Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 2013 results - projections and expectations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated my numbers (car registrations for Q 3 per country). Some explanations:

• US numbers for august and september are supposedly registration data from Polk (although i am not 100% sure).
  • Sweden and France are missing direct data sources and i think these numbers might be a bit on the low side
  • these are car registrations and therefore these should be deliveries in Tesla's books (non-GAAP), but maybe there are reasons for Tesla to discount some of these deliveries (although i cant think of one)
Awesome work. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Last time i used the VIN-based method. This time its car registrations. I would think this method is a more accurate one but to be honest 6600 deliveries seems pretty bullish to me as well.

I think i found the flaw: Show cars and loaners are registered as well but they dont count as deliveries. On the other hand: Most loaners have been sold at the end of the quarter according to the rumor mill.
Oh well...back to work. I have to come up with a number for these.

Appreciate your good work!

Very interesting work, Maekuz. I tried to dig into the source of the US figures. It is a consultancy called Ward's Auto. However, even after searching their site it is unclear how they have arrived at these numbers. I would guess that this would mean that these are registration numbers? Hopefully they are "clean numbers", i.e. individually verified. Sometimes consultancies do funny stuff to numbers - for instance they could have access to numbers for some states/countries and not others, and "correct" them by applying a factor to take into account the unknown territories.

You are coming up with estimates that are definitively higher than mine above. That is comforting, as I already feel that Tesla are doing well based on my own numbers. :)

Very interesting work, Maekuz. I tried to dig into the source of the US figures. It is a consultancy called Ward's Auto. However, even after searching their site it is unclear how they have arrived at these numbers. I would guess that this would mean that these are registration numbers? Hopefully they are "clean numbers", i.e. individually verified. Sometimes consultancies do funny stuff to numbers - for instance they could have access to numbers for some states/countries and not others, and "correct" them by applying a factor to take into account the unknown territories.

You are coming up with estimates that are definitively higher than mine above. That is comforting, as I already feel that Tesla are doing well based on my own numbers. :)

The data by WardsAuto is certainly a weak part. Rumor has it that WardsAuto get their numbers from Polk and Polk is known to rely on registration data. But thats about it. I would classify the US numbers as an indication. Its a guesstimate and it feels like WardsAuto (or Polk) are a bit more accurate than the Autodata numbers.

The data by WardsAuto is certainly a weak part. Rumor has it that WardsAuto get their numbers from Polk and Polk is known to rely on registration data. But thats about it. I would classify the US numbers as an indication. Its a guesstimate and it feels like WardsAuto (or Polk) are a bit more accurate than the Autodata numbers.

I guess the Q3 report will tell us a lot about the quality, since the European data should be quite accurate (except for including some loaners and showroom cars, which should be a relatively low number - I guesstimate we are talking ~20 cars in Norway, so maybe 50-60 cars for all of EU?).

So another data point for guidance numbers. According to the Munich event (11/20 Munich Tesla Event with Elon Musk) Elon's made now an official statement that battery commitment is there for up to 1200 cars / week production.

Assuming we enter 2014 with 650 cars / week (i.e. end of Q4) for pessimistic estimates and finish the year with 1200 cars / week with linear increase (each month the rate is increased by 50) we get 8400 cars in Q1, 10200 in Q2, 12000 in Q3 and 13800 in Q4 with total 44.4k.

Doing the same math, but assuming that the first half we increase the weekly rate every other month with third quarter increasing it every month and final quarter doubling the rate so somewhat a parabolic increase over the year we get to 8k in Q1, 8.8k in Q2, 10.2k in Q3 and 13.2k in Q4 with total 40.2k.

And now the reverse of the previous one with the parabolic rise happening early on (the most optimistic estimate) we get 9k in Q1, 11.4k in Q2, 12.8k in Q3 and 14k in Q4 for a total of 47.2k.

So just assuming various ramp-up speeds from 650 / week to 1200 / week we can get total FY2014 guidance between 40k-47k. Of course Panasonic having capacity for 1200 cars / week might not mean that we'll actually hit that number end of 2014 so take this as a mental exercise to give a ballpark measure.

Great post DonPedro. Now that you made a couple of "edits", I am inclined to agree with you completely.

