Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Green Car Congress:

"Tesla has delivered about 320 Roadsters so far"

"Separately, Tesla delivered 104 Roadsters to customers in March, marking the first triple-digit delivery month in the company’s history. Tesla delivered more than 170 cars in the first quarter—more than the total delivered in 2008."

From Green Car Congress:

"Tesla has delivered about 320 Roadsters so far"

"Separately, Tesla delivered 104 Roadsters to customers in March, marking the first triple-digit delivery month in the company’s history. Tesla delivered more than 170 cars in the first quarter—more than the total delivered in 2008."

So what does that mean for cash flow...anyone that's an accountant?

So what does that mean for cash flow...anyone that's an accountant?

I did some calculations earlier this year that Tesla would be burning through $5 million per month until they reach the Roadsters that have only a $5,000 deposit.

If you assume the early depositor money was burned up during development in 2007 and 2008 and they were down to $9 million in late 2008, then that means they are cash flow negative on most of the Roadsters being produced now.

Most of the current Roadsters being built have about a $50,000 deposit so Tesla is collecting about $50,000 to $60,000 for finishing these orders. They are about to reach the "patient" owners that have a $30,000 deposit, so their cash flow will improve a little.

Supposedly it costs about $90,000 in parts just to build one Roadster. So we can assume that Tesla is cash flow negative on each Roadster for now.

When they reach the $5,000 deposits and those people pay, then I believe Tesla will be cash flow positive.

Just my opinion. I have no special knowledge or anything.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Good work with the license plate on the red one. Does it not affect the cooling?

That Roadster owner is not active on this website, but I can answer that. We don't think it will affect cooling, but obviously it is too early to know for sure.

To make it fit he had to shave the bottom of the license plate. He still has some work to do.

I plan on just driving without the front license plate. The Roadster is too beautiful to mess up the front like that. There is a legal process in the state of Washington to obtain a waiver and avoid the front license plate.

That Roadster owner is not active on this website, but I can answer that. We don't think it will affect cooling, but obviously it is too early to know for sure.

To make it fit he had to shave the bottom of the license plate. He still has some work to do.

I plan on just driving without the front license plate. The Roadster is too beautiful to mess up the front like that. There is a legal process in the state of Washington to obtain a waiver and avoid the front license plate.

Interesting, I hope that since the Model S will be sold across the country and overseas that they take the front plate mount into consideration. I'm required to have one on the front in Missouri as well.