Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Project Palladium" = big refresh to Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Electrek has discovered a new Tesla secret project called “Palladium,” and it involves some important updates to the Model S and Model X.

The project involves building new production lines for updated versions of the Model S and Model X.

According to people familiar with the matter, the new Palladium update is going to involve new battery modules and drive units that are going to serve as the basis of the upcoming “Plaid” version of Model S and Model X.

Another source told Electrek that it involves more than the powertrain, and one employee even referred to a new “Model S and Model X Palladium Body” — meaning that the new version of the vehicles will have a different body.

Tesla secret project Palladium: new Model S and Model X are coming

Sounds like Tesla is secretly working on a major refresh on the Model S/X.

Electrek has discovered a new Tesla secret project called “Palladium,” and it involves some important updates to the Model S and Model X.

The project involves building new production lines for updated versions of the Model S and Model X.

According to people familiar with the matter, the new Palladium update is going to involve new battery modules and drive units that are going to serve as the basis of the upcoming “Plaid” version of Model S and Model X.

Another source told Electrek that it involves more than the powertrain, and one employee even referred to a new “Model S and Model X Palladium Body” — meaning that the new version of the vehicles will have a different body.

Tesla secret project Palladium: new Model S and Model X are coming

Sounds like Tesla is secretly working on a major refresh on the Model S/X.

Perhaps it will include flared wheels arches ( either bolt-on style like the Nurburgring spy shots or flared fenders to accommodate the plaid power train.

my guess is that they will have only 1 body set up for plaid and non plaid cars to simplify production - but I think it would be nice to set the plaid vehicles apart from the “plain jane” / basic s&x - with the wider bodies which could help justify a wider pricing gap between base and performance giving Tesla better margins

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
Perhaps it will include flared wheels arches ( either bolt-on style like the Nurburgring spy shots or flared fenders to accommodate the plaid power train.

my guess is that they will have only 1 body set up for plaid and non plaid cars to simplify production - but I think it would be nice to set the plaid vehicles apart from the “plain jane” / basic s&x - with the wider bodies which could help justify a wider pricing gap between base and performance giving Tesla better margins
If they're building a new assembly line it would be possible to have a different body for the Plaid version. After all, if all they were doing was building one single shell to save money they'd just change over the existing line with the sections that need changed. The fact that they're building new production lines leans towards two bodies being a possibility. Keep in mind that the Model S/X isn't about sacrificing everything for production costs the way the 3/Y is. We'll just to wait and see what's in store but I'm excited for the new future of these cars.

If they're building a new assembly line it would be possible to have a different body for the Plaid version. After all, if all they were doing was building one single shell to save money they'd just change over the existing line with the sections that need changed. The fact that they're building new production lines leans towards two bodies being a possibility. Keep in mind that the Model S/X isn't about sacrificing everything for production costs the way the 3/Y is. We'll just to wait and see what's in store but I'm excited for the new future of these cars.
What if the new line is to increase automation and the old line will be disassembled once the new line is complete?

Whatever the changes, hope they can in some way upgrade my 2017 X P100D and 2018 SP100D. If the 250Kw charging issue was the wiring and not battery, couldn't a shop like Rich Rebuilds change it up? I think there's going to be big business in upgrading old cars as lots of people are going to want to keep their free supercharging and just generally want to repair/upgrade their cars instead of buying new ones (because that's the greener thing to do anyway).

There have been lots of posts from existing S/X customers stating that they want an upgrade path to encourage them to trade in their current cars for something new. While the current S/X are great vehicles, with much improved value, there is still a market for those wanting to reach to another level of prestige.

Believe the new Plaid will provide this opportunity.
Think Better, Faster, improved handling, and more upscale interior and exterior.

S/X used to carry $140,000 price tags and there was a waiting line to get them.

Perhaps this new Plaid is going to be a game changer. Provide a level of power/quiet/luxury that many premium European buyers are looking for.

Since the X came out, Tesla has been focusing on expanding their offering range into the mass market. They have made their cars smaller, less expensive and appealing more to the value consumer. This has greatly increased volume, but also puts pressure on profits.

Believe the Plaid is designed to expand their market upwards. They will provide someting for the prestige buyer. They will be once again not only offer the finest EVs on the market, but indeed perhaps the finest vehicles on the market.

Picture automatic opening doors for the S (from the X) Laser headlights, rear view camers instead of mirrors, great interiors with impressive lighting, best safety ratings in the world, world class electronics suite with great web access and immersive + sound systems.

