Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a deposit on a P3D-, now they're unable to give me one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully this all works out for you, but what I've learned with my short history with Tesla is this...if they are offering a product you want at a price you like, buy it and take delivery as soon as possible because it could very well quickly disappear. I had vacillated for a day or two earlier this year when I decided the MR RWD car was the right one for me. Literally minutes later when I went to order it online, the option disappeared forever. I frantically went down to a sales center a few minutes before closing time on a Sunday, and somehow I was able to get one of the very last ones in the whole country. It was stressful and made me realize you have to act decisively with Telsa, so when I saw the P3D- appear as option, I literally left work early and went to down to the sales center to pick out a car and place the deposit. I then did all the stuff online, arranged the money, and picked a delivery time even though I still had to figure out what to do with the MR car. I'm incredibly glad I did, because it sounds like the inventory dried up on these cars pretty quick.

Reactions: jjrandorin
If you have in writing that Tesla said you will get your car, make some calls. If you wan performance, try to negotiate $2-$3k of it arguing you were promised MP3- Tesla might make more if they believe its worth it for them. As far as i can tell, its now the hottest Model 3,at least talked about it.

Hopefully this all works out for you, but what I've learned with my short history with Tesla is this...if they are offering a product you want at a price you like, buy it and take delivery as soon as possible because it could very well quickly disappear. I had vacillated for a day or two earlier this year when I decided the MR RWD car was the right one for me. Literally minutes later when I went to order it online, the option disappeared forever. I frantically went down to a sales center a few minutes before closing time on a Sunday, and somehow I was able to get one of the very last ones in the whole country. It was stressful and made me realize you have to act decisively with Telsa, so when I saw the P3D- appear as option, I literally left work early and went to down to the sales center to pick out a car and place the deposit. I then did all the stuff online, arranged the money, and picked a delivery time even though I still had to figure out what to do with the MR car. I'm incredibly glad I did, because it sounds like the inventory dried up on these cars pretty quick.
Good news! They just found a car for me with the exact spec I had put my deposit down for!! Eagerly waiting for my delivery notice now...

Good news! They just found a car for me with the exact spec I had put my deposit down for!! Eagerly waiting for my delivery notice now...

Good.

No surprises here. They’re going to push the P3D+ because it is higher margin (and will make it seem like P3D Stealth is limited time only, even though it is likely not), but as long as the P3D+ exists, no reason they can’t create as many P3D Stealth as the market demands.

There is rarely any urgency when buying a car. Just wait until you get what you want.

Reactions: john85775
Good.

No surprises here. They’re going to push the P3D+ because it is higher margin (and will make it seem like P3D Stealth is limited time only, even though it is likely not), but as long as the P3D+ exists, no reason they can’t create as many P3D Stealth as the market demands.

There is rarely any urgency when buying a car. Just wait until you get what you want.
Now I hope the car's in good shape during delivery. Think I just went through an emotional rollercoaster equivalent to driving the P3D!

I ordered the P3D- and it's scheduled for delivery this week. The weird thing is in my account page, the vehicle details is showing LR AWD. The SA emailed me when he matched the VIN to my account, and it said Performance. The VIN matches from the screenshot he sent me and the VIN in my account. I contacted them, and they said we will have to wait until it's delivered. He also mentioned that there's a chance that I may not get the performance. I don't want to have to settle for the LR AWD, but I also don't want to wait too long for the P3D-.

I ordered the P3D- and it's scheduled for delivery this week. The weird thing is in my account page, the vehicle details is showing LR AWD. The SA emailed me when he matched the VIN to my account, and it said Performance. The VIN matches from the screenshot he sent me and the VIN in my account. I contacted them, and they said we will have to wait until it's delivered. He also mentioned that there's a chance that I may not get the performance. I don't want to have to settle for the LR AWD, but I also don't want to wait too long for the P3D-.

Oh good god. How do they not know?!?! Whatever the case, don’t settle for what you don’t want.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
He also mentioned that there's a chance that I may not get the performance.