I just wanted to point out that when I said 7,000 max, I was referring to number of cars produced. I agree with you that you have to subtract -150 and -500 (give or take), which means that in my opinion there is less than a 1% we exceed 6,350 delivered. Some people are talking like 6,500 is a done deal and I would be careful using that number when deciding which options to purchase (if you are into that stuff, and a lot of people are on this forum).

I have not had the time to run the numbers, so that 6,350 is likely to go down from here and end up closer to my original estimate from September (that DonPedro pointed out) of 6,000 delivered.

If Tesla did deliver 6,500 cars then it would be a 30% beat vs. guidance and imo they would have to preannounce earnings. I actually bought some options to play this potential preannouncement, but have sold them since it didn't materialize. If they were to do a preannouncement, it would have been done by last week. I think that we are getting too close to earnings to do it now.

Even at 6,000 delivered, that is still a 20% beat and on the border of preannouncement territory.

One data point that we do have is the Deutsche Bank expectations that Tesla will hit a 600/week production run rate by the end of the year. I quickly dismissed this, since DB also said that deliveries in Q3 will be similar to Q2; and we all know that they will be at least 10% higher.

But from my experience working as an analyst, I know that these analysts have access to management and inside information (this is inevitable and as much as the SEC wants to level the playing field, simply talking to Elon gives you some kind of edge and inside information; that is why these analysts can't trade the stocks they cover). Therefore, maybe this analyst knows something that we don't. Since DB is the most bullish analyst (sorry Wedbush, nobody cares...), companies tend to give these guys the best information. Not saying that is what Elon does, but it is just human nature to supply the most bullish analyst with the best info.

On a different note, I passed along info that I have heard from multiple sources that Tesla is aiming for 800/week production by end of 2013. I first heard this 3 or 4 months ago and these are just unsubstantiated rumors that could have come from the same source. I am just passing along this information since people always ask for things like this and that is the whole benefit of having this community - to share any and all information.

It is up to each individual to weed out the bad information from the good.

As I pointed out already, I am about 98% in solar right now and only have a couple minor TSLA bull call spreads, as well as 1 share of TSLA. My main focus right now is on solar, because I personally like that risk/reward (a lot) better. I still think that TSLA is a great long term investment and that the stock will double again by the end of next year, but I am not heavily invested as some people here so please do your due diligence before making investment decisions based on rumors.

I think that we are getting close to a period where buying shares and LEAPS is the best way to play TSLA. Short-term options to "play" the earnings are going to be hit or miss. I still think that we will have a great Q3 and the stock will pop 10%, but that is not enough to make good gains on options vs. the amount of risk you are taking. That said, I will probably buy a couple of Nov calls before earnings, but I will do it more for the adrenaline rush this time than to make a lot of money. It is not as easy anymore as it was during Q1.

I think we have to face that fact that we are not able to predict the production in this quarter with any accuracy. I have tried to look back through this thread to see what I could find of original data points or analysis, rather than just echo:

VIN assignment
This method is actually very clever. It assumes that although Tesla have been intentionally skipping back and forth in the VINs to throw off any analysis, they will still over time be assigning VINs at a pace that corresponds to production. So rather than tracking the VINs themselves, it tracks the number of people who get VINs assigned. Having said that, Q3 assignment rates are clearly higher than production, because many EU customers got VINs assigned for production way into the future, while that was not the case in Q2. The method may become more accurate in Q4. As an indication of the lack of accuracy, the VIN assignment rate was actually falling recently. At best the rate could be used as a ceiling for Q3. The rate has been 728 VINs per week over the past two months. (Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/new-vin-thread-please-post-your-newly-assigned-vins-here)

Max VINs produced/delivered
Several contributors have posted analyses based on tracking VINs that have been produced or delivered. I am not including these, due to my complete conviction that this is an inherently unreliable method. I am waiting for delivery of my car in early December, and higher VINs than mine have been delivered long ago. Many others are in the same situation. q.e.d.

Aug 20 video
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYmSuicTXE
Elon says "Now we are at around 500 to 550 a week". Assuming this is the average for the quarter, this means a production of 5,900-6,490 cars. Taking into account that they are generally sandbagging in good times, maybe go with the higher number of ~6,500?
Note that although the video was posted on Aug 20, it is unclear when it was recorded.

