Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PTC Heater & FJB extraction from dual motor car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its service mode, here is info on how to enable it

Howards Model S - Parts & Diags (google.com)
Wow Howard, great info.

Hey, is it possible for a failing HV battery to corrupt/fry the PTC heater?

I ask because I was getting a “car may not restart“ alert on my Tesla model S 100D and when I took it into the SC, they first thought it was the HV battery (under warranty) but then they decided it was the PTC heater for the battery (not under warranty), and replaced it.

Unfortunately, as soon as I got it home, I got the dreaded “car may not restart“ alert again. So, I took it back to the SC. They got deeper into it with the engineers and decided that it was the HV battery failing. They towed the car to another SC to replace the HV battery since they didn’t have the space available in that SC to safely replace it. Apparently you need space in case there’s a fire caused by the HP battery.

This led me to believe that it was never the PTC heater in the first place, and if the PTC heater was damaged, it could’ve been damaged by the failing HV battery. Is that possible?

If so, it would mean that Tesla should credit me back what they charged me for replacing the PTC heater.

What do you think?

Wow Howard, great info.

Hey, is it possible for a failing HV battery to corrupt/fry the PTC heater?

I ask because I was getting a “car may not restart“ alert on my Tesla model S 100D and when I took it into the SC, they first thought it was the HV battery (under warranty) but then they decided it was the PTC heater for the battery (not under warranty), and replaced it.

Unfortunately, as soon as I got it home, I got the dreaded “car may not restart“ alert again. So, I took it back to the SC. They got deeper into it with the engineers and decided that it was the HV battery failing. They towed the car to another SC to replace the HV battery since they didn’t have the space available in that SC to safely replace it. Apparently you need space in case there’s a fire caused by the HP battery.

This led me to believe that it was never the PTC heater in the first place, and if the PTC heater was damaged, it could’ve been damaged by the failing HV battery. Is that possible?

If so, it would mean that Tesla should credit me back what they charged me for replacing the PTC heater.

What do you think?

Just my guess but I think its 2 different problems.

HV battery failure has its own multiple failure modes (Lithium Ion failure from age/mileage/usage, moisture intrusion, electronics connections)

I'm guessing the high failure rate of all HV accessories in the front end of the MS (including PTC heater) is water intrusion related. Read here for the links to my investigations on front end water runoff

Left to Mexico for a few months, so the Tesla is parked until summer. And I have plenty of time before I have to drive in the cold again.

Too hard and not enough time to get tools that will fit.

I look forward to seeing what tools people used on this second gen FJB.

I condemn the engineer who created this design of putting a fuse under a lid facing the firewall to a life of pain and suffering.
Did you ever figure out how to get the bottom bolts off the FCB? I've got mine torn down, but can't figure out a way to get to them!

Did you ever figure out how to get the bottom bolts off the FCB? I've got mine torn down, but can't figure out a way to get to them!
IMG-1429.jpgIMG-1430.jpg