Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production (Non-Sig) Model X Vin #'s now being issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So do you think the VIN (in terms of producing in sequence) is meaningless like the res # was ?

While I'm happy to have received a VIN, my current position is that it means nothing, and neither does the hidden Late March-Early April text on the page (I also see that on mine). Wouldn't complain about being wrong, but I just don't see it as being remotely realistic.

While I'm happy to have received a VIN, my current position is that it means nothing, and neither does the hidden Late March-Early April text on the page (I also see that on mine). Wouldn't complain about being wrong, but I just don't see it as being remotely realistic.

I think you are right. Glad I have my VIN as well... Not stressing it will get here when it does :)

So do you think the VIN (in terms of producing in sequence) is meaningless like the res # was ?

VIN is an indication they have ordered parts for your car and a very rough sequence of when it will come off the line. After the line there's some variable amount of time in QA (which should get less and less variable as they get things dialed in) before the factory releases it for delivery.

My guess is they had some critical parts that weren't available, they got a good YUGE supply of them recently and are reasonably confident they can start cranking production up. But the estimated delivery time in there is almost certainly pulled from their internal systems (most likely Salesforce) and no date means the factory hasn't estimated a date yet.

Yeah - I don't even have my purchase contract yet (we're waiting for the appraiser to check out my old car to get the proper trade-in value), and I'm guessing that the factory won't begin production until the purchase contract is a done deal. But my DS is still as optimistic as ever.

VIN is an indication they have ordered parts for your car and a very rough sequence of when it will come off the line. After the line there's some variable amount of time in QA (which should get less and less variable as they get things dialed in) before the factory releases it for delivery.

My guess is they had some critical parts that weren't available, they got a good YUGE supply of them recently and are reasonably confident they can start cranking production up. But the estimated delivery time in there is almost certainly pulled from their internal systems (most likely Salesforce) and no date means the factory hasn't estimated a date yet.

Peter thank you! Very logically explained now I think I have a better understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah - I don't even have my purchase contract yet (we're waiting for the appraiser to check out my old car to get the proper trade-in value), and I'm guessing that the factory won't begin production until the purchase contract is a done deal. But my DS is still as optimistic as ever.

My trade has been appraised, but my DS for this purchase still has not returned my emails or calls. I just bought a MS in December and that transaction was smooth this one is not. No communication.

OK, haven't looked at the page source since I got my VIN. At that time it had the Late March - Early April hidden dates that it seems a lot of people have. Just checked it and that is gone. Now I have an id="delivery-acceptance-date" class="hidden">March 7, 2016 in it's place. So, that's today's date... And I think it a bit coincidental and I would be premature to get excited over it -- especially since I seem to have a proactive DS that wants to keep me in the loop. I'll check it tomorrow and see what's up...

I feel like I'm on Oprah, everyone is getting VINs. Received mine as well.

48xx in Portland. I'm still assuming late summer, can't get my hopes up. 90D, 6-seat, no premium.

I was US reservation #20,xxx (Aug 2015) so I'm thinking either a very small percentage are confirming orders. First I thought it might be west coast only getting this batch of VINs, but there appear to be plenty of other areas too.

I feel like I'm on Oprah, everyone is getting VINs. Received mine as well.

48xx in Portland. I'm still assuming late summer, can't get my hopes up. 90D, 6-seat, no premium.

I was US reservation #20,xxx (Aug 2015) so I'm thinking either a very small percentage are confirming orders. First I thought it might be west coast only getting this batch of VINs, but there appear to be plenty of other areas too.

I have a 16XX but I have no Delivery Estimate so who knows you could get yours before me. Look in your source code to see your Delivery Estimate... you may have one.

90D confirmed on 3/5 with 6 seat white interior, 22 black onyx wheels, all options except audio. Vin assigned today 47xx. Hidden expected delivery date field on myTesla page is late April-mid May. Seems highly optimistic and not expecting until summer. We will see.
From your source code estimated delivery in comparison to mine, the system is placing 2000 production per month. I feel it can't be right unless Tesla is closer to their optimistic production goal of 1000/week as in Q2 projection...