Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Auto Lane change in 32.12.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Occasionally auto lane change in auto pilot (not navigate in auto pilot) would either not change lanes or start and abort the lane change repeatedly but rarely. Now under V10 32.12.2, auto lane change in autopilot is virtually unusable. Perhaps now it works 60% of the time, but increasingly I look like an idiot behind the wheel and have to take over the lane change manually. There may be no cars anywhere close to me and this behavior happens.

Anyone else experienced much worse performance with auto lane change on V10?

Occasionally auto lane change in auto pilot (not navigate in auto pilot) would either not change lanes or start and abort and start and about lane changes. Now under 32.12.2, auto lane change in autopilot is virtually unusable. Perhaps now it works 60% of the time, but increasingly I look like an idiot behind the wheel and have to take over the lane change manually.

Anyone else experienced much worse performance with auto lane change?

Yes. I had probably 100 failures or more on my road trip. I have updated software since then (to 2019.32.12.2) and haven't encountered subsequent difficulties - but I also haven't been driving the same interstates in Nevada and Utah (though California I-15 was also a problem to some extent), and I only drive on interstates infrequently (or am not using AP) when I'm at home in San Diego.

These issues occurred with absolutely no traffic except for the car/truck in front which I was passing (no traffic in the target lane in front or behind).

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
No major issues on 2019.32.12.2 for me, HW3 Model 3 AWD. The main issue is that it will switch directly to your right, or slow down to get behind a car, but it's not going to speed up and pull ahead of a car most of the time.

I think that's an intentional choice on their part, to limit the amount of acceleration it will do. It does get more aggressive if it is on NoA and trying to exit/merge, but even then you may need to take over.

On a recent trip to OR and back (~1200 miles total) on 32.12.2, I'd say Auto Lane Change worked well and smoothly maybe 95% of the time. But the 5% of exceptions stand out. The car vacillates about its decision to change, aborts for reasons undetectable to mortals, and makes me wonder what other drivers think about me.

Yes, my experience is that it's taken a step back. If you are in a rural area with low density traffic then it's okay. But a 3 or 4 lane highway in a city with heavy traffic then people think you're fresh out of driver's ed. Another issue that has regressed is exiting. Before if anything it was a little cautious about passing close to your exit. Now it wants to pass a semi that is going 2 mph faster than you with 1/2 mile to go before the exit. It gets about halfway through that procedure before you can see the gears in its head going "oh jeez, that was a bad idea". Frankly, I just have turned it to manual for all but rural driving trips. It's not a bother to me at all and I'll likely keep it that way until things improve.

I just have turned it to manual

I honestly don't really see the point of the automatic lane change mode with NoA - it's awfully frenetic and I see no downside to disabling ULC and just tapping the gear shift down lightly to confirm if I decide its requested lane change is a good idea. It still does everything for me (assuming lane changing doesn't fail); just provides a bit more control and does the lane changes for me.

Reactions: Chisale
Must agree here....

Just took a 1200 mile trip also....

I have to say, that 2 versions back was the best for me.... Nice smooth lane changes (about 4 seconds once it initiated turn signal) and great exiting...

During this last trip, it would take the car 7 seconds before it would attempt to make the lane change... and that is if it would complete the change.... In some cases, it would make the attempt 2 or 3 times before it would complete.... It was also making lanes changes for no reason only to again change the lane again after less than a minute on open highway with no traffic...

It was so bad, that I had to turn it off as it was scarring the crap out of my passengers....

I have soft booted and hard booted the car, but it doesn't correct...

So, I hope that the next version gets me back to where it was before.... This version is horrible for me.

You know, another thing. In my area, occasionally near exits, the Nav thinks it has to change lanes in order to stay on the route you're on. So if you have it set to automatic lane changes you're often changing lanes when there isn't another car within 1 mile of your location. And as Chris 350 said, it makes passengers nervous. They start looking around wondering why you're changing lanes all over the place with no car in sight. Now you can look down at the "Confirm Lane Change to Stay on Route" and just ignore it until the Nav figures out that, yes, you're still on the correct highway.

