Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Auto Lane change in 32.12.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I interpret the OP, the feature in question is Auto Lane Change initiated by the driver. Not he wrote “not navigate in auto pilot‘.

I think some responders in this thread are describing Auto Lane Change that is initiated by the car while in Navigate on Auto Pilot, which is not what I understand the OP is talking about.

Maybe I am confused. It would not be the first time...
You're not confused. As originator of the topic, as stated, I am not referring to automatic lane change using Navigate on Autopilot. I refer to my experience using autopilot and initiating lane changes by using directional signal.

I refer to my experience using autopilot and initiating lane changes by using directional signal.

My issues mentioned above are with NoA, but with ULC disabled, so I assume the situation should be very similar to what you were describing...the only difference should be that the car knows which lane it wants to be in with NoA. But I'm still the one signalling, etc., when I want to change lanes.

Mine also showed nothing unusual in the visualizations - after all, really zero traffic around, except the car in front I was passing. No on-ramps, etc. - wide open interstate, simplest situation possible.

In the grand scheme of things? Nah, not really, I normally just chuckle to myself at the rookie mistake the car just made :)

On a larger scale though, the behavior of all of our cars collectively in autopilot will be the Tesla signature. It would be a shame to see people openly make fun of our now less decisive cars. Its a fine line between too aggressive, and too hesitant. Both extremes are dangerous!

I too have experienced this about 20% uncertainty of the lane changes and it is a troubling step backwards. Maybe this is the part of the NN learning where it forgets things it knew how to do before? I almost want to take it out of AP to make my lane changes, manually like a savage :p

I had more aborts early on with V10, I figured out it seemed to be more sensitive to having hand torque on wheel. Since then I think I've had maybe 2 aborts, and both were for obvious reasons.

...so, make sure the car knows you are there since in my experience that is the most common reason for an abort!

Rather then having to cancel automatic lane changes or miss opportunties when the car takes too long I just turn on the blinker and let the car do the rest.
Works fine this way and insures I'm paying attention to whats around me.

Weirdly, NoA seems much better on v10 for me. I do the same trip pretty frequently, so it's a relatively apples-to-apples comparison, and a week or so ago was the first time the car did the whole trip without me having to take over and without ever even once having it change it's mind once initiating a lane change.

I had more aborts early on with V10, I figured out it seemed to be more sensitive to having hand torque on wheel. Since then I think I've had maybe 2 aborts, and both were for obvious reasons.

...so, make sure the car knows you are there since in my experience that is the most common reason for an abort!
I always drive with one hand providing torque to the wheel at all times, especially when lane changing.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Adding my experience since as many are keen to point out when things are wonk 'it's beta....'.

Previous to this release I had few aborts and usually when a car was coming up from behind, albeit a distance away. Recently however, the car tends to slowly oscillate between lane marking which can be unsettling, and lane changes are unusable/unsafe. It will abort and fly back into original lane even though it was literally what seems like inches from being i correct lane. It's scary and other drivers must keek their pants on seeing it next to them.

I still try now and then but I feel very anxious now, this morning for example it was midway through lanes change, nothing around that I could tell would interfere (I always check), when it bounced back into lane, then back again. I don't know how many times it would have done this as I aborted, but bejeezus !

I'm same commute every day, so it's fairly easy to compare although I'm aware there are still may variables such as time of day, weather etc.

ps. I know it's beta, yes it will get better, etc. but that also makes is willing QA Testers so these posts may be important info.

Occasionally auto lane change in auto pilot (not navigate in auto pilot) would either not change lanes or start and abort the lane change repeatedly but rarely. Now under V10 32.12.2, auto lane change in autopilot is virtually unusable. Perhaps now it works 60% of the time, but increasingly I look like an idiot behind the wheel and have to take over the lane change manually. There may be no cars anywhere close to me and this behavior happens.

Anyone else experienced much worse performance with auto lane change on V10?
I have some issue. I think this is a software install issue. An update fixed it but today started to happen on my 32.12.2. It is not the issues I have seen in comments, rather just continual failure after failure.

Anyone else having a problem with auto lane change? I find it either.

1) Takes a minute or two to change lanes (Blinker flashing cars in front, but nothing to either side )
2) Starts to change lanes than pulls back causing me to take control and swerve like an ass.

Also the Nag also seems to have gotten worse.

After not having to drive my car for the last couple of weeks, I finally took it out on a drive up to SF and used NoA most of the way. This was on Highway 85 and I280 North, if it really makes any difference (I would say not after making one adjustment). I attempted to use the Auto Lane Change function and was immediately concerned. 70mph, in the fast lane, right blinker on, absolutely no traffic behind or adjacent and no movement after at least 10 seconds. So I manually moved over (cancelling AS). Tried auto lane change a couple of more times and the same thing; the car would not move over in what I would consider a reasonable amount of time. So I dove into the menus. Changed Speed Based Lane Changes from "Mild" to "Mad Max". That did it. Now, after about 3-5 seconds, the car moved over.