Employee chatter and rumors
2pearls: "I Have heard from an informed source that they are presently manufacturing 700+ cars per week. 500 for US and 200 for Europe. Has anyone else heard this or taken a tour to see what they are manufacturing?"
brianstorms: "I went on a 1300-mile drive up to Northern CA and along the way spoke to various Tesla employees who I asked about the 700+ week figure and they pretty much confirmed that that is what the factory is up to"
Sleepyhead: "I have my own ways of determining how many cars were produced/delivered but I have not had enough time to go through the process. But I can already tell that at a maximum Tesla produced 7,000 cars in Q3. When I say maximum, I mean that it could be a number anywhere from 5,500 to 7,000"

New analysis from me:

Exponential extrapolation
Just a simple exercise of mine. Q1 shareholder letter says they built "more than" 5000 cars in that quarter. A report on this forum cites a congratulatory sign at the factory reporting 5454 cars in Q2. There were 60 working days in Q1, which means 83.3 cars/working day assuming the 5000 figure. In Q2 there were 58 work days, taking into account the week they closed the factory. This gives 94.0 cars per working day, an increase of 12.8%. Assuming they were able to do 12.8% again in Q3, their daily production would be 106.1 cars/working day. Based on 59 working days (taking into account one week off for the factory), this would give a Q3 production of 6,258 cars.

One could wonder whether the recall depressed production. However, seeing that they reported the cost at only $150,000 and that the cars were fixed at service centers I don't think there was any significant impact.

Conclusion: Taking the above together, I feel that we are going to be in the 6,500-6,900 range, going for a middle estimate of 6,700. It is tempting to put a higher figure based on the employee chatter/rumors, but this data feels like an outlier that must be disregarded. At the same time, the video gives me confidence of at least 6,500.

A summary of the firm predictions of others that I could find:

DaveT: 6600
Sleepy: 5500-7000 (said 6000 in a post in early September)
Vgrinshpun: >7080 (>600/week)
Julian Cox: >6600
Convert: 7340-7930
DrDave: 6490-7080 "at best" (550-600 at best)
Clprenz: 7,750
bonnie, Kevin99 and others: No firm prediction, but expressing a feeling that others are too optimistic

To discuss the other items that go into the analysis of deliveries:

Increase in inventory of loaners and showroom cars: I cannot see how this would not be higher than zero. The word at end of Q2 was that all loaners had been sold off, and they have opened new showrooms. On the other hand, they seem to be pushing hard to maximize Q3 numbers and there are rumors of low stock of loaners also now. I will guesstimate an increase in the inventory of some 150 cars.
Increase in cars-in-transit to delivery: Some (Julian Cox I think) have claimed that cars-in-transit was high at the start of the quarter. I do not have hard data, but here in the biggest EU market there were few reports of deliveries prior to Aug 15. In the Netherlands and Switzerland, the total for July and August was 51, and many of those cars would have been produced in July. I will guesstimate the ingoing inventory at 100. Outgoing is going to be lower than expected, based on a data point of an 80% drop in the rate of new registrations of Model S in Norway from September to October. Guesstimate: 500-700 cars outgoing, will assume 600. The increase would then be 500.

Unless the train crash killed a significant number of cars, Q3 deliveries would then be 6,700-150-500 = 6,050.

----

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think this estimate should not be considered pessimistic in any way. They key question that is going through my head is: "Why would they drop EU deliveries almost to zero in October, and then ramp them up wildly afterwards?". The effect of doing so is boosting Q3 at the expense of Q4 (and some logistics disruptions). If they were beating Q3 massively, there would be no reason to do so.

EDIT2: Felt that a sensitivity analysis would be in order. So here goes:

Pessimistic: 6,200-150-600 = 5,450
Optimistic: 6,900-50-400 = 6,450

Assumptions for pessimistic scenario: 525 cars/week (the middle of the 500-550 cited by Elon in the Aug 20 video). 150 net new non-delivery cars. 700 cars in transit to Europe at end-of-quarter, 100 at beginning.
Assumptions for optimistic scenario: 585 cars/week (an increase of 26.5% on previous quarter, as compared to the 12.8% they managed in Q2). Only 50 non-delivery cars (incl. train wreck). 500 cars in transit to EU after quarter, 100 before.

