Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with external temperature readings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear community,

A friend of mine with a M3 Long Range 2020 model called me desperate today. The first thing they noticed is that there was no heat during their drive, shortly after, they noticed that the temperature outside is shown as 47 Celsius (see photo). That cannot be possible as the car is in The Netherlands where temperatures these days are around 5-10 Celsius. Also, when the car is parked, the outside temperature seem to raise sharply (also in really high numbers) and the cabin over-heating protection is activating and the AC starts inside the car (see the following three photos).
The car is with 2021.44.30 software.

Did anybody else experience same issue? Any advice?
We tried reset and all that and plan a service appointment!

I also come accross this one:

0. DHIV0191.JPG
1. KIUG5468.JPG
2. FANB3630.JPG
3. KGIG8603.JPG

Last edited:
He should call his service center, probably faulty temp sensor. The will fix it ASAP because it might be able to mess up the battery heating/cooling as well..
If car is <80k km's it will be fixed under warranty.
Hmm, they got an apointment for the 18th of January only :(
For now, they de-activate the cabin overheating protection and they do not use the car too much this period anyway due to COVID restrictions.

Hmm, they got an apointment for the 18th of January only :(
For now, they de-activate the cabin overheating protection and they do not use the car too much this period anyway due to COVID restrictions.

They should take that service appointment, then call the service center that has the appointment and ask them if they can expedite the appointment due to the temperature sensor not functioning properly for vehicle heating / cooling. The SC will likely try to fit them in.

They should take that service appointment, then call the service center that has the appointment and ask them if they can expedite the appointment due to the temperature sensor not functioning properly for vehicle heating / cooling. The SC will likely try to fit them in.
Tesla Service Center will come to collect the car today for further inspection of the problem. Will report back with how long it took and what was/is the problem.

Problem solved under warranty and the service job description was: “Sensor - Ambient Air Temperature (Remove & Replace)”.
Tesla Service was moving quite fast, arranged a car collection on Tuesday and deliver the car back today (Thursday).
They also offered a replacement car but my friends did not wanted as long as the service job lasts 2-3 days (in The Netherlands we have a lot of COVID restrictions anyway).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Similar issue started 2 weeks ago on my sept 21 model 3 LR. first was 20 outside then 40 now 72oC. Blowing cold air in when its 4oC outside.
Now got issues with internal sensor so parked up and outside 5oC tesla was showing 72 outside and 43 inside. Had to turn off the cabin cool as fans wer running in the middle of the UK winter to cool the car down.
Today had to put air con on to stop windows condensing up, recycle to stop cold air, fan on 2 and hi setting on heating.

So booked in and for few other bits
1) rattle from rear back seat
2) intermittent charge plug release
3) half of all door hinge bolts black/ unpainted not red
4) both rear light clusters fogging up
5) interior temperature probe fault
6) exterior temperature probe fault.

Similar issue started 2 weeks ago on my sept 21 model 3 LR. first was 20 outside then 40 now 72oC. Blowing cold air in when its 4oC outside.
Now got issues with internal sensor so parked up and outside 5oC tesla was showing 72 outside and 43 inside. Had to turn off the cabin cool as fans wer running in the middle of the UK winter to cool the car down.
Today had to put air con on to stop windows condensing up, recycle to stop cold air, fan on 2 and hi setting on heating.

So booked in and for few other bits
1) rattle from rear back seat
2) intermittent charge plug release
3) half of all door hinge bolts black/ unpainted not red
4) both rear light clusters fogging up
5) interior temperature probe fault
6) exterior temperature probe fault.
I hope they will fix these issues for you. On my 2021 model (made in US and received in The Netherlands in December 2020) I experienced the first two you mentioned.
1. That rattle on the back seat was really annoying at some point but it just disappeared one day. I need to monitor that during a longer trip which we plan soon;
2. My charge port was replaced after having issues with not being able to unplug the cable and having to release it manually. At some point, I was getting an error while driving that the charging will not be possible but I was able to charge although the LED on the port was showing RED before session started. No problems since the charge port was replaced.

One issue I have right now is the powered trunk which was only opening half way occasionally but now it stop working completely - I have an appointment for that.

Share with us the outcome after the service visit. Good luck!