Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a 2014 Telsa from a private seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's like saying "I am going to the store for some groceries. Is there anything I should look out for?"
On a more serious, and helpful note.....
I have a 2014 S85. It has been a great car. But they are all different and can have different problems and concerns.
I recommend that you take the car to a Tesla Service Center and pay them to give the car a complete going over and pull the service records. I have no idea what that might cost but it may be worth it. They can also verify if there is any remaining warranty on the car, or an extended service plan, etc.

Hi there,

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2014 Telsa 85 from a private seller, is there anything I should be look out for?
Thanks in advance!

David

Make sure you do a full Pre-Purchase inspection for accident damage (perhaps at a Tesla bodyshop or with a professional car appraiser who knows what to look for) regardless of what the CarFax may say and then pay a Tesla Service Center to do a Pre-Purchase inspection as well. If you can get the car's service history all the better.

Then verify with Tesla that the car qualifies for the ESA (warranty) and buy the car with the ESA for peace of mind. The ESA might be contingent on the fact that the previous owner maintained the car properly so this is why you need to verify with Tesla that they will honor the ESA on the car before you buy it.

I'd be careful as whatever that may go wrong will be very expensive to fix. We bought the ESA for our Tesla and I can't imagine owning this car out of warranty. The SC has been a joy to work with but that's because I have not had to pay for anything!

Reactions: Scott_K
That's like saying "I am going to the store for some groceries. Is there anything I should look out for?"
On a more serious, and helpful note.....
I have a 2014 S85. It has been a great car. But they are all different and can have different problems and concerns.
I recommend that you take the car to a Tesla Service Center and pay them to give the car a complete going over and pull the service records. I have no idea what that might cost but it may be worth it. They can also verify if there is any remaining warranty on the car, or an extended service plan, etc.
Thanks for the reply, and I'm sorry I was very vague, 'cause I don't really know to keep an eye on for for an electric car, checking it out at the Tesla service center is a great idea! And for your 2014 S85, the battery is still holding up strong? Thanks

Davidf

Hi there,

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2014 Telsa 85 from a private seller, is there anything I should be look out for?
Thanks in advance!

David

If it is a RWD model, or a P85D, check the revision letter of the drive unit. Early versions of the larger RWD motor were prone to gear and bearing failures. If it is an early one, make sure Tesla replaces it before the 8 year warranty is up.

I also would have the 12 V battery checked, and ask if the 12 V charging system is the original, or "gen 2" design. Gen 2 is a lot easier on the 12 V battery.

Also check to see if the car as "next gen" seating option. They are reportedly made by Recardo, and more comfortable than the standard seats. Other things to look for are "premium lighting," tech package, and of course Autopilot. Production with Autopilot started in Fall 2014.

GSP

We got almost 4 years on our S85 12v battery in Florida, I was super surprised.
I would only buy a used Tesla from an owner or from Tesla, I like to know how they took care of it, car dealers really have little to no knowledge of charging the Tesla, basically I do not trust them.