Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charge interrupted

What would you do?

• Note

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Let it go

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Teach a lesson

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at reviews on ChargePoint and you will often see "Tesla'd" comments.

Many of the plug in hybrid or short range ev's just assume Tesla's have a big enough battery range and their own charging network so shame on them (us) for using their chargers.

Really need to see a major increase in level 1 chargers as a 20 amp plug could be meaningful for many destinations like offices, apartments or hotels.

I bought this: CapturePro Charging Lock for Tesla Model S from EVannex, which solves the problem. It blocks the unlock button from moving.

I think it is unbelievably rude to unplug a car that is charging. But there is a multitude of selfish and inconsiderate people out there. I voted to let it go because it won't do me any good to take action. But it still pisses me off. Especially with such a piss ant car!!! I would leave a note though.

Just today (on a little bit different note), somebody parked in my boss' reserved spot that is clearly marked. Happens way too often. My boss is a fantastic woman who would never confront somebody on this. But it is a huge drag for her to find parking. Well, I saw it and it just pissed me off. I figured out who it was and went to her office and asked her to move her car. Very nicely, I must say. Her response that she needed a place to park because her contractor had taken her spot. She was F-ing clueless! I suggested to her that it might be best to ask her contractor to move out of her spot. We are in the same building with assigned spots in a very small lot. It simply amazes me at how unconcious and entitled people feel! WAKE UP PEOPLE!

I was brought up to be polite and considerate of others at all times. I think that is a lost art and I find that hard to reconcile. I find that the older I get the more important this is to me.

I've been unplugged a number of times from ChargePoint stations, one time not 5 minutes after I had left. Of course I get a notification that charging has been interrupted, but it often takes more than 5 minutes to get back to the car. Each time, a Leaf parked next to me has snagged the charger that I was using. Perhaps they felt their Leaf was more entitled to the use of a limited resource?

However, without a dashcam, I have no way of knowing for sure that the Leaf was the one who unplugged me. A co-worker had an experience getting a nasty note left on his car, accusing him of unplugging another vehicle. In fact, when he arrived, the charger was in its holster and the spot in front of it was vacant (and knowing him, I have no reason to doubt his word on this.) So in addition to people unplugging others so they can plug themselves in, there may be people who unplug just to mess with you.

The EVannex lock looks like a fairly decent solution to this problem, in conjunction with a note that says something nice, like "I expect to be done by <time>, call or text <number> if you need to reach me before then." Of course, if someone is having charger rage and perceives your Tesla is blocking their ability to charge, giving out your phone number might not be a smart move either.

Reactions: glusc2002
image.jpg
I'm leaning toward the capture pro because as patient and understand as I am, i just can't easily let it go that someone could be that inconsiderate and rude, and more so if it was just to mess with me. I was there for nearly an hour just pissed while waiting for security to report this and then frustrated that I would get retaliation when the owner finds that I plugged it back into my car. I was debating on moving my car after the note too but my judgement was why should I move, I'm not in the wrong. I took pics of the fiat just in case I came back to my car with damage on it.

Attached is the note..sorry but if you weren't trying not to be rude you should have left a note in the first place. And guess what, you were rude because I had to get up at 12am to drive to my car in cold weather, stay up for an additional hour and go through the hassle of reporting the issue. So I guess you just don't know how not to be rude.

This type of stuff is why I stopped using public chargers with my Volt. Drove me nuts to find my car unplugged.

So I bought the charger lock referenced above for my S.

I do check in to plugshare so people know how long I will be there

I haven't had anyone unplug my Volt yet, but I do find it a little ridiculous that Chevy didn't include a charge lock like my Leaf had. I believe that if someone unplugs the Volt it only sets off the car alarm, which is idiotic and annoying and doesn't really help if the guy doesn't give a crap. Of course, my mind also boggles that Chevy only gave us a 3 kWh charger instead of the 6 or so I had on my Leaf. Sure, there's a gas backup, but I'd still prefer to have the fastest charging available. It's quite annoying to walk out of lunch and see the charge level has barely moved at all while topping off at a free location.

