TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Production Build Time Frame - 1 day?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TrevTremaine, Apr 13, 2017.

1. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Just out of curiosity, has Tesla done something to speed up the time frame to build a Model S? According to MyTesla, it took all of 1 day to complete - it's now at "built and in transit from the factory". Yesterday it just started the build. Last year it took about 4-5 days to build it. Is this due to extra workers/automation on the line, or something askew in MyTesla?

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

It honestly doesn't take that much time to assemble the vehicle. Think the actual time it spends going thru the motions is only 17-18 hours. Car companies like GM or Toyota build theirs even faster.

3. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I'm not disputing that it's possible, but given last year it took a week to build and this year it was less than a day is quite significant progress (hopefully, there's a final inspection as well). I would say you're about spot on for the 17-18 hours as that's about how long it took for mine.

4. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Yup. That seems to be the going rate.