My gut feeling is that the optimistic scenario is really a stretch. The pessimistic scenario, on the other hand, still implies a similar quarter on quarter increase in production than they managed in Q2 (of whice they were justly proud).

With regards to the decrease in Norwegian deliveries, I have another theory, that I would like to share.
I’m wondering if this “drop” in deliveries for Norway in October, has something to do with the new plant in the Netherlands that opened on the 22.ndAugust. The big rush in Norwegian deliveries was in late August and September, and then it became more silent. As you all know the cars to the Norwegian market are delivered directly to Norway, because we are not a “real” EU member. I expect it was as simple, as there was a need to fill up the plant in the Netherlands with enough cars to keep the workers busy, and simultaneously getting the deliveries out to please EU signature and early reservation holders, which leads to fewer deliveries in Norway.

Cut from Tesla’shomepages:
With a size of 18.900 square meters, this new state-of-the-art facility iswell prepared to receive the brand new Model S which is shipped over from the US.Having crossed the ocean and reached Europe, Model S arrives at the Tilburg plant for finalassembly before being delivered across the continent.”

Just my thoughts about the decrease in Norwegian deliveries. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I wrote "550 per week in June i.e. c6600 quarterly run rate", meaning reaching 550p/w by end of June (convert that into a "quarter-ized" run rate and you get c6600). Looking backwards over Q2 that number was reached from a starting point of around 400, but looking forward across Q3 it would seem fair that 550p/w can be treated as a starting point and as a minimum. Production may well have averaged 600p/w or sloped in some other pattern to 600 or perhaps 700 depending on the weight given to the evidence for that. Personally I think that is quite likely, nevertheless starting at a wholly reliable 550pw in Q3 and going level or anywhere up from there is sufficient to look forward to Q3 results the trigger for another squeeze when adding Q2 carry over to go north of 7000+profits+>20gross + GAAP & Non-GAAP profits. If the figure turns out to be 7500~8000+ then the only question is the scale of the carnage.

Julian - I'm quite confident that Tesla did not enter Q3 at over 500 cars/week. In Q2, they most likely produced 5450 cars. There were 13 weeks of production in Q2. So 5450 divided by 13 = 419 cars/week avg in Q2. They started Q2 likely at slightly below 400/week and probably ended Q2 at 480/week at the most IMO. So I think using 550/week as a starting number for Q3 would not be accurate.

I'm also growing more convinced that Tesla did not reach 600 cars/week by end of Q3 (ie., DB report, Elon statements, and other).

There were also only 12 weeks of production (because first week of July was vacation for the factory).

So if Tesla started Q3 at 480/week and ended at 570/week, then the avg would be 525/week x 12 weeks = 6300 cars produced.

For cars delivered, I'm thinking of subtracting 500-600 cars for transit, loaners and store cars.

So, Q3 cars sold might be 5700-5800.

- - - Updated - - -

With regards to the decrease in Norwegian deliveries, I have another theory, that I would like to share.
I’m wondering if this “drop” in deliveries for Norway in October, has something to do with the new plant in the Netherlands that opened on the 22.ndAugust. The big rush in Norwegian deliveries was in late August and September, and then it became more silent. As you all know the cars to the Norwegian market are delivered directly to Norway, because we are not a “real” EU member. I expect it was as simple, as there was a need to fill up the plant in the Netherlands With enough cars to keep the workers busy, and simultaneously getting the deliveries out to please EU signature and early reservation holders, witch leads to fewer deliveries in Norway.

Cut from Tesla’shomepages:
With a size of 18.900 square meters, this new state-of-the-art facility iswell prepared to receive the brand new Model S which is shipped over from the US.Having crossed the ocean and reached Europe, Model S arrives at the Tilburg plant for finalassembly before being delivered across the continent.”

Just my thoughts about the decrease in Norwegian deliveries. Any thoughts?

