Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QC Issues -- Leaking roof/rear hinge seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You only hear about cars with issues, you hear nothing about all the cars with no issues.

How many Y’s do you think they have sold so far? If we assume 15k/mo, which seems to be roughly the average of model 3 sales:

15k units * 4 months = 60k units

even if literally every other vehicle has no leak (assume all leaks are reported on this forum), we have still observed at least 1 in 30k defect rate for leaks. That seems like too many.

btw, I doubt they are shipping 15k cars per month in the ramp-up for model Y. So this number is probably a huge underestimate of the true rate.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
How many Y’s do you think they have sold so far? If we assume 15k/mo, which seems to be roughly the average of model 3 sales:

15k units * 4 months = 60k units

even if literally every other vehicle has no leak (assume all leaks are reported on this forum), we have still observed at least 1 in 30k defect rate for leaks. That seems like too many.

btw, I doubt they are shipping 15k cars per month in the ramp-up for model Y. So this number is probably a huge underestimate of the true rate.

Except Fremont was closed for production for roughly two months time between late March and late May...

Reactions: jimmym1981
I should note that when I took delivery, I did point out that the gap between the glass roof and the rear hatch seemed pretty wide, but at that point the team said that it was "within spec," although they did adjust the rear doors which were misaligned. Pretty clearly a water leak shouldn't be "within spec," but here we are.

Their tolerances really can't compare to say Porsche tolerances, which is what we were told they compare to. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. :(

I have the same hatch leaking issue. I did not wash the car until I owned the car for a week, then could not get a service appointment for 2 weeks. The gap on the hatch was large, but I did not even think it would leak, so did not check. The car is in the shop now, adjusting the hinges/gaps.

Attachments

• IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3900.jpeg
    IMG_3900.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3917 2.jpeg
    IMG_3917 2.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3918 2.jpeg
    IMG_3918 2.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3944.jpeg
    IMG_3944.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 158
I have the same hatch leaking issue. I did not wash the car until I owned the car for a week, then could not get a service appointment for 2 weeks. The gap on the hatch was large, but I did not even think it would leak, so did not check. The car is in the shop now, adjusting the hinges/gaps.
bummer, which service center do you go to? I'm curious of the quality of service. My experience at Dublin is only satisfactory at best...Thanks

Thanks for letting us know. I'm sorry for you, but also glad I'm not the only one who is having to deal with this.

You bet I did. The gap was wider on the driver's side. Here are a few photos taken from the driver's side (looking toward the passenger's side).
If you're seeing the light blue tape and wondering how on earth a gap that wide could be "in spec," I was too. I'm still shaking my head that the delivery team and the service center worker who made the door adjustments on delivery day thought this was acceptable.
Wow, that's so obviously wrong. Hope you get it taken care of ASAP.

• Love
Reactions: CT7Summits
wow everybody's avatars are so cool, i should get one.
anyway, last week peabody mass called to say they were sending me a picture of the damage to the car with my vin on it. the picture looked worrisome. they said a technician was going to come to peabody and fix it, but there would be some paint damage left over. they said they would pay for the repair of the paint at a vt body shop of my choice.
this afternoon the car arrived in vt at a parking lot of my choice. except for the small amount of damage to the paint there is no left over clue that the metal was crumpled up. none. zero. amazing work.
otherwise there are five other minor things. the front hood is lifted slightly on the passenger side but works fine. the rear seat has the problem every Y apparently has, only less. there is some sort of a light white on white mark on the headliner over passenger's head. the rear gate's lights just enough touch the body mounted lights to confuse the computer about an obstacle that it hesitates then closes instead of opening. the driver door is misaligned by 3/32 of an inch.
i think the traveling service person will take an hour to correct everything. and there will a few hours waiting for paint to dry. (the rest of the paint job looks good.)
the problems above, about gaps big enough to drive a motor boat through, are a distinct embarrassment to tesla, but should be much more so to elon and his car company executives. they should not be practicing building cars on their customer's dreams. i've read i don't know how many postings here on tmc, from march through to today, where people wrote how they were delivered Ys with egregious problems, horrendous problems created because the people working in the fremont 'tent' were being so rushed to get production going, that the cars should have been crushed at the factory exit. my vin is a late14xxx. maybe the practice building is getting over.
i have no real idea what i would have done if the car had arrived in the poor conditions the cars above did. but i did tell peabody i was ready to refuse the car if it had any of the plethora of major faults that have been so sadly (angrily) reported here for the last nearly 4 months.
all four of the people i spoke to in peabody were friendly, honest, and when i climbed into the car, skillfully helpful in getting me comfortable with a car unlike any i've owned before.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1