TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Put my P100d on the scale

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Zooomer, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

Those that wonder what the P100d weighs.
    It's 5080# w/o driver (I'm 240). This is with 19" wheels, no sunroof, jump seat option, air suspension and 70KW of juice which prob weighs 150# or so (jk)

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
    • Funny x 1
  2. garwood

garwood Member

IMG_0448.JPG Here's what my P100D weighed; no sunroof, no jump seats, and the state of charge of the battery is irrelevant.
    My P85D with a sunroof, same wheels and the executive seat option weighed 4,940.

• Informative x 2
  3. Mike_F

Mike_F Member

The GVWR is 5996

4. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

I can't imagine the jump seats weigh 80# although could be scale differences. Do you have premium sound? I should have mentioned I do. I weighed with charging cable and tow hook in the rear.
    Pretty cool, you only gained 60# over the P85d.

5. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

6. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

5000+ A little bit seems about right- I'd be very surprised if those scales are within 1% (ie 50 pounds at 5000 ...).
    So with one accessory or without another I'd expect to be completely immeasurable on those scales.

7. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

The jump seat option also adds stiffening to the rear -- that could add weight as well. But in general I agree that what we are seeing is more likely margin of error between scales.

8. garwood

garwood Member

When I scaled my car it read 5160 lbs with me sitting in it and I weight about 160 fully dressed so I was impressed with the accuracy of the scale.

9. rmnelson

rmnelson Member

60D refurbished, 19" wheels, coils, premium upgrades, all weather floor mats including trunk, cloth seats, metal roof, my brother and me @325 lbs, 100 lbs travel kit including a big bag of adapters with a 50' NEMA 14-50 extension cord = 5020 lbs on the scales at the dump after a drop off.

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#10 dhanson865, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    They pay by the pound the last time I went so inaccuracy or not it measures to the pound.

Important to realize the terms for scales.

Accuracy - The degree to which a measurement relates to its actual (true) value.

Repeatability (also Precision) – This is a scale's ability to show consistent results under the same conditions.

Reproducibility – This is the scale's ability to show consistent results under changed conditions.

Readability (also Resolution, Scale Division, Scale Interval, Increment, Digit, d) – On electronic and digital scales, this is the smallest change in mass that corresponds to a change in displayed value.

If it can tell you the weight after 53 pounds of paper are taken out of the car and get that 53 pound difference it may be inaccurate compared to the gross weight and still be very readable down to the pound.

For example a real world car weighs 3600 pounds.

Scale A can say 3781 pound and scale B can say 2485 pounds and both are inaccurate. But both might read to the pound and both might say the same 53 pounds difference after moving paper out of the car.

That's a calibration issue. And can be technically called accuracy. But it doesn't mean the scale doesn't measure correctly.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

All true.
    Thank you for the lesson in measurement.
    Doesn't help me to know at all whether the numbers people are quoting are correct or not, but does tempt one to drive on and off the scale at the local garbage dump....

12. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Also keep in mind that there will be some variation between the weight of two identically equipped production cars just due to manufacturing tolerances.

13. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

My P85DL weighed 4900, 2500 in front and 2400 in back. I have pano roof, no woofer.

14. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Well, there's some serious weight gain on the P100D, vs. the 60. The IIHS crash tests involved about four (or more?) MS's, and they all seemed to be right around 4,400 pounds, with the roof crush test car (w/a Pano Roof) about 50 pounds heavier.

Wonder what the all-glass roof weighs relative to the Pano?

I can see a possible Tesla club meeting at local scale coming up!

Scroll down for weight details here:

Vehicle details

15. LVSP85D

LVSP85D Member

So P85DL may have slight advantage on handling and braking over P100D due to weight.

16. TIppy

TIppy Active Member

The P100D's extra weight is all below the 17.5 inch cg height of the P85D so the cg will be lower. This might improve the handling of the 100 over the 85.

17. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

I'm honestly not that impressed by the handling of the car. It's not bad but there is a lot of body roll. I didn't notice much dif from my 19 to staggered 21's which I thought was odd too. The sway bars are minuscule on the Tesla which may be some of it.