I think Tesla stopped delivery of European cars starting last week of August (or so) until the end of September so they could reserve all the cars produced during that time for U.S. customers to minimize time of transit and insure no (or little) cars were on the boat to Europe at end of Q3. Considering transit time, I would think actual deliveries to Europe in October would be very, very small. (Can someone in Europe confirm if October deliveries are minimal?)

I also think they restarted European shipments at the first week of October, so that we'll see another big increase in European deliveries starting November.

DaveT, As always, I, like others, always appreciate your input. Maekuz, did a nice analysis of registrations in the US and Europe for Q3 and comes up with a number of deliveries that exceeds your prediction by roughly 1,000. I claim no special insight and based on VIN assignments I believe the delivery total will be over 6,000 and perhaps even 6,500. Can you give us your reasons for not embracing Maekuz's numbers?

Thanks Al

Elon did say in Munich that the production is restrained by the parts situation. As an example he mentioned the batteries.

He also said his time at Tesla is split between ramping up production and designing model X.

My impression ist that he really is pushing hard to ramp up production, because all the cars Tesla can sell help improve the bottom line. This will be used to fund future developement and grow the company.

Julian - I'm quite confident that Tesla did not enter Q3 at over 500 cars/week. In Q2, they most likely produced 5450 cars. There were 13 weeks of production in Q2. So 5450 divided by 13 = 419 cars/week avg in Q2. They started Q2 likely at slightly below 400/week and probably ended Q2 at 480/week at the most IMO. So I think using 550/week as a starting number for Q3 would not be accurate.

They take a week off every quarter, including the first week of April, IIRC. So 5450/12 = 454 car average. Also, I remember at least 2 people that took factory tours in June that reported ~540/week. There was also the Kimbal Musk tweet from 6/5/13 saying 80 cars per day, but I'm not sure if that is a 5 or 6 day week.

They take a week off every quarter, including the first week of April, IIRC. So 5450/12 = 454 car average. Also, I remember at least 2 people that took factory tours in June that reported ~540/week. There was also the Kimbal Musk tweet from 6/5/13 saying 80 cars per day, but I'm not sure if that is a 5 or 6 day week.

Do you have a link to the 540/week from 2 people on factory tours in June?

The tweet from Kimbal Musk could mean that Tesla was making 40 cars/shift (total 80 cars/day). 5 day work week (which I thought they were doing) would be 400 cars/week. 6 day would be 480 cars/week.

- - - Updated - - -

DaveT, As always, I, like others, always appreciate your input. Maekuz, did a nice analysis of registrations in the US and Europe for Q3 and comes up with a number of deliveries that exceeds your prediction by roughly 1,000. I claim no special insight and based on VIN assignments I believe the delivery total will be over 6,000 and perhaps even 6,500. Can you give us your reasons for not embracing Maekuz's numbers?

I appreciate Maekuz' work. I do have doubts on the actual data behind the numbers because it not available in "first data" form. Meaning, if we could see the actual registration data (for all states) then that would be a legitimate "first data" point. As it stands, the registration data that we have from the links in the Excel sheet is more of a "second data" point. Meaning, the sources aren't showing us the actual data but just giving us a summary number (ie., # registrations for a month). But we don't know exactly how they came up with that number as we're not privy to the actual hard data.

This is why I think while registration data like Maekuz' can be helpful in some ways, it's not the best way to gauge an accurate prediction of the actual # cars delivered in Q2. But if we can verify the actual hard data, then the registration data could be very accurate. So, I guess it's a matter of how the source collected and analyzed the data which we don't know and can't confirm the actual numbers.

In terms of "first data", VINs are a "first data" point because they're the actual hard data from users. (One of the problems with VINs is that delivery can happen 1-3 months after, or even longer if in Europe so it's difficult to use VINs to get an accurate # of actual deliveries in Q3.)

I also consider interviews from Elon Musk (or other management) as "first data" points as well. This is why his interviews in August stating they were slightly over 500 cars/week should be taken seriously.

The DB report which states that Tesla should reach 600 cars/week in Q4 is an interesting data point. It's not "first data" but it's interesting because as sleepy noted these analysts often do have access to management (and at least Tesla's investor relations) and often can confirm important "first data" points.

