Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should have mentioned that the reason they have pushed up the color lock-in date so much is that they think there is a chance they can ramp up production even faster than this. If that happens it would be unfair to ask the buyer to choose colors with so little warning.

My current number is now #471. This puts my delivery estimate (all subject to change in either direction) in May. Which would make my balance due in Feb if I am understanding it all correctly.

That's not consistent with the info I've received from Tesla.

I'm #795. I was told last month that that means "our best estimate puts delivery at mid May. Balance payment will happen 3 months prior to the build of your car, so 4 months prior to the delivery date."

So for #795: Balance due mid-January. Delivery mid-May.

(Unless things have changed during the past 4 weeks).

That's not consistent with the info I've received from Tesla.

I'm #795. I was told last month that that means "our best estimate puts delivery at mid May. Balance payment will happen 3 months prior to the build of your car, so 4 months prior to the delivery date."

So for #795: Balance due mid-January. Delivery mid-May.

(Unless things have changed during the past 4 weeks).

Yes, I misunderstood the gap between payment and delivery. I was under the impression that the balance was due 3 months before you receive the car. It seems more like the balance is due 3 months before they start building the car.

Definitive information from Tesla that I have received: I am #471. My color picks need to be locked in by Oct 24. My balance will be due in Dec.

All other dates of when the car will get here have been me extrapolating (sometimes erroneously). I must say I don't quite understand how they plan to be at a production rate where they take money for #471 one month and #795 the next. I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if I receive my car one month, and Tesla_Dave the next.

Dave and Graham,

At 645, I sit almost in the middle between the two of you. I have ways been told my balance would be due "around the end of the year." That sort of make sense from the info you guys have been batting around. I've also been told delivery around April, so I would expect Graham's car before May.

Wouldn't ya think?

Tim

At the Seattle-area owners town hall on September 25th, we were told that next week (week of Sept 29th) they would start receiving cars exiting from the 10/week production rate and would start installing drive train 1.5, and that it takes each car about two weeks to go through the installation and testing process. So, I'd expect that they would start delivering 10 cars per week starting at the beginning of this week, give or take, beginning in the low Signature 100's.

Has anyone received their Roadster with drive train 1.5?

Further updates from Tesla: I have been trading voice mails and emails with my sales guy there.

Previously the color lock-in date was tied to the balance due date. Also previously the 50% deposit was 100% refundable up until the "lock-in date". I wrote to ask if those things were all still tied together. After my color lock-in date on Oct 24, would my $50,000 deposit no longer be refundable? Or was it still up until my balance due date?

His reply: They are changing things for the 2008s. Now all money will be due upon delivery of the vehicle, and deposits will be refundable all the way up until that point.

Additionally, he mentioned that the balance-due date (the original lock-in date) was supposed to be 3 months and 1 week from delivery of the car, not 3 months from beginning to build the car. (essentially 5 months before delivery)

I am waiting for his reply (again) but I think that means since my lock-in date was Dec, car #471 will be delivered in the March-April time frame, not May. This time schedule is probably different between the 2008s and the 2009s which perhaps led to the confusion of the length of time between payment and delivery.

I wonder if that means I can catch the California $5000 tax credit expiring March 31...

Tesla called me earlier this evening. They confirmed that my balance and taxes are due upon delivery. I tried to pin him down on a delivery date. He now claims May with the build beginning in March

Back to no tax credit for me.

Oh, and for those interested, my color kit arrived in the mail today.

Just in case anyone still doubts that Roadsters are being delivered at an ever-faster pace (10 cars per week is the current claim), I snapped this picture with my phone yesterday around noon at the Menlo Park store. There are at least 11 cars visible in this shot, with a few more I couldn't squeeze into the frame.

90d1224890087-production-status-menlo-park-store.jpg

The faster they go, the sooner they'll get to mine!

Attachments

• Menlo Park Store.jpg
    Menlo Park Store.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
I was in earlier in the week to have a final look at colors and counted about 30 total between the main service floor, outside, and back service bay. I should have paid more attention to the tags on the cars - the highest number I remember is 39, which would be 66 total (assuming 27 Founders' cars). I would guess that they will be nearing the 100 delivered mark very soon.

Jay

I was in earlier in the week to have a final look at colors and counted about 30 total between the main service floor, outside, and back service bay. I should have paid more attention to the tags on the cars - the highest number I remember is 39, which would be 66 total (assuming 27 Founders' cars). I would guess that they will be nearing the 100 delivered mark very soon.

Jay

I hope that they can really ramp up the production now. The already late production start was announced March, 19th. Now, 31 weeks later....the result isn´t very impressive...how many cars have been delivered yet, 35?

With so many Roadsters there on the floor, I wonder if drivetrain installation and vehicle verification is becoming a bottleneck.

Yeah I'm wondering that too; I have no doubts Lotus can churn out 10 gliders a week but I have doubts that TM can do 10 (or more if they are still a little behind) drivetrain installations and vehicle verifications in a week.