Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i put it on FSD on aggressive last night (just updated on 2024 model 3) -- was pretty cool on the highway -- its a little scary when it changes lanes, because it turns on the blinkers and you get confused which direction it is, left or right.....

highway driving is where it as for me vs normal daily driving. Its basically like a ride at epcot, its a wild experience.
oh an not sure why but I love the full screen ability when in FSD -I assume when FSD free demo is done, I'll lose this option.
Yes, that’s how I’ve been using FSD the past few years - mostly on Highways. It makes long distance road trips so easy. I don’t like passing huge tracks and I’ve learned to trust the FSD and just let it pass them by. It’s even smart enough to keep a little more to the left when passing big vehicles. I love it.

First time trying FSD. Downloaded Wednesday evening, and had a 200 mile round road trip planned already for Thursday. I let FSD do most all of the driving, to try it out. Thought I would share some observations.

Things it did well:
Busy four way stop sign navigation with traffic all ways. Left turn at a stop sign waiting for oncoming to get through. Changing lanes safely. Reverse auto parking into charging stall. It drives "safe", which is good. In stop/go traffic on the freeway it could see motorcycles coming up and tried to move over a bit to let them by. It stops at stop signs very legal. I'm a bit more of a California stopper and wasn't used to a complete stop, as were people behind I'm sure.

Could do better:
Lots of lane changes to keep up with max speed set. It was set on aggressive though, and reduced to average and chill. Not too much difference, from what I could tell. But I did have it set aggressive 90% of the time. I think I like it less aggressive, and then I press the turn signal and have it change. I would try freeway driving even more. But, definitely like it changing lanes more than not as that is my complaint about AP not able to do. Something I would need to use more to learn what works best for my liking.

Needs help:
Entering freeway, it was two cars per green. The car ahead went, and then we stopped and waited for next green, since it goes green to yellow really fast. I don't think it knows at all how many allowed to go through metered lights for freeway entrance. It changed lanes over solid white line. Not a huge deal because the solid white was only 100 yards or so. It must not have recognized them. While on the freeway, in lane 1, it was turning into an exit only lane (exiting to the left). Navigation didn't seem to know the lane was ending and I had to take over and change lanes (pissing other drivers off because I stayed in the left lane too long to be wanting to merge in now). Sometimes it seemed to wait too long for my liking to get into the correct lane for an upcoming turn, especially when there was lots of traffic. This could be because it couldn't find an opening? I would be in lane 1, and within a mile I needed to exit.

Oddity:
After about 90 or so miles into my trip, the FSD decided it didn't want to keep at my max speed set OR the speed limit. It kept slowly reducing speeds to about 5+ miles under the speed limit (until I took over since I was going way too slow for other traffic). There was very little traffic and straight freeway driving. It was doing max limit through more traffic most of the time before this was happening. I disengaged and reengaged FSD quite a few times hoping to get it going correctly again but it just wouldn't keep up the correct speed. After reaching my destination and then going back home it could again do the max limits. It then did the reducing speed again about another 90 miles into my return drive. Very odd. I couldn't see a reason for it not to be doing the max set limit, or minimally the speed limit.

Overall, I thought it did really well. Does most everything well, but definitely need to keep an eye on things and be ready to help/disengage when things may not be normal roadway conditions.

First time trying FSD. Downloaded Wednesday evening, and had a 200 mile round road trip planned already for Thursday. I let FSD do most all of the driving, to try it out. Thought I would share some observations.

Things it did well:
Busy four way stop sign navigation with traffic all ways. Left turn at a stop sign waiting for oncoming to get through. Changing lanes safely. Reverse auto parking into charging stall. It drives "safe", which is good. In stop/go traffic on the freeway it could see motorcycles coming up and tried to move over a bit to let them by. It stops at stop signs very legal. I'm a bit more of a California stopper and wasn't used to a complete stop, as were people behind I'm sure.

Could do better:
Lots of lane changes to keep up with max speed set. It was set on aggressive though, and reduced to average and chill. Not too much difference, from what I could tell. But I did have it set aggressive 90% of the time. I think I like it less aggressive, and then I press the turn signal and have it change. I would try freeway driving even more. But, definitely like it changing lanes more than not as that is my complaint about AP not able to do. Something I would need to use more to learn what works best for my liking.

Needs help:
Entering freeway, it was two cars per green. The car ahead went, and then we stopped and waited for next green, since it goes green to yellow really fast. I don't think it knows at all how many allowed to go through metered lights for freeway entrance. It changed lanes over solid white line. Not a huge deal because the solid white was only 100 yards or so. It must not have recognized them. While on the freeway, in lane 1, it was turning into an exit only lane (exiting to the left). Navigation didn't seem to know the lane was ending and I had to take over and change lanes (pissing other drivers off because I stayed in the left lane too long to be wanting to merge in now). Sometimes it seemed to wait too long for my liking to get into the correct lane for an upcoming turn, especially when there was lots of traffic. This could be because it couldn't find an opening? I would be in lane 1, and within a mile I needed to exit.

Oddity:
After about 90 or so miles into my trip, the FSD decided it didn't want to keep at my max speed set OR the speed limit. It kept slowly reducing speeds to about 5+ miles under the speed limit (until I took over since I was going way too slow for other traffic). There was very little traffic and straight freeway driving. It was doing max limit through more traffic most of the time before this was happening. I disengaged and reengaged FSD quite a few times hoping to get it going correctly again but it just wouldn't keep up the correct speed. After reaching my destination and then going back home it could again do the max limits. It then did the reducing speed again about another 90 miles into my return drive. Very odd. I couldn't see a reason for it not to be doing the max set limit, or minimally the speed limit.

Overall, I thought it did really well. Does most everything well, but definitely need to keep an eye on things and be ready to help/disengage when things may not be normal roadway conditions.
Thanks for the review, keep them coming everyone! That's really cool for a first time FSD experience! It's funny to think about how many more people will never have experienced the early days of FSD.

I still haven't had a reason to test it out on mine yet, busy with working from home. But it sounds like it's a major improvement over V11 so I hope to notice those improvements myself.