Top reporters (ie., CNN, Bloomberg, etc) often also have access to Tesla's PR lead and can confirm data points as well.
- Bloomberg noted on July 11th that production had passed 400 cars/week (Elon Musk: Tesla Model S Output Speeds Past 400 a Week - YouTube)
- CNN noted on August 5th, that Tesla started Q2 at 400 cars/week and ended it slightly below 500 cars/week (Tesla shares surge after surprise profit - Aug. 7, 2013 )
- CNBC noted on August 21 that Tesla had passed 500 cars/week production (Elon Musk: Tired but optimistic about Tesla's future)

There is also data points that people can't share because they might be under NDA (ie., factory tours).

Putting this altogether, I think Tesla began Q3 at under 500 cars/week and ended it at under 600 cars/week.

There has been talk of 700 cars/week (from conversations from store employees). I was open to this but now I think that these employees might have heard ORDER numbers not PRODUCTION numbers from Tesla. Meaning, Tesla probably shared with their employees that their at 700 orders week (ie., 500 north america, 200 europe) and would be at 800 orders per week in Q4 (and 1000 orders/week by end of 2014). I think some employee(s) might have confused this with production (thinking it was the same as orders) and shared that.

I thought it was for sure that Tesla was T 500-550 cars a week after the Q2 call. There was the whole interview with Elon in early July that said they exceeded 400 cars/week and not trivially and on the call I believe it was stated at 550.

Just found this on the Q2 2013 Shareholder Letter (http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...9/Q2'13 Tesla Motors Shareholder Letter.pdf):

"During Q2, we improved our production rate by 25% from 400 to almost 500 vehicles per week."

Just found this on the Q2 2013 Shareholder Letter (http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...9/Q2'13 Tesla Motors Shareholder Letter.pdf):

"During Q2, we improved our production rate by 25% from 400 to almost 500 vehicles per week."
Is there any reason to believe they didn't increase again by 100 to 600? So a 550 average * 12 weeks is 6600 produced. There's always some debate about produced versus delivered, but I'm not sure I see much reason to believe the quantity of unrecognized Q3 cars is all that much larger than those same types of cars held over from Q2.

So, continuing our discussion. If we can say that we exited Q2 just under 500 (if not 500 per week) and exited Q3 at a production rate of roughly 600 could we justify a conclusion more in line with both Maekuz's Registration analysis and CfOH's VIN analysis and come up with 6600 production (12weeks * 550/week) with 500 in transit and come to a reasonable consensus of methods to predict 6000+ deliveries for Q3?

Do you have a link to the 540/week from 2 people on factory tours in June?

The tweet from Kimbal Musk could mean that Tesla was making 40 cars/shift (total 80 cars/day). 5 day work week (which I thought they were doing) would be 400 cars/week. 6 day would be 480 cars/week.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate Maekuz' work. I do have doubts on the actual data behind the numbers because it not available in "first data" form. Meaning, if we could see the actual registration data (for all states) then that would be a legitimate "first data" point. As it stands, the registration data that we have from the links in the Excel sheet is more of a "second data" point. Meaning, the sources aren't showing us the actual data but just giving us a summary number (ie., # registrations for a month). But we don't know exactly how they came up with that number as we're not privy to the actual hard data.

This is why I think while registration data like Maekuz' can be helpful in some ways, it's not the best way to gauge an accurate prediction of the actual # cars delivered in Q2. But if we can verify the actual hard data, then the registration data could be very accurate. So, I guess it's a matter of how the source collected and analyzed the data which we don't know and can't confirm the actual numbers.

In terms of "first data", VINs are a "first data" point because they're the actual hard data from users. (One of the problems with VINs is that delivery can happen 1-3 months after, or even longer if in Europe so it's difficult to use VINs to get an accurate # of actual deliveries in Q3.)

I also consider interviews from Elon Musk (or other management) as "first data" points as well. This is why his interviews in August stating they were slightly over 500 cars/week should be taken seriously.

The DB report which states that Tesla should reach 600 cars/week in Q4 is an interesting data point. It's not "first data" but it's interesting because as sleepy noted these analysts often do have access to management (and at least Tesla's investor relations) and often can confirm important "first data" points.

