Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 2013 results - projections and expectations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A loaner sold is perhaps two registrations, correct? And they sold a lot of loaners in Q3. The interesting item is that the loaners are still considered as new cars for tax purposes, correct? Since they weren't yet given a title.

A loaner sold is perhaps two registrations, correct? And they sold a lot of loaners in Q3. The interesting item is that the loaners are still considered as new cars for tax purposes, correct? Since they weren't yet given a title.
Presumably the sale of a loaner is considered a used-car sale, so there shouldn't be double-counting in the data.

I came up with roughly 6,600 registered cars worldwide for Q3. I am thinking to subtract about 500 - 600 cars (show room cars and loaners).
Why subtract? Every loaner/showroom at this point is replacing a loaner/showroom sold, so it should be a net even except for a) new service centers and stores, and b) expanding service centers. But those two caveats can't come close to 500 more loaners than existed before.

Loaners have to be registered since they are used in public traffic. For show room cars this might be different, but i saw the show car in Munich, Germany, and this car has been registered (it got license plates and so on...). And for the other question: At least in germany the car is delivered first and registered afterwards.

Thanks, looks like the total cars not registered is a very low % then.

Good point! This might let me produce even more refined results.

The key thing I still need to know is in the US what is the average time between delivery and registration.

Norwegian "Vi menn" visited the factory in Freemont and met Patrick Jones. He said they produce 500 cars a week and they thought they would produce 23 000 this year.
He also said GEN3 is coming in 2017 and there have been talks of Model S AWD, but not atm.

http://www.tv2.no/underholdning/broom/sjokkert-over-teslafeberen-i-norge-4141354.html

Thanks for the post. I would add that '500 produced per week' might be the 'official statement' that all staff are allowed to share. I hope (and suspect) that by the end of Q3 they were more in the 600/week level.

The loaners I've had (in California) have all had "DLR" (dealer) plates on them. These are registrations that are not attached to any particular car, and can be moved around. There's a relatively small number of these, and the number just increases slowly as the fleet grows. So I don't think there is any significant number of duplicate registrations. I think a similar situation apples in most states.

The loaners I've had (in California) have all had "DLR" (dealer) plates on them. These are registrations that are not attached to any particular car, and can be moved around. There's a relatively small number of these, and the number just increases slowly as the fleet grows. So I don't think there is any significant number of duplicate registrations. I think a similar situation apples in most states.

This jives with what I've heard, as well. Loaner/test drive cars are not sold as used in the US, as the buyers are still eligible for the federal tax credit. More than one person has confirmed this here, although I don't have links handy.

I ventured over to the Model X Tally thread and ran a few numbers.

The two closest data points for the start of Q3 are on;

14-Jun:#4076
07-Jul: #4417

If you count the days they were reported on, you get 24 days or 14.2 reservations per day. Interpolating to the start of Q3 (01-Jul) that would put the reservations number somewhere around #4317.

That last data point for Q3 is;

30-Sep: #6005

Which means that there was approximately 1,688 reservations made in Q3. I checked the spreadsheet for the various totals for EU and Canada, but there is not enough detail to link the reservation #'s with the relevant quarter dates. Looking at the overall numbers, it looks like EU and Canada add 15% to the US total and 10% of the overall total is Signatures. I used the overall to date numbers to get the blend of EU, Canada and Signatures.

So, we get combined reservations totaling;

1,688 US Production * 115% (EU and Canada) = 1,941 - (10% Signatures) = 1,746 Production reservations and 195 Signature reservations

1,746 @ $5,000 = $8,730,000
195 @ $40,000 = $7,800,000

For a total Model X reservation revenue of $16,530,000.

I hope the math is correct on this. I'm aware that it's not huge in terms of the overall quarter, but I feel like if reservations do count as revenue, it's a number worth knowing.

I ventured over to the Model X Tally thread and ran a few numbers.

The two closest data points for the start of Q3 are on;

14-Jun:#4076
07-Jul: #4417

If you count the days they were reported on, you get 24 days or 14.2 reservations per day. Interpolating to the start of Q3 (01-Jul) that would put the reservations number somewhere around #4317.

That last data point for Q3 is;

30-Sep: #6005

Which means that there was approximately 1,688 reservations made in Q3. I checked the spreadsheet for the various totals for EU and Canada, but there is not enough detail to link the reservation #'s with the relevant quarter dates. Looking at the overall numbers, it looks like EU and Canada add 15% to the US total and 10% of the overall total is Signatures. I used the overall to date numbers to get the blend of EU, Canada and Signatures.

So, we get combined reservations totaling;

1,688 US Production * 115% (EU and Canada) = 1,941 - (10% Signatures) = 1,746 Production reservations and 195 Signature reservations

1,746 @ $5,000 = $8,730,000
195 @ $40,000 = $7,800,000

For a total Model X reservation revenue of $16,530,000.

I hope the math is correct on this. I'm aware that it's not huge in terms of the overall quarter, but I feel like if reservations do count as revenue, it's a number worth knowing.

it is not recognized as revenue until the X is delivered. However, that cash would flow through to the statement of Operations cash flow number.

edit: thanks for running those numbers. Amazing that X R&D is almost halfway funded through reservations. Think reservation system is large reason why more capital will not need to be raised for X and Gen III production.

Might be nothing and really doesn't blow anything open, but in the press release about the german stuff there's such a little sentence:

Tesla has delivered more than 15,000 Model S to customers in 31 countries . Deliveries of the Model S in Europe started in August .

Taking the 2012+2013 Q1-2 numbers we get 12 700 cars. I guess Tesla didn't want to give away the total number of cars, but it puts a definite baseline that they delivered more than 2300 cars in Q3 :D

The Nissan Leaf is now the most-sold car in Norway in October, according to national newspaper Aftenposten. The Model S is in the 42nd place, as expected.

This is great news IMO. Tesla just sold 53 cars the first 21 days of the month, compared to 616 in the whole september. This means they are holding back as expected! And no, demand still skyhigh. Still big waitinglist.

That's a real interesting point and something a lot of people have overlooked. And what will be the reservation amount for the GenIII - $2500? $1000?

I wouldn't lay down $2,500 since I'd just want base+heat(pump+seats+mirrors) and I have absolutely no doubt that my low config would see me waiting at least a year to get it. But I'd be willing to lay down $1,000 to get a bleacher near the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.