mode. In social mode, I'll help you schlep that couch up to your apartment, and then we might enjoy a beer (that you provide) afterwards. If you were instead to pay me the $1 that the beer costs, you'd be shifting the transaction into a market mode and, in so doing, insult me by suggesting that my time and effort was only worth $1.
This is very well put. Kudos.