Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone has figured it out please for the love of God tell me. The seat won't change position on opening for the driver, so I get out lock car walk away wife gets in with her key/phone and has to tap the screen to her profile. The same happens to me after she's been driving, save my sanity and either tell me it doesn't change position on opening like our previous cars or what I'm doing wrong.
Did I mention this cars fast 😂 loving it aside from the profile stuff.
Parcel shelf has cured my concerns over slight boom on test drive back in April, the standard audio system is very good with tidal and I have had some good systems in cars over the years. I might have to set the speed limiter because with no engine noise it's up there without realising, suspension is fine no issues at all its a long time ago but I genuinely think it's improved from test drive I'd have bought the 20s if it had been like this back then.

If anyone has figured it out please for the love of God tell me. The seat won't change position on opening for the driver, so I get out lock car walk away wife gets in with her key/phone and has to tap the screen to her profile. The same happens to me after she's been driving, save my sanity and either tell me it doesn't change position on opening like our previous cars or what I'm doing wrong.
Did I mention this cars fast 😂 loving it aside from the profile stuff.
Parcel shelf has cured my concerns over slight boom on test drive back in April, the standard audio system is very good with tidal and I have had some good systems in cars over the years. I might have to set the speed limiter because with no engine noise it's up there without realising, suspension is fine no issues at all its a long time ago but I genuinely think it's improved from test drive I'd have bought the 20s if it had been like this back then.
In the locks section of the controls you can associate each key, phone or card, to a profile. If the car is unlocked with that key. Then that profile should be selected and the settings including the seat should move to the correct place for that driver.

Edit: if the profile has easy entry selected then that seat position would be set to that instead. Seat would then move to the drivers position when put in drive

Last edited:
In the locks section of the controls you can associate each key, phone or card, to a profile. If the car is unlocked with that key. Then that profile should be selected and the settings including the seat should move to the correct place for that driver.

Edit: if the profile has easy entry selected then that seat position would be set to that instead. Seat would then move to the drivers position when put in drive
You sir are an absolute star, I'm embarrassed at how simple that was 🤦‍♂️😆 just tap the symbol associated with that profile for that key. Anyway all done thank you again

You sir are an absolute star, I'm embarrassed at how simple that was 🤦‍♂️😆 just tap the symbol associated with that profile for that key. Anyway all done thank you again
No worries. That's what forums are for. You aren't the first to have that issue. It's not very obvious that clicking the head and shoulders icon attaches the current profile to that key. You expect a menu or something. It's been three years since i last did it. Took me a few minutes to remember when i collected last week.

Nice comparative observations here (M3 - MY) and thanks for the "DON`T download the software update tip"....duly noted and will wait till I get home! As for the Acceleration Boost........you going to add this onto your insurance, as it is a chargable option. I was told in no uncertain terms by my insurer that IF they found out during a claim, they WOULD Void my policy instantly! (unfortunately this upgrade once activated is not removable and there electronicaly for all to see) not like the good old days of plug-in EOBD chip tuning boxes! 😇
I'm with Admiral and don't regard the software update as a modification as it from the manufacturer and covered by Tesla warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: EV-Head
I'm with Admiral and don't regard the software update as a modification as it from the manufacturer and covered by Tesla warranty.
To be clear (if a bit pedantic) You don't regard... or Admiral don't regard?

I am with Admiral and this is interesting news for the future when I just might, but probably not, and yet again, could be in a position to consider.......getting off the fence!

Now then ....SWMBO says. "It might be an idea to master low speed kerb avoidance before improving on the already "stunning" acceleration ....
and yes, I would like a softer head restraint for those moments"

Come on... where are all the pictures?! 🤣

Interesting to hear that it felt slower than the M3 SR+? Given the 0-60 times are quite different I'd have expected it to still feel a lot quicker? Is it maybe because of the height difference making it feel less go kart like?
Maybe, but the nail in the coffin was when my wife came home after her first drive in the new car and her first comment was "I much prefer this car - it does not feel like a rollercoaster ride anymore!"

5 minutes later I had ordered the acceleration boost :)

I justified it to myself by telling myself I could "return" it if the difference was marginal BUT after a couple of drives I absolutely love it. It feels much more like the Model 3 / push you back in your seat / rollercoaster experience.

If this is your first Tesla then you will love the speed of your new Model Y. It's most likely the fastest car you have ever owned and it's built so much better than the model 3 - but if you are coming from a model 3 and want the best of both worlds, then I strongly suggest you try it out for 48 hours.

Real test will be today when my wife drives it again 😇

To be clear (if a bit pedantic) You don't regard... or Admiral don't regard?

I am with Admiral and this is interesting news for the future when I just might, but probably not, and yet again, could be in a position to consider.......getting off the fence!

Now then ....SWMBO says. "It might be an idea to master low speed kerb avoidance before improving on the already "stunning" acceleration ....
and yes, I would like a softer head restraint for those moments"
ooops., sorry. I mean Admiral don't regard.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I'm with admiral and they do regard acceleration boost as a modification and they explicitly asked what % increase in power it made over standard. Naturally there was a small increase in premium. If you are economical with the truth about what the upgrade does then of course you may get a different answer - the person I spoke to did have to speak to the underwritters who were well aware what it was

Take your chances if you wish for the circa £100 it cost me.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the nail in the coffin was when my wife came home after her first drive in the new car and her first comment was "I much prefer this car - it does not feel like a rollercoaster ride anymore!"