Reactions: beachmiles
I was using NoA with auto lane change on i84 in Oregon. Twice on my way from Hood River to Portland, the car stated a lane change then aborted AP all together forcing me to take over. There was a quick red steering wheel on the screen then it was off. It didn't give me anytime to make sure I was in control. No issues other than it being irritating.

I was using NoA with auto lane change on i84 in Oregon. Twice on my way from Hood River to Portland, the car stated a lane change then aborted AP all together forcing me to take over. There was a quick red steering wheel on the screen then it was off. It didn't give me anytime to make sure I was in control. No issues other than it being irritating.

Yeah.... This was also happening on my last trip this past weekend.... Along with the car signaling to make a lane change and before it would start the lane change, it would just stop signaling and not even attempt the lane change...

This happen a number of times without any traffic...

Yes, my experience is that it's taken a step back. If you are in a rural area with low density traffic then it's okay. But a 3 or 4 lane highway in a city with heavy traffic then people think you're fresh out of driver's ed. Another issue that has regressed is exiting. Before if anything it was a little cautious about passing close to your exit. Now it wants to pass a semi that is going 2 mph faster than you with 1/2 mile to go before the exit. It gets about halfway through that procedure before you can see the gears in its head going "oh jeez, that was a bad idea". Frankly, I just have turned it to manual for all but rural driving trips. It's not a bother to me at all and I'll likely keep it that way until things improve.
That's the reason I don't use Navigation of Auto Pilot. It's way late at starting lane change maneuvers.

Yes, this happens to me all the time, SPECIFICALLY on CA-85 going north, and I have no idea why, but it works perfect on all other freeways....must be the lane markers, the other day, it literally did the whole drive in the far right lane with the signal on, waiting to change lanes, but would not make the move. Then, I hit the left turn signal to get it to go, and it "ping ponged" back and fourth. Very dangerous.

Me too. Much higher rate of false starts and aborts when changing lanes, compared to V 9.

However, I also notice more sophistication in lane selection and merging. Quite often I’ll cancel a lane change thinking why? What were you doing?... and then 30 seconds later I have to admit it would have been a good move. I’m not sure I like a car that outwits me.

I think we are experiencing the effects of a more nuanced, but also more immature, level of technology. We’ve only had what 2? 3? Updates to V 10. I expect it to get better fairly quickly.

Reactions: CharleyBC
Occasionally auto lane change in auto pilot (not navigate in auto pilot) would either not change lanes or start and abort the lane change repeatedly but rarely. Now under V10 32.12.2, auto lane change in autopilot is virtually unusable. Perhaps now it works 60% of the time, but increasingly I look like an idiot behind the wheel and have to take over the lane change manually. There may be no cars anywhere close to me and this behavior happens.

Anyone else experienced much worse performance with auto lane change on V10?
Mine works fine.

Have you looked at the visualizations? It now tells you a lot of information. Is it showing red lines? Is it choosing a merge location? Does it show dotted lines to cross?

Occasionally auto lane change in auto pilot (not navigate in auto pilot) would either not change lanes or start and abort the lane change repeatedly but rarely. Now under V10 32.12.2, auto lane change in autopilot is virtually unusable.
The way I interpret the OP, the feature in question is Auto Lane Change initiated by the driver. Not he wrote “not navigate in auto pilot‘.

I think some responders in this thread are describing Auto Lane Change that is initiated by the car while in Navigate on Auto Pilot, which is not what I understand the OP is talking about.

Maybe I am confused. It would not be the first time...

I've seen this several times in the last couple of days. No indication from the visualizations that anything was amis, I also feel like an idiot when it happens :) I have increased my cruise speed in the last week or so, I'm going to drop back to my original setting and see whether that settles it down.

On a related note, I wish it would give me 2-3 seconds notification BEFORE turning on the blinker so I can override lane changes without looking quite so indecisive to other drivers!

Reactions: CharleyBC
I've seen this several times in the last couple of days. No indication from the visualizations that anything was amis, I also feel like an idiot when it happens :) I have increased my cruise speed in the last week or so, I'm going to drop back to my original setting and see whether that settles it down.

On a related note, I wish it would give me 2-3 seconds notification BEFORE turning on the blinker so I can override lane changes without looking quite so indecisive to other drivers!

When driving, you are surrounded by people you don't know, won't meet, and will never interact with. Does it matter what they think?