Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a Tesla motor in any car or truck ever made

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MS has no parking pawl, just the e brake, according to Johan. Press P and hold as car slows to an e-stop, cleaning the pads in the process. Maybe his pawl is just non-functional. :scared:
--

That Tesla motor on the video is mine - After a bit of thinking and examining the Tesla Model S drivetrain, I've came to this conclusion - the casting of the Model S gearbox indeed suggest that there should be a brake pawl. But they did not put it - probably because they didn't need it. On the other hand the Mercedes B electric got it, maybe Toyota RAV4 electric got it as well - I'm not sure. As a matter of fact the inverter is exactly the same. I did hold a true Tesla Model S inverter in my hand. I also did see the Tesla Model S motor, and I couldn't observe any difference between mine and the Model S. Since that Mercedes is a "small production car", I would presume that they just got almost unmodified drivetrain from Tesla Model S. They also inherited exactly the same charger and several other modules. It wouldn't make economical sense to redesign this unit, so they just limited the power in software, and added the parking pawl for which the gearbox was already prepared.

At least that's the theory. I'll let you know once I pull 1200A from my inverter and motor, if it survived or not :) Only one way to find out..

Is there any chance of getting some high resolution up close pics of the micro controller Tesla is using for the inverter? Of interest is the controller itself and any provisions for a BDM :)

To test the limits of the hardware, we must first remove the software limits.

...maybe Toyota RAV4 electric got it as well - I'm not sure...

How Tesla-Toyota Project Led to Culture Clash by Opposites: Cars - Bloomberg Business
...when Tesla engineers presented Toyota with early design proposals for the RAV4 EV, Toyota’s team balked at the lack of a common car component called the parking pawl -- the part of the transmission that backs up the parking brake. Instead, Tesla proposed putting in an electronic parking brake after the company experienced difficulties with the pawl it used when developing the Roadster, one person said. Toyota’s engineers were impervious and the pawl was put into the RAV4 EV...

The "usual" way automakers tend to do this is to code the VIN into the microcontrollers of higher-value components. The stereo, the immobilizer, etc... No idea what Tesla may have done though, it may have the drive unit serial number to be written to the vehicle's main computer. (What is the term for that computer anyway, ECU seems inappropriate somehow. VCU?)

Jack mentions an interesting fact, which the orientation of the DU has to be pointing forward because the gearbox lubrication pump doesn't work in reverse. One thing to note, the Rav 4 EV, and B-Class EV have the exact opposite orientation as the Model S, so if one needed to mount the DU in a different orientation, those DU's would be a viable option.