Top reporters (ie., CNN, Bloomberg, etc) often also have access to Tesla's PR lead and can confirm data points as well.
- Bloomberg noted on July 11th that production had passed 400 cars/week (Elon Musk: Tesla Model S Output Speeds Past 400 a Week - YouTube)
- CNN noted on August 5th, that Tesla started Q2 at 400 cars/week and ended it slightly below 500 cars/week (Tesla shares surge after surprise profit - Aug. 7, 2013 )
- CNBC noted on August 21 that Tesla had passed 500 cars/week production (Elon Musk: Tired but optimistic about Tesla's future)

There is also data points that people can't share because they might be under NDA (ie., factory tours).

Putting this altogether, I think Tesla began Q3 at under 500 cars/week and ended it at under 600 cars/week.

There has been talk of 700 cars/week (from conversations from store employees). I was open to this but now I think that these employees might have heard ORDER numbers not PRODUCTION numbers from Tesla. Meaning, Tesla probably shared with their employees that their at 700 orders week (ie., 500 north america, 200 europe) and would be at 800 orders per week in Q4 (and 1000 orders/week by end of 2014). I think some employee(s) might have confused this with production (thinking it was the same as orders) and shared that.

I agree with this and that is why I have not re-posted my article, since the store employee seemed a little too optimistic. With the exuberance running at an all-time high, I did not want people to get even more excited and put their whole life's savings into deep OTM Nov. call options (sounds like something I would do :wink: ).

I just wanted to add that there is evidence that Tesla did in fact build 550, 550, and 600 cars in the last three weeks of Q2. This data comes from witnesses on the factory tours. It looked to me as if Tesla was doing 400/week and then all of a sudden a supplier constraint got solved and they were able to ramp up to 500 virtually over night. That 600 number was probably an anomaly though.

So, continuing our discussion. If we can say that we exited Q2 just under 500 (if not 500 per week) and exited Q3 at a production rate of roughly 600 could we justify a conclusion more in line with both Maekuz's Registration analysis and CfOH's VIN analysis and come up with 6600 production (12weeks * 550/week) with 500 in transit and come to a reasonable consensus of methods to predict 6000+ deliveries for Q3?

That's what I originally thought (ie., last week)... 500 beginning of Q3, 600 end of Q3... avg 550 x 12 weeks = 6600 production. Then minus 500-600 for transit, loaners, store cars.

But I'm actually now doubting if Tesla actually reached 600/week in Q3, and thinking it could be a goal that they're targeting during Q4 (ie., DB report says this).

Also, regarding CfOH's VIN analysis, it's tough to use his data to come up with an accurate Q3 production or delivery number. His data IMO is helpful to see the pace of orders more so than deliveries or production. The reason being is that often a VIN is assigned not to long after an order is confirmed, but delivery can take any where from 1-3 months(?) depending on country and also when you ordered. And delivery times might be getting longer as well (but this doesn't show up in CfOH's analysis since he tracks just the initial VIN date and not production or delivery dates).

That's what I originally thought (ie., last week)... 500 beginning of Q3, 600 end of Q3... avg 550 x 12 weeks = 6600 production. Then minus 500-600 for transit, loaners, store cars.

But I'm actually now doubting if Tesla actually reached 600/week in Q3, and thinking it could be a goal that they're targeting during Q4 (ie., DB report says this).

Also, regarding CfOH's VIN analysis, it's tough to use his data to come up with an accurate Q3 production or delivery number. His data IMO is helpful to see the pace of orders more so than deliveries or production. The reason being is that often a VIN is assigned not to long after an order is confirmed, but delivery can take any where from 1-3 months(?) depending on country and also when you ordered. And delivery times might be getting longer as well (but this doesn't show up in CfOH's analysis since he tracks just the initial VIN date and not production or delivery dates).

Whatever the number is, it should really reflect getting ready for their annual target for 2014. If Tesla wants to deliver 50K cars in 2014, 6 to 7 K deliveries in Q3 should provide them the appropriate growth rate needed to make that target for 2014 (they should be able to achieve a 20 to 25% q over q growth rate in production). Any more will prepare them for Model X and any Model S surge from China, etc for 2014. Important is gross margins for q3 and guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.