Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Buying Tesla from 3rd party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would I show you or anyone else I don’t know private paperwork?!?! To prove something I already know. That is not happening. The point of this post is to alert, the non-Tesla cult, customers thinking of buying from 3rd party dealers to be aware of ownership transfer issues.
The best point you could share in this thread is the name of the crap scam dealer in Florida you used so All can avoid it! They are your issue yet you choose to ignore it.

The DMV must have a dealer section. Call them next week for guidance. Until then, maybe tell the dealer you will, if you don't get any answers. No dealer likes the thought of being investigated.
Great idea, I’ve already emailed the FM that I will be visiting my local DMV in person next week. I’m wondering if that dealer hack is complicating matters..they did inform me they were impacted by it but still conducting business transactions manually whatever the hell that means.

And if they want to keep dragging this on, I will keep getting ‘free’ supercharging off of someone. This ownership transfer process is pure idiocy.

And right there MAY be the issue! The car did not Come with free supercharger option. So the bill is going to that cars Vin and therefore not clear as nobody is paying the Bill! Hence you are Adding to the lien on the title release. lol. Amazed that you do not see fault with the dealer you Paid and for some reason fear going back to make them responsible to complete the sale. Tesla does many things wrong but this isn’t one of them.
Looking at this thread, that may actually have been part of the issue. There is no free supercharging with the 2022. So by using supercharging before the ownership transferred, you may have been adding a balance to the previous account. The dealership might have done the same thing. So even with the payoff of the loan, there may be a remaining balance on the Tesla account itself.

The other possibility is the difference may be from early payoff vs scheduled payoff. This may sometimes result in a discrepancy in the amount owed.

Reactions: Yelobird
Update from FM @ Ford dealer below so hopefully I’m nearing the end of this.

“Someone from Tesla just called me now after all the emails I’ve sent them. They said that they did receive everything from us, but it looks like their system closed out the account before the payment was processed. They said they must investigate all the documents and correct it internally to release the lien. They got my info and said will email me once their payoff team has reviewed the account. Could be today or couple days.”