Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protect The Finish On New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Atlanta Ga, and just took delivery of our new 2015 Model S. I would like to do something to protect the beautiful paint job. Does anyone have a recommendation on what the best product is to protect the cars finish. Also who is the best company in Atlanta Ga to do the installation. Finally by doing this do I effect the warranity on the vehicle. Thanks

It all comes down to your expectations, how long you'll keep the car, and your budget.

To do a proper full vehicle wrap, expect to pay $8-13K depending on degree of coverage, scope of work, and skill of installer. IMHO, currently, XPEL Ultimate and Suntek Topcoated are the leading films on the market, and they each have their pros and cons. Foxus more on finding the right installer, then the rest will fall into place.

Nano coatings have become the cutting-edge way to protect your car. Paint, wheels, glass, and even interior surfaces can be coated for durability and beauty.

A good local guy around you is Detailed Design Auto Spa. Jean-Claude is a sponsor here and you should reach out to him.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in this too. I couldn't find any prices on-line. So what are we looking at for a full install? How about just the front facing surfaces?

A typical full front should be around $1800-3500 depending on level of coverage, material, and installer.

Full vehicle installation should range between $8-13K. This only makes sense if you plan on keeping vehicle for long term and have paid cash for it...not lease.

We do our fair share of full PPF vehicle wraps and almost all the clients habe opted for it because they plan on keeping it for a few years, don't want to deal with imperfections in the soft paint such as swirls from washing, and also a peace of mind knowing if shopping cart at Costco hit their door, they'll most likely avoid the hassle and headache of a repaint.

I went with OptiCoat Pro+ and I love it. The water beads right up and having had it done right after delivery, I only had some minor paint correction that was needed. If you are in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area, I know a guy that does a killer job for a reasonable rate.

I went with OptiCoat Pro+ and I love it. The water beads right up and having had it done right after delivery, I only had some minor paint correction that was needed. If you are in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area, I know a guy that does a killer job for a reasonable rate.

Does he also do Xpel? I may have to make the drive from Charlotte in a couple months when I get my S.

I'm fairly old school too, but back when I used to have time to detail my cars I was using Zaino Brothers polish. This was years ago, and Zaino is still around, and I still have a bottle of their Clear Seal which is super easy to work with and lasts a few months. They're probably a bit behind other polymer-based options now but I don't have time to agonize over every little nick or scratch in my cars any more. I'll keep some sort of wax or polish on it, and as long as it looks great from 10 feet away I'm happy.

I used Zaino products on my M5. The multiple passes with multiple products was a pain, but the results were worth all the cussing. If you didn't catch their "less is more" suggestion, it was absolute hell.

I think you're right about modern formulations. I'm still experimenting, but a couple have seemed to give similar results in fewer applications, and with easier removal.

I do still use their "Leather in a Bottle" on all my vehicles with leather. Best leather conditioner I've found. And that smell helps keep the car feeling showroom new, even after 10 years.

Smart, swengl. It was snowing when I picked up. Now I've waited too long already and have a few battle scars from 1800 miles of commuting thus far. Opting for Modesta. If I could Xpel the inside to protect from life with young kids, I would.

Last edited:
Another former Zaino user here. It took a long time to work through the whole process, but in the end the car was buttery smooth and the protection lasted for months. If anyone knows of any other polymer based products that are as good or better, but easier to apply, I'd be all ears! I was thinking of trying Ultima Paint Guard Plus, does anyone have any experience with it?

I don't think so, but it would be worth contacting him directly. He's very easy to work with and is very responsive, as well.
Does he also do Xpel? I may have to make the drive from Charlotte in a couple months when I get my S.

- - - Updated - - -

It's never too late to protect the paint, you would just have to pay extra for the paint correction that would be needed. ;) I haven't let my kids ride in mine, yet. It will happen eventually, but I'm putting it off as long as possible, lol.
Smart, swengl. It was snowing when I picked up. Now I've waited too long already and have a few battle scars from 1800 miles of commuting thus far. Opting for Modesta. If I could Xpel the inside to protect from life with young kids, I would.

I am in Metro NYC area, and just had Opticoat Pro applied by Rich Grassa of [email protected] He travels in the area from Milford CT with an assistant. A few hours in the driveway, with correction, polish and application. The photos dont do it justice. Less than $850.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG

It all comes down to your expectations, how long you'll keep the car, and your budget.

To do a proper full vehicle wrap, expect to pay $8-13K depending on degree of coverage, scope of work, and skill of installer. IMHO, currently, XPEL Ultimate and Suntek Topcoated are the leading films on the market, and they each have their pros and cons. Foxus more on finding the right installer, then the rest will fall into place.

Nano coatings have become the cutting-edge way to protect your car. Paint, wheels, glass, and even interior surfaces can be coated for durability and beauty.

A good local guy around you is Detailed Design Auto Spa. Jean-Claude is a sponsor here and you should reach out to him.

- - - Updated - - -

A typical full front should be around $1800-3500 depending on level of coverage, material, and installer.

Full vehicle installation should range between $8-13K. This only makes sense if you plan on keeping vehicle for long term and have paid cash for it...not lease.

We do our fair share of full PPF vehicle wraps and almost all the clients habe opted for it because they plan on keeping it for a few years, don't want to deal with imperfections in the soft paint such as swirls from washing, and also a peace of mind knowing if shopping cart at Costco hit their door, they'll most likely avoid the hassle and headache of a repaint.

Thanks for the mention Moe. Look forward to seeing you in a couple days in San Antonio. ;)

Van,
Feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to discuss protection options for your TMS.

-JC

Who is the guy in Raleigh and how long did it take. I'm having Xpel put on the front of the car tommorrow, but have thought about doing the back in Opticoat.

I had both my S and my wife's Cayenne fully wrapped for what some people are paying to wrap just their S.

The trick? I went to a Xpel application training facility. The S came out perfect, but we noticed something trapped under the film on the Cayenne, something picked up after the clay bar. They were very appologetic and re-did that piece.

The travelling Xpel installer used by the Porche dealership wanted 50% more than I paid to wrap two vehicles for the Cayenne alone.