Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Highland (Investor impact etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt this release is going to lift revenue and profit in the US market. I suspect most buyers would opt for an inventory car that's $3k-$4k cheaper until inventory runs out. None of the configurations available for custom order qualifies for the IRA credit, and custom order price is the same as before the refresh.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
I doubt this release is going to lift revenue and profit in the US market.
It isn't a short-term play.

The previous version didn't qualify for the IRA credit.

Releasing the Highland version is probably a critical component of producing the upgraded Performance Model 3 which should have good margins.

IMO the Highland SR/LR versions will sell just well, and perhaps slightly better than the previous versions, in spite of the upgraded features, margins are probably the same or slightly better.

Tesla needed to improve Model 3 to retain market share against improving competition. Outside of the US, that is mainly the BYD Seal which is a pretty good car.

The discounts on inventory will allow Tesla to clear stock of the previous version.

I am not sure what you wanted Tesla to do, they have probably taken the best available option.

Reactions: petit_bateau
In that list of 47 changes, it's curious there's no mention of HW4 w/camera changes.
Hadn't Model 3 already moved to HW4 w/camera changes? So, it wasn't a change for the Highland refresh.

Strange not to mention this major change.

It would be more strange to mention it as a change when the prior version already had it.

Reactions: Hiline
Hadn't Model 3 already moved to HW4 w/camera changes? So, it wasn't a change for the Highland refresh.

It would be more strange to mention it as a change when the prior version already had it.
Just curious when this may have happened. I see from the web that for Model Y,
cars after May 2023 had the change, e.g. from web search:
  • Fremont Model Y Builds - VIN F789400 or higher
  • Austin Model Y Builds - VIN A130120 or higher
Info about when this happened for Model 3 is welcome.