Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Highland (Investor impact etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla-Model-3-refresh-inerior.jpg

New Tesla Model 3 refresh leaked photo reveals steering wheel

Is it too obvious to prospective MY buyers that Y would eventually get the same interior and interior treatment as the M3 gets? -> some would hold off with their Y purchases?

If the answer is yes, that would be one reason why all Highland visual changes need to carry over to the Y not too long after 3.

The other reason is parts commonality. Tesla was very intentional with 3/Y commonality and made a big deal of them sharing 76% of parts at the launch. These are some of the 3 and Y currently shared components, impacted by Highland:
  • Interior
    • Seats
    • Dashboard
    • Console
    • Steering wheel
  • Exterior
    • Headlights
    • Taillights
In the design compromise for components to be shared between two cars, the Highland versions of these parts are likely leaning more toward being optimized for Y rather than 3, since it is the higher volume car of the two.
The time required for fully ramping up production of the Highland parts is probably the reason to start with 3, with its lower volume. But to assume non parts commonality for any length of time seems wrong. That's why I bet the Y will follow suit very soon after 3. Probably a massive demand booster when it happens.

Another example where Tesla could choose to bring 3 and Y further upmarket ahead of gen 3. MY is already the top spec car in UK for instance.

Introducing noise cancellation would be zero cost pretty much and give great benefit. Actually makes sense to carry across to gen 3 given that they will be used as robotaxis mostly.

I have previously suggested air suspension and air con seats as options that raise 3 and Y further.

Introducing noise cancellation would be zero cost pretty much and give great benefit. Actually makes sense to carry across to gen 3 given that they will be used as robotaxis mostly.
Better yet. Noise cancellation might be a negative cost due to removal of sound deadening materials. Then there are the compounding effects of reduced mass. Every gram shedded lowers the requirements on suspension, wheels, brakes, battery and drivetrain, which in turn allows all those parts to be lighter/cheaper too.

Better yet. Noise cancellation might be a negative cost due to removal of sound deadening materials. Then there are the compounding effects of reduced mass. Every gram shedded lowers the requirements on suspension, wheels, brakes, battery and drivetrain, which in turn allows all those parts to be lighter/cheaper too.
I doubt they will remove much if any of the sound deadening materials in the flagship S or X. The ANC is a nice addition, but many ppl don’t like it and it doesn’t work for any of the bump thump type of sounds or frequencies.

Original text:
For the @Tesla elephant in the room:
The remaining HW3 stock will be used exclusively for Model 3 until Highland is officially launched.
All Model Ys from here on out will rapidly transition to HW4, with 100% saturation expected by late July to early August (if not far sooner).
I wonder if the HW3 stock is running out soon and if it means Highland will be there soon.

Reactions: Buckminster
Kind of a stretch, but ok. Whatever changes the M3 gets the MY is getting soon, very soon after. Since both platforms will be sharing more parts than before, lowering part costs.
I'm not convinced on this. Update could be two years away. It is a lot of design work and Tesla have other vehicles to design. Biggest component of Highland is bringing M3 upt o MY std with two gigacastings and structural battery.

Reactions: Optimeer