Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Auto Lane change in 32.12.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 with the lane change blockage is "ready for pickup" after a week of diagnosis. The report?

Escalated issue to Tesla engineering. This problem is a confirmed firmware bug present at the start of V10 firmware (uploaded to this vehicle on OCT 3 of this year) which leads to false object detection by the ultrasonic sensors which leads to the vehicle becoming unable to change lanes due to the constant belief on the vehicles behalf that there is an unseen object in the lane next to it. This behavior is known by the engineering team and they are working hard to create a fix for it in a future firmware update

So, in the meantime, for the few of us who see this bug, we seem to have 2 possible voodoo things to try: changing the lane change settings (and back?) and changing tire pressure (and back?). can't wait to try them on my car.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
Interesting report, thanks! I'll be keeping an eye out for those false object detections. In the past I have seen the car's display show correct indications for the concrete wall next to the fast lane but I don't think I've ever seen a false report when there's nothing there; either the wavies or images of phantom vehicles. I'm not driving as much as I used to (semi-retired) but I am planning some long trips in the next couple of days (>60 miles on highways).

My Model 3 with the lane change blockage is "ready for pickup" after a week of diagnosis. The report?

Escalated issue to Tesla engineering. This problem is a confirmed firmware bug present at the start of V10 firmware (uploaded to this vehicle on OCT 3 of this year) which leads to false object detection by the ultrasonic sensors which leads to the vehicle becoming unable to change lanes due to the constant belief on the vehicles behalf that there is an unseen object in the lane next to it. This behavior is known by the engineering team and they are working hard to create a fix for it in a future firmware update

So, in the meantime, for the few of us who see this bug, we seem to have 2 possible voodoo things to try: changing the lane change settings (and back?) and changing tire pressure (and back?). can't wait to try them on my car.

Another perfect day of lane changes with the higher presssures, that's 4 days running, I am going to switch back to my old pressures of 37psi cold tonight and see what my lane changes are like tommorow.

I will report my results tommorow evening.

This does explain why Pixie refused to snuggle in alongside any trucks!

I did have ONE issue today at 42 PSI... but it wasn't nearly as bad -- 80 highway miles driven today. Thanks for the report @Fernand -- you're appreciated!

Side note: Has anyone else given up on taking their car to the SC because they usually just report it as a "firmware bug" that will be elevated to engineering? Does "Send a Bug Report" do the same thing ya think?

I don't understand it, but let me tell ya all of it. I got my car back.

At the SC, they had Nicki waiting and I was SO happy to see him/her alive and shiny. And so happy to painlessly just dump the 75D Model S Enterprise Rental loaner. Ach, Model 3 owners, appreciate what we have!

At the SC they said they had WiFi-downloaded an update and to finish the installation when I got home. It was rush hour. Nicki guided me on the back roads, and I was stoked to use AP/AS/TACC here and there. Tires read 43 to 44 PSI. I got home, punched up the install from the little orange clock in the upper bar, and went inside. Later, after a late dinner, I checked over the phone app, and it said version ... 2019.32.12.2, same one. What?

After midnight I went to the car, put all my "stuff" back in the various cubbies, obvious and more discreet. And sure enough the screen showed release notes for the same 12.2 software version. I guess they had forced an update, but 12.2 is what was "the latest".

In accordance with post-update SOP I did a two scroll-wheel reset of the screen computer, put my Samsung in Flight mode to prevent them chatting, then powered the whole car off and sat for 3 minutes until it had been truly off a while, i.e. I performed a full reset. Then tapped brake pedal, it woke up, and I did some voodoo: changing many settings and changing them back. Especially lane change and other driving parameters.

The fog was exceptionally dense, downright spooky, but I bravely said "Navigate to Hotel X", drove to the freeway entrance and double-tapped into NOA while entering the freeway. Nobody out on the roadway, there was no reason for lane changes, so I initiated a dozen with the turn signals. Back and forth. Worked every time. Exited and turned around, said "Navigate Home", double-tapped NOA mode on the freeway on-ramp. Again, it changed lanes perfectly on demand, and then by itself when approaching my home exit in the fog, took the exit and coasted down in freeway ending mode.

Every lane change, everything, worked 100%.

We'll see tomorrow in the daytime, without the fog, but I suspect the voodoo done it, and not the not-update. But who knows. Guys, if you have The Problem, try repeating the steps I carried out. Oh, and for music too: play Angels of Comfort, by Iasos. It's beautiful, and who knows ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Puddles
Tested today in daytime. The warning lines only show up when appropriate. Every manually and automatically initiated lane change has now worked 100%. Very strange, but great. Or great but strange.

