Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a deposit on a P3D-, now they're unable to give me one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly, there were zero white on black P3D- cars west of the Mississippi River when I ordered end of July. We had ours delivered from Nashville. Thankfully I was able to get the delivery fee waived because we just bought another X.

If they were “pumping these out,” one would assume a P3D- with the basic configuration would be available in the worlds largest Tesla market (California) proximate to the factory where they are being “pumped out.“

Unless that was a temporary constraint, but reading these comments, it still seems to be a supply-constrained configuration
Interestingly, there's no P3D+ in inventory on the west coast because pearl white is in such high demand (being the standard color now).

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read posts on here of people ordering a certain spec’d car only to change it for whatever reason on their own—paint color, tires, interior, model, etc. Really hard to know for sure a buyer won’t change his mind and want something else and they are basing production based on orders and those being filled timely.

It’s not like Tesla is making a ton of these cars in each config and storing them in some warehouse or filling up dealership lots waiting to be sold. They are in limited number based on demand, unlike the traditional manufactures who the press has reported are seeing slow sales and still have 2018 models on their lots. With Tesla sales doing well, if you can’t take delivery of a car when it's ready, it will get sold. Typically you’d have to wait for the next batch to come out of the factory in that config if you changed up or weren’t ready for delivery for whatever reason—business or personal. Something about a bird in hand... Maybe when OP asked about extending delivery time the decision to phase out P3D- hadn’t been made or communicated to the stores’ staff so it was assumed more would be coming out of the factory.

No doubt it’s disappointing to end up not getting the config you wanted. I guess at the moment he could still get it but sure the east coast ones will be sold quickly if not gone already. Glad to hear some of you have been having success.
When I put a deposit down and asked to postpone the delivery the salesperson knew the P3D- were in limited quantity. I'm guessing it's because with a car that we know Tesla's continually making (P3D+/LR AWD) they probably just assign a car that's coming out of the factory to whomever had a deposit down. Since the P3D- is "limited/inventory only", when it came time for them to assign a car to me there were none left at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I put in a deposit late July for a P3D- in pearl white. At the time, I asked to postpone the delivery to this week as the owner of the car we're trading in wouldn't be back until now. I knew at the time that P3D- were limited inventory cars so I double checked with the salesperson and was told that I was guaranteed a car of my exact spec even if no VIN was assigned. Went into the store today to double check since no VIN was assigned yet and was told there's no more pearl white P3D- in the region and that I'd have to pay $2k to have one shipped from the East coast. Should I bite the bullet and just get a P3D+?
You snooze, you lose.
Let's see your "guarantee"?

• Disagree
Reactions: Phlier
Far as we've been able to tell, 100% of AWD cars came with the 980 rear motor in 2018 and are physically identical to P3D- cars made then only difference is software.

The 990 in AWDs is a relatively new thing (start of 2019 for European cars, not sure I've seen a US one built earlier than maybe March/April 2019 with a 990, but Alan can probably answer that better)

See below. As of the first or second week of January, it was still a 980 motor in the US AWD Non-P vehicle. First data I've seen from an actual early 2019 US AWD Non-P.

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

Immediately below that you can see in April 2019 they were 990. I think that is about as tightly bracketed data we have access to right now. So somewhere in that window they switched over. We don't know exactly when.

The 990 in AWDs is a relatively new thing (start of 2019 for European cars, not sure I've seen a US one built earlier than maybe March/April 2019 with a 990, but Alan can probably answer that better)

In the Motors thread, we finally have a report of a 990 motor from a January 2019 US vehicle. So looks like the switchover was January 2019 sometime, as might be expected.

Doesn't this post show a 980 still being used in April 2019 in a non-P AWD though?

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

Good point. I had forgotten about that - even though it has been only a few days since it was posted. I did not remember that post at all!

I guess it’s not an “exclusive” switchover. Appears to be 100% switched now...maybe they will switch back!

Would it be accurate to say that the earliest 990 motor we have seen was January 2019...as I recall?

Good point. I had forgotten about that - even though it has been only a few days since it was posted. I did not remember that post at all!

I guess it’s not an “exclusive” switchover. Appears to be 100% switched now...maybe they will switch back!

Would it be accurate to say that the earliest 990 motor we have seen was January 2019...as I recall?

The 1 report of the Jan 990 US motor didn't include a picture (and was from someone with only 1 post here ever), so no it wouldn't be accurate to say we've "seen" one :p

I suppose it's possible they originally intended 990 for the europe launch and used a few spares in US cars in January though, and didn't switch primary US AWD production over till late April/March or something.