View attachment 206582
Attached is the note..sorry but if you weren't trying not to be rude you should have left a note in the first place. And guess what, you were rude because I had to get up at 12am to drive to my car in cold weather, stay up for an additional hour and go through the hassle of reporting the issue. So I guess you just don't know how not to be rude.
Drive to your car? This new detail makes it seem like you're leaving details out of this.

Went to Kohl's today and got iced! Cold day, charger is in a prime spot and to top it off , found out it was an employee car. Was she working for 6 hours and finished her shift? IDK. But aggravating to say the least. I did not HAVE to plug in, I was at 40% but..........

Went to Kohl's today and got iced! Cold day, charger is in a prime spot and to top it off , found out it was an employee car. Was she working for 6 hours and finished her shift? IDK. But aggravating to say the least. I did not HAVE to plug in, I was at 40% but..........
did you do anything like complain to the manager of the store about the employee blocking the spot?
I won't even speculate about your wanting to park there when you really didn't need a charge

Oh look, they also have HOV tags and no license plate... you cannot get HOV tags without the license plate which means the person has that and neglected to install.

People who do that give me a negative vibe since I can't think of a scenario where that'd be acceptable. Seems like they're trying to take advantage of something.... toll roads? I'm not sure.

(I've seen Teslas do it, too.)

The dealer can request the tags before the plates. My Rav4EV came with stickers from the outset.

I own a leaf and have never unplugged anyone but I have been ICE'd out three times and each time I was sorta counting on that juice. A couple times Teslas have been parked in Chargepoint spots without being plugged in -- that's pretty aggravating too. I think leaving a note is acceptable but often its better to just shrug it off. I think all EV owners should just practice the Golden Rule and we'll be OK. A LEAF only takes 3 hours to get almost all its battery on 6.6kwh. Even 1 hour of juice might be enough and then they should move along.

Of course, my mind also boggles that Chevy only gave us a 3 kWh charger instead of the 6 or so I had on my Leaf. Sure, there's a gas backup, but I'd still prefer to have the fastest charging available. It's quite annoying to walk out of lunch and see the charge level has barely moved at all while topping off at a free location.
Why is your mind boggled by this? GM wants to be able to say it's making EVs and may need the zero emissions to offset some of its SUVs, but it's not in their interest for people to actually enjoy the EV experience.

...I ... found a fiat e500 had parked next to me and took the power cord out and plugged into his car.... I'm completely annoyed that people like this exist.

I feel your pain. WHY do they exist? God tell me why! I demand answers for the unjust suffering you inflict on me oh universe.

I called security to report this and left an etiquette note on his window

You showed him!

This morning 7am I went back thinking maybe something was done to my car ...not knowing what actions this person was capable of if he's rude enough to just pull a port from a stranger.

You can't be too careful. I agree - drivers of small Fiat hatchbacks are very scary people.

...found a note on my windshield saying he wasn't trying to be rude but his fiat was at 1% and had come back at 1am to plug it back in to my Tesla. (Yeah right!)

He won't fool YOU. You see him for the sociopathic societal parasite he truly is.

... In conclusion my anger has subsided but it took a lot for me to not act on my anger and irritation.

I am so proud of you. You held it together man. You didn't lash out. Sometimes it's not worth it. IT'S NOT WORTH IT MAN! THAT FIAT DRIVING HUMAN PEST ISN'T WORTH IT.

The entire concept of public charging needs to be addressed.

A single J1772 can allow 4 EV's a night to commute to work and back on electricity for the average commuter.
Or it can be a parking stall for 1 EV.
They can no longer be treated as parking stalls when they are public.

I was at a public 16a x 208vac dual outlet in Goleta. We had two J1772 cars that needed juice.
Both slots were occupied by EV's that really should not bother with 3 mph charging. This was 4 pm.
We came back at 6 am and both cars were still there with dew on their windshields.

OK, they were there first, and even though they would take a full 24hr day to charge, so what?

Neither one was plugged in. So I doubt they even had a J1772 adapter with them. This was near a hotel that lacked enough parking, so they were using the stalls for overflow parking.

There was a 24kW DCFC CCS at the hotel. One Model X and one Lamborghini were using the stalls.

Get enough charge, then move your car. Most people do it. But some don't care.