Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production hell: AWD vs base model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that can adding AWD to the current long range model premium in term of production as oppose to the base model. In addition it will be additional funds for Tesla. Or is it that the motor production is the bottle neck?

I don't think there's a specific bottleneck. They're just trying to keep everything as dirt simple as possible for the chaos of production ramp-up. And so they don't want to mess with the engineering and assembly systems of a second drive train. More parts = more problems.

Reactions: Alketi
Yep. Every configuration needs to be tested backwards and forwards, both in assembly and in usage. Resources are limited, and reservations are plentiful. So it's only logical to apply the KISS principle and focus just on one version at first.

Don't worry, they'll get to you :)

Yep. Every configuration needs to be tested backwards and forwards, both in assembly and in usage. Resources are limited, and reservations are plentiful. So it's only logical to apply the KISS principle and focus just on one version at first.

Don't worry, they'll get to you :)

I get that, but it seems to me that the base version vs the premium is more changes (more parts) as oppose to just adding the AWD to the premium. But yes this view is biased because I want to get the AWD with premium. However we have seen dual motor pre-released (based on VIN) but no base model and I think the metallic silver from the first announcement was also a dual motor. So it seems like some testing went toward the dual motor, the base model is still a total mystery.

Yes, I'm somewhat surprised that the dual motor represents such a production disruption. Especially with all the MS "dual motor" experience, and level of assembly automation used. I wouldnt be surprised as cost come down that Tesla only builds AWD vehicles.

...So it's only logical to apply the KISS principle and focus just on one version at first.
If it's KISS, then we might expect only one additional Model 3 variant: PD. The MS 75D could get cut, and the Model 3 AWD is only available as a 3.9 sec performance version. So, 3 versions of Model 3 and 2 versions of Model S. Just a thought.

Last edited:
They probably decided more people would want the PUP than AWD. Plus, having AWD or even Perf as first model off the line means an even greater price difference from the much-touted $35K base price, which puts some people off. I'm still waiting for Perf, at least until more details come out.

I get that, but it seems to me that the base version vs the premium is more changes (more parts) as oppose to just adding the AWD to the premium. But yes this view is biased because I want to get the AWD with premium. However we have seen dual motor pre-released (based on VIN) but no base model and I think the metallic silver from the first announcement was also a dual motor. So it seems like some testing went toward the dual motor, the base model is still a total mystery.

I think it's just easier all round for Tesla to build real cars as 1-motor RWD and only then work on the final control of the 2-motor AWD system. It also allows cars at the targeted base price.

AWD is very complicated. Extra motor, more high voltage wiring and electronics. The software/firmware calibration for both motors is very difficult. ABS, traction control, cooling/venting of the motor. There is a lot of additional product validation testing required.

Reactions: DR61
AWD is very complicated. Extra motor, more high voltage wiring and electronics. The software/firmware calibration for both motors is very difficult. ABS, traction control, cooling/venting of the motor. There is a lot of additional product validation testing required.
Fairly positive that's been done already ... you might have seen them at launch. It's now about manufacturability.

Not if they don't make any of the base version at all, which is where we are now.

Silver alpha prototype revealed 17 month ago was reported in several sources as being Dual motor. Someone figure out how to build one.;)
Remember were a year past "pencils down" so all but tuning/conformance testing must be done for duals.

May also come down to risk of failure which could easily double for AWD. My guess is the initial spec was designed in an attempt to maximize production, maximize margins, and minimize risk.

Silver alpha prototype revealed 17 month ago was reported in several sources as being Dual motor. Someone figure out how to build one.;)
Remember were a year past "pencils down" so all but tuning/conformance testing must be done for duals.

Yeah but that alpha was probably built with Model S motors/control hardware. Not the new Model 3 motors/control units/etc.

They probably decided more people would want the PUP than AWD

Having PUP first meant they can show off a beautiful interior. If the basic package was first the press would be "a spartan car with lots of electronic gizmos". AWD first would be a feature everyone understands but which offers no visuals for publicity.

They really didn't have any choice.

The PUP really sells the car.

I think it's just easier all round for Tesla to build real cars as 1-motor RWD and only then work on the final control of the 2-motor AWD system. It also allows cars at the targeted base price.

Exactly. The need to sell the 35K car that they promised. And that means RWD. The nicer interior isn't a lot of extra design effort or risk for the engineering team, and you need to have it, or the car will be lambasted as being an econobox.