Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy Holidays!

I thought I should add that by New Year's they will have made 150 roadsters! I'm sure anyone who got Tesla's holiday e-mail already knows this, but...

We are producing about 15 Roadsters per week and will have delivered nearly 150 Roadsters by the end of this year, but the century mark will likely go down as an important milestone in the company’s history. It signifies that Tesla is no longer just a Silicon Valley startup cranking out interesting prototypes – rather, we’re a legitimate production company and the newest member of the global automotive industry.

exciting! They're sure ramping it up. Looks like that 30 a week figure for March doesn't seem so far-fetched after all!:biggrin:

Production Update

From their newsletter:

"Production Update
display_data.php

We delivered about 150 Roadsters in 2008, and we plan to ramp up production from 15 per week to about 30 per week later this year."

Confirmed where? MPT's source is just the same newsletter.
I know that 150 before the new year was their goal. The guys in the shop were working long hours and weekends to do that. But "about" could just as easily mean they fell a little short. It doesn't really matter, though. They've likely past 150 by now.

So close it makes you mad it ain't there!

Three cars, only three. If 2008 was a leap year they would have made it! No, wait... 2008 was a leap year ...

Now they can try and deliver more than 500 cars in the first half of the year to make up for this little slip :p

So based on the 100th roadster announcement at the beginning of the month, it does seem that they are truly delivering about 15 per week. Probably more if you take away any time they may have shut down for the holiday.

If they keep at this rate, I suppose they will get to my car by end of May or June... hopefully they will increase production even more before then. (Hint: my birthday is in April).

147 by end of December 2008 and then more than three whole months to deliver additional 60 cars to come to 217? At 15 cars per week that should be done in one month not three :confused:

Edit: Gotcha! Boat! So, they intend to start crossing the pond by boat. I guess there ain't enough planes for 60+ cars per month :)

Last edited:
Tesla was paying for free air freight for the early orders, for the people who paid the full price two and a half years ago. That's over now. Crossing the ocean by ship adds about 6 weeks to the delivery time, so there's going to be a big gap in deliveries until the gliders start arriving by ship. Of course, some owners may choose to pay for the air freight...

I am currently sitting in Menlo Park downtown at a restaurant.
I just had a test drive in a VP Glacier Blue Tesla Roadster. Great fun on the highway and around Stanford.

The highest VIN number I saw was #143 and it was finished and waiting for pickup by the owner.
So that is actually # 170 once you count the 27 Founder deliveries.

They are still flying gliders from England. They are currently doing a test shipment via ship with 3 gliders to figure out how long it really takes.
Those 3 gliders are on a boat right now.

Currently gliders are sent via air on "standby". If there is ever room on a plane, then a glider goes. They are just waiting at the airport and go whenever there is space available. I guess it is cheaper if Tesla is just filling the available cargo space on any plane that is going the right direction.

George Clooney's car was in for the 1.5 upgrade while I was there.

They delivered 70 cars in December.
They are aiming for 20 cars per week in February.

I am doing another test drive tomorrow in a fully finished marketing car, Electric Blue.
They look nice when they are done for customers. Much better than that VP Grey Roadster that they had in Seattle.

James

Last edited: