Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Highland (Investor impact etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 Highland features suggest it is designed to command a higher price point.

Seems like Highland may not be released in US until 1Q 2024.

Tesla has been warning us that M3 may only qualify for 1/2 of tax credits in 2024, presumably due to losing battery portion from China LFP.

Does the Highland timing suggest Tesla isn't just trying to get us to buy now and that the warning is real? Or is the timing pure coincidence?

If M3 Highland is designed to command a higher price point, buyers will see an effectively higher price if they lose the battery portion of tax credits in 2024.

Top-notch editing by Autocar.

Untitled.jpg

my speculation:

Tesla is delaying performance/sport/plaid version of Highland Model 3 from Shanghai pending Fremont factory upgrades. Currently the absence of such a model helps prevent some degree of osborning in USA.

To me it is inevitable that Fremont line will be upgraded for Highland, so the question is when?

My thinking is that as soon as Tesla secures its 1.8m 2023 target, then they can re-tool. As such it would make sense sometime soon after Christmas for the Fremont line upgrade.

Performance/Plaid/Sport M3 Highland can then be launched worldwide at once early 2024. No osborning, no problems.

As such, I don't expect any news on this at Cybertruck launch event next week. If I'm right, the first sign will likely be when we hear some Fremont staff are advised of extended holiday time this Xmas.

M3 Highland features suggest it is designed to command a higher price point.

Seems like Highland may not be released in US until 1Q 2024.

Tesla has been warning us that M3 may only qualify for 1/2 of tax credits in 2024, presumably due to losing battery portion from China LFP.

Does the Highland timing suggest Tesla isn't just trying to get us to buy now and that the warning is real? Or is the timing pure coincidence?

If M3 Highland is designed to command a higher price point, buyers will see an effectively higher price if they lose the battery portion of tax credits in 2024.

Looks like Tesla has changed its website language, and only $3750 in federal credits will be available next year (when Highland rolls out in the US at some point) on these versions.