I'd love to hear from others with The Problem, if they've been able to correct it w/ full reboot and flipping various settings back and forth.

Another perfect day of lane changes with the higher presssures, that's 4 days running, I am going to switch back to my old pressures of 37psi cold tonight and see what my lane changes are like tommorow.

I will report my results tommorow evening.

Results for 37psi on my way to work -

14 lane changes.
8 successful first attempt changes.
6 failed lane changes*

* The failed lane changes did eventually complete but it took 3 to 4 aborts (car moved to the divide line and back to the center of the lane) to complete the change.

Back to 42psi for me!!

Results for 37psi on my way to work -

14 lane changes.
8 successful first attempt changes.
6 failed lane changes*

* The failed lane changes did eventually complete but it took 3 to 4 aborts (car moved to the divide line and back to the center of the lane) to complete the change.

Back to 42psi for me!!

Soooo.... if we set tires for 80psi, do we get FSD as well? :)

• Funny
Reactions: RayK and MarcG
My tires are still at 45 PSI per door jamb spec. All NOA automatic and manually initiated lane changes 100% successful so far.

People who are still having trouble, have you done the complete 1) screen reboot then 2) the whole power down with phone off, and 3) flipping driving parameters back and forth voodoo method?

Last edited:
No power off reboot accomplished, but its 100% after a 4.5-hour road trip each way. No further issues.

For future search: If your vehicle is having trouble with NoA automatic lane changes...
A full reboot of the vehicle may help.
The theory that ensuring your tires are fully aired up even during lower morning temperatures may prove fruitful.
Check to see if you are getting "wavy lines" behind your vehicle in the center display which is caused by false radar returns - causing aborted lane changes.

Final Fix: Update to 2019.36.2.1

Reactions: Fernand
We have rear facing radar?
Ultrasonic sensors according to Tesla engineering team
“Escalated issue to Tesla engineering. This problem is a confirmed firmware bug present at the start of V10 firmware (uploaded to this vehicle on OCT 3 of this year) which leads to false object detection by the ultrasonic sensors which leads to the vehicle becoming unable to change lanes due to the constant belief on the vehicles behalf that there is an unseen object in the lane next to it. This behavior is known by the engineering team and they are working hard to create a fix for it in a future firmware update”

Ultrasonic sensors according to Tesla engineering team
“Escalated issue to Tesla engineering. This problem is a confirmed firmware bug present at the start of V10 firmware (uploaded to this vehicle on OCT 3 of this year) which leads to false object detection by the ultrasonic sensors which leads to the vehicle becoming unable to change lanes due to the constant belief on the vehicles behalf that there is an unseen object in the lane next to it. This behavior is known by the engineering team and they are working hard to create a fix for it in a future firmware update”

There is a new bridge in Seattle (WA 520 for those in the area) that seems to play havoc with the ultra sensors. The surface new, mostly smooth, but striated slightly along the direction of travel (I assume for drainage). My ultra sensors are basically on all the time when I cross the bridge, regardless of traffic. And of course, the car absolutely refuses to change lanes. This was true in V9 and also V10. Everywhere else its fine, but something about that road surface messes it up. My suspicion is the grooves reflect enough ultrasound to appear as a false car reflection, but that's just a guess.

I've struggled with this problem for a long time. I reported it at a service appointment back in March (so 2019.8.3 for me) so it's been around much longer than the beginning of V10. In any event, I just had an interesting experience on 2019.36.2.1. Typically, any false object detection by the ultrasonic sensors will lead to an aborted lane change (or the multiple attempt swerving). Today, I saw several false detections during an automated lane change but the car went ahead and changed lanes without even a glitch. I verified it at least 3 times during today's trip. Very interesting...

Anybody else have a similar experience on 2019.36.2.1?

(Also - my tires are cold inflated to 45 psi and I've not tried the full reboot. I had bunches of false detections on CA 85 South around noon but none that I saw on CA 85 North around 3. It's like that for me - sometimes lots of them. Sometimes none.)

The lane change block due to IR sensor phantoms as I recall showed a wavy line along the car image, different from the semi-circular pattern radiating from corners that I see now when next to e.g. a wall.

Doing the power off full reboot has cured many intermittent issues in the past. FWIW I always do it after an update. And after the flight mode radio silence during the power off, I check if the Tesla up has an update available. I would suggest you do it, it only takes 5 minutes, what have you got to lose?

After reboot and fiddling with settings I had zero lane change anomalies with 2019.32.12.2, and now none with 2019.36.2.1 in 450 miles of freeway NOA through urban rush hour traffic and mountain passes in MadMax mode - I'd guess hundreds of lane changes.