5 minutes later I had ordered the acceleration boost :)

I justified it to myself by telling myself I could "return" it if the difference was marginal BUT after a couple of drives I absolutely love it. It feels much more like the Model 3 / push you back in your seat / rollercoaster experience.

If this is your first Tesla then you will love the speed of your new Model Y. It's most likely the fastest car you have ever owned and it's built so much better than the model 3 - but if you are coming from a model 3 and want the best of both worlds, then I strongly suggest you try it out for 48 hours.

Real test will be today when my wife drives it again 😇

Thanks for the response. Really interesting to read. It is my first Tesla and I had the typical 30mins in a Model Y and thought it was quick but didn't get to really push. I did however get a 24hr test drive in a M3 LR and I got a chance to push that and it felt mental... much faster than the 550bhp Impreza I had years ago and quicker than the BMW M3 V8 imo. Given that the M3 LR is 4.2s and the MY is 4.8s I was hoping it wouldn't be too far off. I've also looked at the AB but alas I'm leasing through Tusker who seem to explicitly say they don't allow it :(

Hope the wife comes back terrified, I can only imagine your smile 🤣

Thanks for the response. Really interesting to read. It is my first Tesla and I had the typical 30mins in a Model Y and thought it was quick but didn't get to really push. I did however get a 24hr test drive in a M3 LR and I got a chance to push that and it felt mental... much faster than the 550bhp Impreza I had years ago and quicker than the BMW M3 V8 imo. Given that the M3 LR is 4.2s and the MY is 4.8s I was hoping it wouldn't be too far off. I've also looked at the AB but alas I'm leasing through Tusker who seem to explicitly say they don't allow it :(

Personally I would not pay too much attention to the 0-60 times as most of us would not really notice the 0.4 secs you gain. The biggest difference is the 0 - 20. That is where you really notice the difference - and in my opinion is what gets the giggles from everyone in the car and still makes me smile every time I drive the car.

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in Wi-Fi download speeds compared to M3. My 3 would download at a steady 20Mbs. My Y downloads at 40Mbs. If I turn the car around I can hit 150Mbs. The antenna is still in the pax side wing mirror.

Reactions: Markee68
Personally I would not pay too much attention to the 0-60 times as most of us would not really notice the 0.4 secs you gain. The biggest difference is the 0 - 20. That is where you really notice the difference - and in my opinion is what gets the giggles from everyone in the car and still makes me smile every time I drive the car.
Ah ha! I get it; it's a traffic booster. And why not.

On our test drive we managed to come safely to a complete standstill near the Hogs Back (Surrey) and then give it the welly. If I was suffering any indecision about ordering the Y, which I wasn't, that 0 to 75:oops: (and a bit) would have dispelled all doubt.

Almost as impressive was the regen breaking on lift. The regen is in the top three of the things I so love about my MY.

(There are about ten things in the top three:rolleyes:.)

I have just noticed that the side boot bins (Tesla shop) are no longer compatible with all 5 seater MYs. I have a warning message that it is not compatible with mine…this suggests that there is some sort of boot spec change and would be very surprised if it is anything to do with the parcel shelf…

Has anyone noticed this with their Q3 MYs?

On our test drive we managed to come safely to a complete standstill near the Hogs Back (Surrey) and then give it the welly. If I was suffering any indecision about ordering the Y, which I wasn't, that 0 to 75:oops: (and a bit) would have dispelled all doubt.

Almost as impressive was the regen breaking on lift. The regen is in the top three of the things I so love about my MY.

(There are about ten things in the top three:rolleyes:.)
Oh yeah, the region breaking on both cars I drove was immense. I also know people moan about the basic AP but I was dead impressed with it tbh! I think the 20-75mph will be fine as you say, just a shame it might miss that initial punch feel that the M3 LR did. Having said that, I'm sure I'll be over the moon anyway... first world problems and all that, lol!

Oh yeah, the region breaking on both cars I drove was immense. I also know people moan about the basic AP but I was dead impressed with it tbh! I think the 20-75mph will be fine as you say, just a shame it might miss that initial punch feel that the M3 LR did. Having said that, I'm sure I'll be over the moon anyway... first world problems and all that, lol!
You will definitely be an over the Moon/ Lune.

We will be waking up next door to Rouen Cathederal (the Bells! the Bells! If only I had stayed off the Bells!) to our second day in France (if all goes to plan) on the 21 September when your Y arrives.
I hope she likes YOU😅...no second chance to make a first impression;)

• Funny
Reactions: Fezza
I have just noticed that the side boot bins (Tesla shop) are no longer compatible with all 5 seater MYs. I have a warning message that it is not compatible with mine…this suggests that there is some sort of boot spec change and would be very surprised if it is anything to do with the parcel shelf…

Has anyone noticed this with their Q3 MYs?
Really! I wonder what has changed. My Tesla shop side bin liars and lids fit perfectly and I highly recommend them for practicality and appearance.