Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

problems in the European delivery hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And another SMS just came in, to say that they had updated the system and we could use navigation with auto pilot, lane changing, and summon...
I got that same. This is really good on Tesla if it is indeed making us equivalent to buying the FSD option today. Of course, I could’ve just returned the vehicle and ordered a new one but the chance of me doing that we’re slim when I could instead just complain here.

I got that same. This is really good on Tesla if it is indeed making us equivalent to buying the FSD option today. Of course, I could’ve just returned the vehicle and ordered a new one but the chance of me doing that we’re slim when I could instead just complain here.

It does not mean it's FSD though, just that it's summon+lane change, so it is what we bought, nothing more...

Congrats. Mine is still scheduled for delivery this Friday. Am going to register it tomorrow, so if there is no delay by Tesla, everything should be set to go smoothly.

Then again, even if it were to be delayed, I could just hop into our e-Golf now if I feel in dire need of some more BEV-goodness ;)

Update: just got a call from Tesla, just like @Wixard_it before. Due to logistical problems my car is still in Zeebrugge and they don't know when it will arrive here. My delivery date on Friday is therefor cancelled.

I am furious, to say the least. I had scheduled the date with my PPF installer to match the delivery date and now I can only tell him I have to postpone and don't know to when. It is possible and quite likely that he won't have time to fit me in when the new delivery date is announced. Don't know what to do now. Never been so angry. :mad:

What a bunch of incompetent idiots.

• Disagree
Reactions: Waiting43
Update: just got a call from Tesla, just like @Wixard_it before. Due to logistical problems my car is still in Zeebrugge and they don't know when it will arrive here. My delivery date on Friday is therefor cancelled.

I am furious, to say the least. I had scheduled the date with my PPF installer to match the delivery date and now I can only tell him I have to postpone and don't know to when. It is possible and quite likely that he won't have time to fit me in when the new delivery date is announced. Don't know what to do now. Never been so angry. :mad:

If you've never in your life been so angry as when you had delivery of your new luxury EV delayed you've had a pretty awesome life, so you've got that going for you!

Seriously though, us folks in the US went through this for months- repeated delivery delays, postponed dates, lack of info.

the car is awesome, but regarding logistics/delivery/communication the company is absolutely awful

If you've never in your life been so angry as when you had delivery of your new luxury EV delayed you've had a pretty awesome life, so you've got that going for you!

Seriously though, us folks in the US went through this for months- repeated delivery delays, postponed dates, lack of info.

the car is awesome, but regarding logistics/delivery/communication the company is absolutely awful

Amen to the last part of that final sentence.

After my delivery date was cancelled, several Tesla people called me - via phone and via e-mail. None of those people knew of each other or what the others were doing. In the end I had three "confirmed" new delivery dates - all on different days I might add. I am still in the process of getting a confirmed "real" new delivery date, as I have to tell my PPF installer when I will be bringing him the vehicle.
I have also asked the most competent seeming person to check whether the car that is held up in Zeebrugge is actually my VIN as there are several reports by people who at delivery found out that the car to be delivered didn't match their issued VIN.

And as for the rest of your post: I know of the problems in the US, I have read many of the threads about the subject here at TMC. I just thought that some day, Tesla would learn and get better at this. As it stands, they are still less than semi-professional when it comes to logistics and communication.

As for being angry, yes, I might have been lucky up to now in that respect, because whenever I bought anything that expensive, the delivery process was flawless. Sorry Tesla, but the whole delivery process up to now has been abysmal. The cancellation of the delivery date was just the latest of a whole series of problems.
The information I had to submit in the MyTesla account was erratic (and what I have provided still hasn't been properly processed) and the handling of invoice, payment, documents etc. was extremely stressful and frustrating, requiring lots of effort on my part and very little help from Tesla. That alone would have been enough to be enervated to the max. Had the delivery date not been cancelled I might have forgotten about all those teething problems very quickly, but as it stands it is just a final sign of the incompetence of the Tesla delivery team over here.

