Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 earnings call discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Concerned about the new CPU coming next year. Pay the money for FSD then still have to pay for this later. Unconfirmed, but very doubtful Tesla will pick up the bill for that upgrade.
According to this article Tesla may offer it as a free upgrade to current AP 2.0:

“Tesla has previously said that this upgrade will be offered for free since Tesla has been advertising Autopilot 2.0 cars as being fully autonomous ready and therefore, any upgrade to make it fully autonomous should be free.”
Source:
Tesla claims to have ‘world’s most advanced computer for autonomous driving’ with Autopilot 3.0 update coming next year

Concerned about the new CPU coming next year. Pay the money for FSD then still have to pay for this later. Unconfirmed, but very doubtful Tesla will pick up the bill for that upgrade.
It will be a free upgrade if you already purchased FSD. I would bet a substantial amount on that.

There's a reason they increased the price of after-delivery FSD.

This is so important, it shows you there's demand for the Model 3 from all segments of the population. Before some suggested Model 3 would have issues with demand because they would run out of people able to afford $50k cars. But this shows you people are trading up big to get this s3xy Model 3.

I don't think people realize that this Prius, Accord, and Civic market is much bigger than the premium sedans market. For Tesla to be able to tap into that, it shows what they are doing is working, and people really want the Model 3's.

Totally.

Honestly, "conquest sales" was my #1 topic for my questions even before they came out and shared this list. But I was super curious to see how percentages actually break down. Do these 5 models represent 5% of trade-ins? 20%? 50%? What are the top 20 and how much do they represent?

We'll continue to explore the market from the outside, like in the Toyota vs Tesla article I rushed out just before the call.

(my first post)
I just picked up my Model 3 last weekend. I didn't do a trade-in, but I just got rid of my Nissan Leaf (lease expired last month) and kept my Prius plugin. So do I count for two of the five above? :) Most probably I counted as none of them since I didn't do a trade.
I did a 3 year lease on the Leaf with the expectation of the Model 3 release date way back then. I miscalculated by only a few weeks.

Mike

Congrats on the smart timing!

Reactions: SVMike