Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pucks. Is there a "Buy This One" consensus or are they all about the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lovely commentary style. FWIW, so was V-8 juice. Neither is the solution here. Well, maybe the V-8 juice.

1675805267809.png

Lot of reviews claim they smelled. Comments?
If you put it under your nose, yeah. Rubber smell. Like a tire shop filled with new tires. Not bad and it dissipates. Plus, they have a case so don't stink up the car. I keep them in the frunk. I have a two post Rotary rack. That's one heavy car. The pucks deform a bit under the pressure but seem quite durable.

Gracias! or maybe Danke'

I said screw it and order some aluminum ones from Amazon. Heck, $20 bucks. If they fit great, no smell, no bending (well..) Otherwise I guess I send them back!

FWIW, I'm hoping to set the frunk up as a cooler/food transport area. Seems like my wife is always dragging some prepared dish or other around, and it seems like an area I can limit movement in. Guess we'll see. I'm sorta thinking about Mike Tysons comments on fight plans as I type this.

So, I’ve been wondering… what’s the point of the pucks with nubs?

The nub, I hope its only use is aligning the puck and that the rest of it is supporting the actual weight.

And if that’s the case.. there’s no point in the puck, just need to make sure whatever lift/jack is being used has a rubber surface and is wide enough.

In the worse case, the nub is just a visual clue for folks that don’t know where to put a jack.

If the nub is supporting the weight, then that just seems like a bad idea focusing all the weight on it.

It makes sense when the car is in the factory, so the body doesn’t slide off whatever is carrying it down the line, ICE/lighter weight cars also have similar body holes, just not at the same jacking points.

Reactions: jcanoe
So, I’ve been wondering… what’s the point of the pucks with nubs?

The nub, I hope its only use is aligning the puck and that the rest of it is supporting the actual weight.

And if that’s the case.. there’s no point in the puck, just need to make sure whatever lift/jack is being used has a rubber surface and is wide enough.

In the worse case, the nub is just a visual clue for folks that don’t know where to put a jack.

If the nub is supporting the weight, then that just seems like a bad idea focusing all the weight on it.

It makes sense when the car is in the factory, so the body doesn’t slide off whatever is carrying it down the line, ICE/lighter weight cars also have similar body holes, just not at the same jacking points.
Tesla Service and Tesla Ranger (Mobile) Service do not use the pucks. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual does not say to use pucks. If the pucks are any use at all it to use a single puck with a low profile floor jack that has a metal cup at the end of the lift arm. The puck helps you to locate the correct lift point. The cup on the floor jack lift arm captures the puck.

The puck should not be used with a scissor jack. Floor lifts have built-in pads at the end of each of the four lift arms so the pucks are not needed. It would be up to the repair shop to decide whether pucks are used.

The better constructed pucks such as those sold by Reverse Logic are made of aluminum (not rubber) and have a gasket or magnet to hold the puck in position so it does not fall out.

Although frequently sold in sets of four pucks a single well made aluminum puck is all you need to use a low profile floor jack. Pucks are the most over hyped Tesla accessory.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: brkaus
1) I don't even own one yet, so take what I say with some salt

2) Pucks are used for floor jack and related with raised/centering flanges along the perimeter. The puck body is used to clear that flanges and ensure the jack only lifts on the puck body

3) The stud is for retention and centering. It is not the lift point.

AFAIK, YMMV, and etc..

I just bought 4 cheap hockey pucks and screwed some rubber bumpers into them. I think it the entire setup cost me less than $10
Hand over head Emoji :)
10 dollar pucks, find fitting rubber bumpers and screw them in 30min-1hour. Unless you make 10 bucs an hour, which if you have a tesla you dont...then you would have come out ahead just ordering a set from Amazon which also includes a case :) and fit properly .. Just messing with you, I know its a labor of love. I get myself into that all the time.