It's often a good idea to ignore what Tesla people say. I would just look at the total price of what you're paying for in your MVPA and any other documents showing the projected price, and I would not worry about it. If your price is consistent with Performance, that's what you're going to get. Obviously you're not going to accept an AWD.

It's often a good idea to ignore what Tesla people say. I would just look at the total price of what you're paying for in your MVPA and any other documents showing the projected price, and I would not worry about it. If your price is consistent with Performance, that's what you're going to get. Obviously you're not going to accept an AWD.

Unfortunately, the price still shows the LR AWD price in my account. I thought it would get updated, but nothing since Friday. Is there any way I can find out using the VIN number?

Unfortunately, the price still shows the LR AWD price in my account. I thought it would get updated, but nothing since Friday. Is there any way I can find out using the VIN number?

That's unfortunate, but you still might want to just wait and see. If your guy matched you with a Performance hopefully you'll be good. I think as long as you actually pay for Performance you should be covered. Not sure what to suggest.

I don't know anything about the VIN lookup, though there are threads explaining the details here or there. The 8th digit is apparently what distinguishes it, but apparently it is a "B" on all Dual Motor vehicles. I have a Performance and that digit is a "B" (not a "4" which is what is indicated as performance in some early NHTSA submissions - but that may apply to the Model S/X line only).

Last edited:
Does it say “LR AWD” or “LR AWD Performance”?

LR AWD. It was LR AWD because that was my original order. The SA matched me to the performance VIN on Friday, and I was expecting the change on my config along with the price change, which did not happen yet.

That's unfortunate, but you still might want to just wait and see. If your guy matched you with a Performance hopefully you'll be good. I think as long as you actually pay for Performance you should be covered. Not sure what to suggest.

I don't know anything about the VIN lookup, though there are threads explaining the details here or there. The 8th digit is apparently what distinguishes it, but apparently it is a "B" on all Dual Motor vehicles. I have a Performance and that digit is a "B" (not a "4" which is what is indicated as performance in some early NHTSA submissions - but that may apply to the Model S/X line only).

My VIN has B on the 8th digit. The suspense is killing me.

My VIN has B on the 8th digit. The suspense is killing me

Again, does not mean much, because Performance and regular AWD both have a “B.”

Looking at other threads on this, the type of AWD cannot be determined by VIN. P3D, P3D+, AWD non-P - they are all the same. B in the 8th digit. Apparently this has not changed even though the rear motors are now different.

Only Tesla knows. And very occasionally, they don’t even know, apparently. ;)

Again, does not mean much, because Performance and regular AWD both have a “B.”

Looking at other threads on this, the type of AWD cannot be determined by VIN. P3D, P3D+, AWD non-P - they are all the same. B in the 8th digit. Apparently this has not changed even though the rear motors are now different.

Only Tesla knows. And very occasionally, they don’t even know, apparently. ;)

As you say, I dont think there is any reliable way to check via vin (which is strange in and of itself, and lends even more credence to the fact that the LR AWD and the LR AWD Performance are the exact same car with a software update). I have a B in that spot in my vin as well, and have a performance model with performance upgrade pack, like I believe you do as well.

Mine too. I just talked to a tesla delivery manager and he referenced the car being labeled with a '75'in the model name. (not in the Vin but actually in the car name) he says that indicates it was built as a performance and not LR awd and then unlocked.

Also he confirmed that my car was born on 7/11/19. So the info out there that said all these cars were built in 18. Not accurate.

Can't wait for Friday!

Mine too. I just talked to a tesla delivery manager and he referenced the car being labeled with a '75'in the model name. (not in the Vin but actually in the car name) he says that indicates it was built as a performance and not LR awd and then unlocked.

Also he confirmed that my car was born on 7/11/19. So the info out there that said all these cars were built in 18. Not accurate.

Can't wait for Friday!

My VIN is 418XXX and manufacture date is 07/2019 based on the sticker on driver side.

I see cars with 472XXX VIN’s since last week in inventory on east coast. No way they makes 50,000+ cars in few weeks and shipped them to east coast.

Proves that not all VIN ranges are used up and they are not sequential at the same time.