Something deserving the "Flagship" title.

The battery day timing would be perfect since it’s at the end of Q3.

If the new S/X are $10,000 more expensive than the classic models and not shipping until the end of Q4 it would give most existing buyers a reason to keep their current orders and not cancel and wait.

The S/X are in need of plaid to take on the Taycan, a new interior to feel more premium, Model 3/Y-style electronics to reduce costs, and a heat pump to improve efficiency. Hopefully these new models accomplish that.

Reactions: FarmerDave
The battery day timing would be perfect since it’s at the end of Q3.

If the new S/X are $10,000 more expensive than the classic models and not shipping until the end of Q4 it would give most existing buyers a reason to keep their current orders and not cancel and wait.

The S/X are in need of plaid to take on the Taycan, a new interior to feel more premium, Model 3/Y-style electronics to reduce costs, and a heat pump to improve efficiency. Hopefully these new models accomplish that.
My prediction is that the "new" Model S/X will come with a premium price tag closer to that of the S/X of a couple of years ago which will still come it at less than the Taycan (it's sole competition to this point) and slaughter it in every performance metric we have. Then the "current" S/X will see another slight reduction in price due to less expensive production costs based on new technology and eliminating the battery pack modules. This price gap should form a natural line of delineation that will keep sales of "current" version Model S/X from plummeting to zero as lots of people don't need to be on bleeding edge early adopter but will find lots of value in an even better version of a Model S that costs even less than it once did which was already a bargain for what all you got.

• Helpful
Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Not the controversial Falcon WIng doors, but the power accutation of standard doors to open and close with the push of a button or stepping on the brake.

This is something that Rolls Royce also offers. Gives a wonderful feeling of elegance not to needing to stretch out and grab a handle to pull your doors closed. Also allows driver to courtesy open passenger or rear door to allow entrance of guests.

Plaid might, however offer power center opening (suicide) doors as a differentiator and touch of class.

Not the controversial Falcon WIng doors, but the power accutation of standard doors to open and close with the push of a button or stepping on the brake.

This is something that Rolls Royce also offers. Gives a wonderful feeling of elegance not to needing to stretch out and grab a handle to pull your doors closed. Also allows driver to courtesy open passenger or rear door to allow entrance of guests.

Plaid might, however offer power center opening (suicide) doors as a differentiator and touch of class.

No, I know exactly what you're talking about and the self opening/closing front doors are just as controversial. Having known people who have lived with a Model X they all disabled this "feature". On paper it seems very handy and quite the party trick. In practice it's an exercise in spiked heart rate and frustration. Imagine parallel parking along a busy street (pretty common for most who drive in a city) and approaching your car to get in once traffic is clear. As cars are racing towards your pride and joy it decided to open the driver's side door fully into traffic. Yikes! It also opens all of the time when you're just walking by or you need to get something out of the frunk/trunk. It's a cool idea but I'll just open/close my doors myself as this adds cost and complexity I'll never use and just adds on more potential failure point.

I'm of a similar opinion on the suicide door idea as well. There's a reason they're called "suicide doors" and went the way of the dodo and I'd prefer functional and reliable standard hinged doors of gimmicks that seem pretentious purely for the sake of being pretentious. No thanks.

This should be interesting. I'm in the minority, and I also realize this is not going to happen, but I'd love to see the X updated without the falcon wing doors. Mainly, though, I'm interested in longer range. Unfortunately, I'll probably have upgraded before the announcement and before production begins.

My guess is that the existing Raven X will offer a relatively good value, as others have noted. I can get a brand new Raven LR+ X for ~$80k. These refresh models could easily be closer to $100k+, so a few years of a LR+ X wouldn't be the end of the world.

My prediction is that the "new" Model S/X will come with a premium price tag closer to that of the S/X of a couple of years ago which will still come it at less than the Taycan (it's sole competition to this point) and slaughter it in every performance metric we have. Then the "current" S/X will see another slight reduction in price due to less expensive production costs based on new technology and eliminating the battery pack modules. This price gap should form a natural line of delineation that will keep sales of "current" version Model S/X from plummeting to zero as lots of people don't need to be on bleeding edge early adopter but will find lots of value in an even better version of a Model S that costs even less than it once did which was already a bargain for what all you got.

If Tesla is going to develop a new platform that will no doubt be cheaper to manufacture, why would one keep the old more expensive platform around?