And as for the car being awesome, after having seen loads of review videos of people in Germany who have already gotten their car, I am not so sure anymore. There are lots of problems. Some concern build quality, some concern charging problems, others concern missing items that should have come with the car or tech problems about the UI, aircon, LTE card, etc.

Granted, not all of these problems are severe, but consider this: I have been driving an e-Golf for about a month now, and to be honest, VW as a company might be an untrustworthy entity of Diesel-cheating liars. But this doesn't take away from the fact that - apart from the range - the e-Golf is better in every respect than any Tesla I have ever driven or sat in up to now. The build quality (at least of mine) is perfect, the tech works flawlessly, the efficiency is awesome (we are averaging - patches of Autobahn driving included - about 16kWh per 100km), the comfort level is even better than on my BMW, and even the voice controls work without a glitch - something I had never experienced on any car with such tech before.
If the e-Golf had a battery as large as the Model 3 it would take us over 400km on a single charge and we wouldn't even need the Model 3 at all.

Because more or less the only reason I bought the Model 3 is for the range, as there is simply no alternative at that price to range ratio in that type of segment. And as we need a long range BEV replacement for our now sold family hauler VW Touran, the Model 3 was the only really viable choice at the moment.

Last edited:
Delivery hell for me finally over:

md3.jpg

Not everything went smoothly, a few things still have to get sorted, but overall, the delivery went far better than what I had feared after reading all the stories about panel gaps/misalignments and various other problems.
No special treatment by the way (no bow/ribbon like many others had, the car was just standing in one of their regular service bays and handed over in a way as if I had brought it in for service and was just collecting it again afterwards). Not that this mattered to me, just an observation, as for example in Hamburg deliveries appeared to have been treated like a special event. Probably don't have time here in Frankfurt. I asked the guy how many they currently deliver and he said between 20 and 25 per day. Just as I was about to leave, another carrier truck pulled up with more Model 3s. :)

My "stuff":
- valve cap on front passenger side wheel missing
- wrong set of USB charging cables (Apple instead of micro USB). They told me I would have to buy the correct one - we'll see about that
- left trunk light not working (fixed by service person right there and then)
- green "eco" sticker (mandatory in Germany) missing, even though I had specifically asked for it
- a few paint imperfections, but overall acceptable.
Only a small white spot - i.e. looks like a tiny paint chip, too deep to buff out - above the driver door handle is a bit annoying, but ok, it isn't an Audi after all.

Speaking of which, it is amazing how noisy the car is, especially when compared to the e-Golf.
Those hard Hankook tires certainly are no match for Michelin or Continental ride quality. But since these will one day get replaced anyway, there is hope for improvement.

Now I have to wait a couple of days until it's back from the wrap guy. But after three years, what's another week?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
I don’t even know where to start venting off my frustration
- Day one reservation holder
- Ordered 5 minutes after becoming available
- a lot of people are getting their model 3 in Portugal
- I don’t have a VIN, a Date, or any type of communication from tesla.
- all my process is approved

I’m out of ideas. It’s just very sad the way a 1st day reservation holder is being treated
Phone, phone, phone

Phone, phone, phone

Depends.

Over here, phoning was far less efficient than emailing. You constanly got into an automated queue, and when the computer asked you to press "1" to leave a message so they can get back to you, the reply you got from the machine was that the message box was full and couldn't accept any more messages. Had this each and every time I called.
Twice I waited for more than one hour on hold before I gave up. The only time I ever got through was once when using the phone number on the invoice, but that was like I said just one time I got lucky.

Everything else went via email or when Tesla called me on their own initiative.

All the while people ordering LRs in january of this year with no reservation and not being previous owners are getting their cars as soon as this coming saturday...

Infuriating.
I reserved on day one, 31 March 2016, more than three years ago. I configured and paid the deposit for an AWD LR in December. I told Tesla I would not arrive in France to collect the vehicle until 2 May. No probs they said, the car will be in Bordeaux waiting for you.
Now I'm told there are no suitable cars for me in Europe and the boats with more cars have not left the USA yet. I will have to wait until late May.
Go figure.

Last edited: