Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Energy Savings Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've turned on energy savings mode recently. However, it has effects I did not expect.

It seems to take a LONG time for the car to wake up. First the instrument cluster wakes up. A few minutes later the center screen has not woke up. I then try a reboot. A minute or so later it wakes. Yesterday when I went through this process I got a notice that my emergency breaking was disabled.

Have others had these types of issues with the energy savings mode? I have turned if off. The problems are too much for me to save a bit on my vampire drain.

Note that you can't turn energy savings off at night. It's on whether you want it or not.
What I'm referring to is the buttons on the Power Management setting. It is set for either ON or OFF. There is a checkbox to the right. I have it set to unchecked (not always connected).

always-connected.jpg

I expect some slower response as the price to pay for putting energy savings ON. Like putting your computer in sleep versus OFF. However, with several minutes to wake after pressing the break and the center console not coming on at all, it seems excessive to restart or reboot or whatever the car is doing. I should mention that I there are periods of 2 or 3 days since I last drove the car. But, it takes so long I would say the car is not in deep sleep, but more like a coma.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoodCheer
OP, does that long boot up happen every time? If so it is not normal and you should get your car checked. I have energy saving and and always connected off. It takes maybe 10-15 sec to wake the car up upon entry and app access can be delayed for up to a minute using the phone (it says waking up on the app).

I had only one case where th systems took minutes to come online and that’s because that MCU probably crashed while I was away from the car and it has to go through a full reboot.

Reactions: jaguar36
I'll try turning it back ON and record the time to come up. It sounds like, however, my case is not the standard experience. I turned it on originally due to large vampire drains. About 30 RM after a couple of days. My weather here is mild (40-50 at night, 70-80 during the day). I'm wonder if the vampire drain is due to big WiFi transmissions back to the mother ship.

I'll try turning it back ON and record the time to come up. It sounds like, however, my case is not the standard experience. I turned it on originally due to large vampire drains. About 30 RM after a couple of days. My weather here is mild (40-50 at night, 70-80 during the day). I'm wonder if the vampire drain is due to big WiFi transmissions back to the mother ship.
Sorry, I mean I have energy savings ON and always connected OFF.
I turned it off so Teslafi can properly detect sleep and not continuously poll the car to keep it from sleeping. I used to have Energy Savings ON and always connected ON. There was a bit more vampire drain but it would react much faster when I use the app.

I've turned on energy savings mode recently. However, it has effects I did not expect.

It seems to take a LONG time for the car to wake up. First the instrument cluster wakes up. A few minutes later the center screen has not woke up. I then try a reboot. A minute or so later it wakes. Yesterday when I went through this process I got a notice that my emergency breaking was disabled.

Have others had these types of issues with the energy savings mode? I have turned if off. The problems are too much for me to save a bit on my vampire drain.
I've had it take 10 minutes one time (dash worked, center screen took 10 minutes for logo to come on, I seriously thought it was broken). SC indicated it can take longer to wake up with power savings. Most days it's really fast. I have < 30 second wake times in the mornings half the time. It's the inconsistency which bothers me, though I suspect there's an engineer somewhere who knows exactly what the conditions are that cause this but it may be considered too abstract for customers.

I'm trying an experiment. I'm thinking the long wait is due to the car going to a deep sleep. I changed my car back to energy saving ON. 24 hours later I opened the car and the instrument cluster the center screen came on almost immediately. I will try again after 48 hours without driving nor checking the car status. The people that have commented I'm wondering if they are using the car more frequently then once a day.

I have energy saving on, always connected off.

Using the app, the car takes 30-60s to respond before I can issue commends.
Everyday when I go into the car in the morning, it gets ready to go in about 10-15s
One time when I left it parked at the airport for 4 days, it took 5 minute before it is ready to go when I got back. Maybe there is a 2nd sleep stage that it goes into that takes a long time to wake from if you park it (without plugging in) for an extended period of time.

I've had some issues with this as well. My touchscreen comes on quickly but the car and dash screen take awhile to boot up. I've only tried to use the mobile app to turn on the car once and the car never woke up. Bluetooth has been a bit janky as well. My music (Spotify) will resume where I left it but then pause after 1-2 seconds. Seems like my iPhone and the car are battling whether or not the music should be paused. I usually have to manually hit play either on the car or the phone to get it to resume and stay on.

Debating how much energy I'm actually saving and if it's worth the hassle.

jrad6515, did you get an answer? I have that same screen you posted. What software are you on? I have 2018.14 and do not have the "always connected" option and connecting from app is always slow and often times out.

I never got an answer but someone posted somewhere that Tesla took that particular option off of the settings menu with one of the newer updates. I am on 2018.10.14 But noticed it first with 2018.10.6

My wife just took a trip and we had energy savings mode on in our X. We had several issues. The AC just turned completely off. This is in Florida in the summer so that was not a fun experience. We were advised to do a reboot and the screen completely froze. Did several reboots. AC finally came back on an hour later after we recharged but the screen stayed frozen. We took it to the nearest Tesla service station and they advised to turn off the energy savings mode. We had 4 kids in the car and they all were connected to USB and that combined with the energy savings mode caused the issue according to our service report.