Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charge interrupted

What would you do?

• Note

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Let it go

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Teach a lesson

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last night I checked my Tesla app to see how much longer I needed to get a full charge so I could eventually move my car and make room for someone else to use at my apt complex. I saw an alert an hour prior of charge port open and charge interrupted. I drove to the port to check in it and found a fiat e500 had parked next to me and took the power cord out and plugged into his car. Mind you this is now 12:40am and I'm completely annoyed that people like this exist.

I called security to report this and left an etiquette note on his window It was about 1:30 when I decided to leave and security had left.

This morning 7am I went back thinking maybe something was done to my car or to move my car before anything was done, not knowing what actions this person was capable of if he's rude enough to just pull a port from a stranger. I found a note on my windshield saying he wasn't trying to be rude but his fiat was at 1% and had come back at 1am to plug it back in to my Tesla. (Yeah right!)

I was there till 1:30am and no one approached me while I was sitting in my car. If you weren't trying to be rude maybe you should have wrote a note explaining and providing a time of return in case I did arrive. I felt the note was only provided because he was likely alerted on his app of the interruption. In conclusion my anger has subsided but it took a lot for me to not act on my anger and irritation.

IMG_2966.JPG IMG_2966.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 104
It is too bad that the J1772 adapter does not lock the connector. As @kort677 mentioned, a lock is a great deterrent. Many J1772 connectors have a small hole under the release button. a luggage lock fits in there nicely. They are not super secure but will stop the casual attempt to unplug you. I used one on my Leaf to prevent my portable EVSE from being stolen.

Two other ideas:
  1. A dash card that had your contact info, might have meant that he contacted you instead of just unplugging you (maybe).
  2. Checking in on PlugShare and indicating the time that you plan to unplug and move your car might have allowed mister 1% and panicking to calm down and wait.

Certainly the lock helps make either of the other two ideas more valuable since he can not simply unplug you, he might have started looking for more information. PlugShare should have a dashcard that says something like:
I'm checked in on PlugShare. To know when I'll be done look for my Check-in at this location!​

I'll suggest that to Ashley (@ashleyinoregon).

Didn't vote, because I'm not sure any of the options reflect my choice.

Similar happened to me, another Tesla disconnected my car at a hotel. I happened to see the notification immediately, and went down to the garage to see the other party just walking away.

I suggested that was uncool to do. She seemed flustered and said something I didn't quite catch. I went ahead and plugged my car back in.

It turns out the husband was a member here, and he said his wife was unaware if my car was actually charging or not (the charger was a ClipperCreek J1772).

Oh look, they also have HOV tags and no license plate... you cannot get HOV tags without the license plate which means the person has that and neglected to install.

People who do that give me a negative vibe since I can't think of a scenario where that'd be acceptable. Seems like they're trying to take advantage of something.... toll roads? I'm not sure.

(I've seen Teslas do it, too.)

Oh look, they also have HOV tags and no license plate... you cannot get HOV tags without the license plate which means the person has that and neglected to install.

People who do that give me a negative vibe since I can't think of a scenario where that'd be acceptable. Seems like they're trying to take advantage of something.... toll roads? I'm not sure.

(I've seen Teslas do it, too.)

He's had the car for a while I'm sure, since the window sticker text has faded substantially already. It was hard to make out the information on it.

Didn't vote, because I'm not sure any of the options reflect my choice.

Similar happened to me, another Tesla disconnected my car at a hotel. I happened to see the notification immediately, and went down to the garage to see the other party just walking away.

I suggested that was uncool to do. She seemed flustered and said something I didn't quite catch. I went ahead and plugged my car back in.

It turns out the husband was a member here, and he said his wife was unaware if my car was actually charging or not (the charger was a ClipperCreek J1772).

Without an acceptable apology from the other party , i would have no choice but to continue being completely irritated.

where the wire runs under the plastic, could it be lifted with enough man power to pull the wire loose? images show the wires exposed on the side, another shows at a position of standard tire stop device. how do you use yours?

It cannot be removed! Select the hole appropriate to hold the cord firmly.

PM me and I'll send you one if you will write a review for the TMC

Last edited:
Oh, interesting. How'd you know what it was to fill that portion out on the application? Or was it a vanity plate? Not to derail the thread too much, I'm curious now :)

I submitted app with the plate number blank and everything else completed. My tesla rep told me that Tesla CA is connected online with CA DMV and within a few days of delivery, the DMV isystem is updated with VIN and a plate number becomes assigned even though we dont get it for 2-3 months. He directed me to wait 5 days and submit. The HOV app arrives, they key in VIN from app and boom, plate number is displayed, check is cashed and HOV sticker process continues. A vanity plate should work too as long as it was assigned to your VIN before the app arrives.