Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Product sales through TMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has come to my attention that some of our well respected and talented forum members feel hindered by TMC rules and regulations applying to new product advertisement and sales. Case in point - the CAN logger discussion over in wk's thread. What exactly do these rules stipulate?

IMO, if someone wishes to offer a $100 fully assembled CAN logger then they are doing us all a favor. We should foster innovation and curiosity instead of squashing it under the pretense of "commercial product placement."

We allow folks to sell $100,000 cars thru TMC and yet we draw the line for someone wishing to recoup costs associated with assembling a performance logger for the hardcore enthusiast? Where is the sense in all this? What am I missing?

It has come to my attention that some of our well respected and talented forum members feel hindered by TMC rules and regulations applying to new product advertisement and sales. Case in point - the CAN logger discussion over in wk's thread. What exactly do these rules stipulate?

No idea of the situation (don't follow that thread), but I can say the mods try to offer a level playing field to all. Being a 'respected & talented' forum member doesn't usually get an exception. We all agreed to the TOS when joining the forum.

Bottom line - it's hard enough moderating a Wild West show like this forum. But expecting moderators to then apply the same rules differently for one member over another just begs for trouble of the kind 'well why can't I do it? you let them do it over there!'.

Why is it such a big deal to just offer anything for sale through one place?

My point is folks should be allowed to sell performance loggers through this site. Disregard my other comment about the requirement that they be "well respected and talented."

I was also very shocked to hear that @lolachamp felt he was walking a fine line by offering a $20 fob transmitter to forum users. Why would TMC take issue with someone taking initiative and offering an at-cost product to users?

My point is folks should be allowed to sell performance loggers through this site. Disregard my other comment about the requirement that they be "well respected and talented."

I was also very shocked to hear that @lolachamp felt he was walking a fine line by offering a $20 fob transmitter to forum users. Why would TMC take issue with someone taking initiative and offering an at-cost product to users?

As far as I know, folks ARE allowed to sell performance loggers through TMC. It sounds like the only ask was that they do it under the same process as everyone else. TMC doesn't vet sales for 'how much profit is being made'.

I personally was shocked to hear that lolachamp didn't get paid by everyone who got the 'at cost' fob transmitter from him before. That's money out of his pocket. He was already giving the time for free. Really disappointing to hear that about forum members. But the obvious solution is to use the Marketplace that is set up - he would have been paid and it could have all been handled professionally.

Anyway, if lola or others are upset about it, they need to take it up with TMC administration. I'm absolutely 100% positive it's not personal, just a 'level playing field' thing. But neither you nor I can speak for the people involved. I can only point to the reasons in the past.

Lola?