Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pushing charge cable button no longer opens charge port door.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title says, the button on my cable will not auto open the charge port. I can open the port by pushing on it (with doors unlocked) or on the touchcreen or even with my phone. Also I know the button itself works because it will release the cable when I push it and can still do the 10 pushes trick to rainbow the charge light. It would seem that it's a fault with whatever receiver in the car detects the button push on the cable. Anyone have an idea? I've hit the reset button on the cable but that's about it.

I've got suggestions of how to narrow down the variables a little. I would say at this point it could still be either the receiver in the car or the transmitter in the cable. Any button presses while it is plugged into the port are I think using interrupts on the signalling pin that it is physically connected to, rather than a wireless signal.

So I would say look up a place that has destination chargers, which are Tesla wall connectors that have that signalling button, or even a Tesla Supercharger. Then you could test if the receiver in the car works while you're not using your cable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Achilles
Same problem at home, but works fine at Superchargers. The thing is, if I fuss around with it a bit, move the wand around and such it may eventually open the port. Usually I just tap the door now. I suspect a "weak" transmitter in my HPWC.

The antenna for the charge port unlock signal is in the back window. It looks like one of the window heater lines. On my early S, they showed me which one, which was on the left near the top of the window. I'm wondering how the button works if you hold it up near the window to unlock the port.

I have two charging cables, the one that came with the car is at my home, and I bought another for my business so I did not have to keep pulling the charger out of my truck. The one at work opens it almost every time. The one at home only opens it 1 out of 4 times. I usually just push on the charger door to then open it when it fails. The superchargers always open it. On the cable unit, near the wall plug, there is a reset button. Try pushing and holding that for a minute or so, then try it again. I find this fixes it for a little while.

Funny aside, once I was at a really overcrowded supercharger where I had to wait more than an hour to charge. Every time someone pushed the button on the charger that was about 30 feet away from my car, the charger door would open. I guess some of these transmitters are much stronger than others.

Funny aside, once I was at a really overcrowded supercharger where I had to wait more than an hour to charge. Every time someone pushed the button on the charger that was about 30 feet away from my car, the charger door would open. I guess some of these transmitters are much stronger than others.
I haven't had that much, since I live and travel in flyover country that has mostly empty Superchargers, but one time I had finished charging, closed the port and hung up the cable, and then as I sat back in my car about to take off, the guy several spots away pushed the button and my port opened up, so I had to get back out and close it again.

Is the car unlocked when you press the button? It seems in some relatively recent update the car now needs to be unlocked to open the charge port with the charge handle button. If I recall it used to open regardless of the locked/unlocked state of the car.

I can confirm that, as long as the car was awake, the charge port used to open with a button press even if the vehicle was locked.