Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Empty your flash drive..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for your situation :(

I'm going to use a HDD for sentry and thumbstick for driving. Is it possible to have both plugged in the port and choose which to use when switching between sentry and dashcam? I'm taking delivery of my Model 3 in two weeks so this is probably something I should know.

Sorry for your situation :(

I'm going to use a HDD for sentry and thumbstick for driving. Is it possible to have both plugged in the port and choose which to use when switching between sentry and dashcam? I'm taking delivery of my Model 3 in two weeks so this is probably something I should know.

No, Sentry and Dashcam use the same directory that must be named "TeslaCam," so you could only have one drive plugged in for that purpose.

I periodically check my 128GB microSD card (I have two of them each in their own card reader to make swapping out fast) and just Friday pulled mine to check. It was down to under 32GB so swapped it out so I didn't end up forgetting about it.

Sorry about your accident OP. Since it just happened contact Tesla to see if they still have any images from when the truck's debris hit your car. Pretty sure I read someone here say that they did that and was given some images. Wish I could be of more help in who exactly to contact, etc. or the thread I saw this on. But do asap as I think they only have the info temporarily for maybe a few days.

I periodically check my 128GB microSD card (I have two of them each in their own card reader to make swapping out fast) and just Friday pulled mine to check. It was down to under 32GB so swapped it out so I didn't end up forgetting about it.

Sorry about your accident OP. Since it just happened contact Tesla to see if they still have any images from when the truck's debris hit your car. Pretty sure I read someone here say that they did that and was given some images. Wish I could be of more help in who exactly to contact, etc. or the thread I saw this on. But do asap as I think they only have the info temporarily for maybe a few days.

Which MicroSD reader are you using? I was considering this one https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Additional-Standard-Connector-Included/dp/B06XY3B3DQ

I wish it would auto delete sentry mode videos after a period of time (5-7 days). Really you only need them if someone damages your vehicle, which you would most likely notice fairly quickly. My fairly large MicroSD card quickly gets filled up with videos of people walking by my car or opening a car door parked next to mine and it's a bit of pain having to remove the drive and delete the files on a computer.

With the new update 28.3 or so, it will tell you if the card is full, I just upgraded my 64gb to 256gb as my card was getting full after a few days, this one is a faster read and write so the videos load up cleaner and faster on the Laptop. Note that Tesla still uses USB 2.0 and most hardware today is USB 3.1, so most memory cards still work.

Fred

My 128GB Flash drive filled up a few days ago and I meant to empty it.

Then today a truck in front of me on the 280 loses part of it's load in front of me and damages my M3.

Darn, it's full of sentry events of nothing in particular, but missed the only time I could have used it :-(
Tesla requires FAT32 format, which I believe supports a max of 32GB, so you have a lot of unused and unusable space on your drive.

I drive my car a lot (~35000 miles/yr) and I knew that one USB drive would not be enough for a road trip. So I bought 4, which turned out to be insufficient for a 3000 mile trip. I bought 2 more. Still not enough. I currently carry 8 in the car.

That was also during a period where a bug would sometimes make a drive corrupt and unusable. I had to swap out drives if one became unreadable.

When driving, make sure that you see the red dot on the camera icon and not the little black 'x'.

Tesla requires FAT32 format, which I believe supports a max of 32GB, so you have a lot of unused and unusable space on your drive.

I drive my car a lot (~35000 miles/yr) and I knew that one USB drive would not be enough for a road trip. So I bought 4, which turned out to be insufficient for a 3000 mile trip. I bought 2 more. Still not enough. I currently carry 8 in the car.

That was also during a period where a bug would sometimes make a drive corrupt and unusable. I had to swap out drives if one became unreadable.

When driving, make sure that you see the red dot on the camera icon and not the little black 'x'.

I am not sure if this will make you happy or sad... FAT32 supports up to 2TB.

This link has some info on how to format drives over 32Gb in Windows. Method 2 is the easiest.

Windows limits formatting FAT32 to 32GB. You can use a third party tool or a Mac to format higher.

You can delete the contents of the drive easily while still in the car if you've got an Android app and the (free) Android app I wrote for this. Just plug the drive in with an OTG adapter (most higher-end phones come with one nowadays), pick the drive in the app, go to the list of events, and hit the "delete all" button and you're done.

The app is of course also useful if you want to check out footage of vandalism or an accident while still on the scene.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snailboat.teslacamreviewer

• Love
Reactions: UncaNed
I wish it would auto delete sentry mode videos after a period of time (5-7 days). Really you only need them if someone damages your vehicle, which you would most likely notice fairly quickly. My fairly large MicroSD card quickly gets filled up with videos of people walking by my car or opening a car door parked next to mine and it's a bit of pain having to remove the drive and delete the files on a computer.

I’m in and out if my car every day multiples times a day sometimes. No biggie when removing my phone from the charger to flip up the charger tray and pull the usb device and insert a duplicate. I’m on my laptop every day too and have to wonder how hard it is to reformat a drive and take back with you next time in your car. My microSD card reader has a lanyard attached and can easily be clipped onto my house keys so it comes out with me to the car when I leave. Just don’t get the pain aspect I guess.

Setting yourself up for an easy maintenance transition (ie duplicate usb drive in car) and being mindful of doing it timely will become second nature.

Reactions: UncaNed
Tesla requires FAT32 format, which I believe supports a max of 32GB, so you have a lot of unused and unusable space on your drive....

The FAT32 limitation seems to only be a problem if using Window’s utility to format from what I’ve seen on here (iOS user here). A third party Windows utility is the way around that. For anyone else, no problem using FAT32 to format a larger drive. Like many here I’m using a 128GB flash device, not partitioned by the way, and no problems using the capacity of the device. If you read more of the threads here you’ll see pretty much others doing the same thing. Some will partition their drives but to use part of it for music (Tesla recommends to not partition the drive for other uses btw). I maintain two 128GB microSD cards in a reader for convenience sake and it’s worked out well for me.