Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QLD Zero Emissions Vehicle Strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
The QLD Minister for Transport Mark Bailey released the QLD Zero Emissions Vehicle Strategy today.
1647432880612.png

Details of the policy on the QLD government website are here: Development of Queensland's new Zero Emission Vehicle Strategy

Interesting stats here: Electric vehicle snapshot August 2021 (particularly that Tesla has a 75% market share in QLD. The M3 has 55% market share alone).

I feel like the vehicle price cutoff is too low and QLD is way to small to even marginally "influence the industry" to build smaller / cheaper EVs. Costs everywhere are going up, pretty much all BEV vehicles are on massive waitlists and so I don't see any manufacturers rushing to put out a cheap BEV while they can sell as many of the higher priced ones as they can currently make.

Personally I'd rather they use the money to build out charging networks. I still personally feel like 'range anxiety' is one of the bigger concerns (especially amongst my friends / family). The reason we don't have range anxiety in ICE vehicles is because we know there will be a petrol station wherever we go... make charging facilities the same.

My preference would be that they spent the money on more chargers in more remote locations instead of the $3000 rebate. I'd also like to see more stamp duty reduction and perhaps something like a 5 year 50% rego reduction. I know they're trying to aim for the lower income earner, but in this case everyone is better off the more EVs are purchased at any price. Of course LCT being fed should have already been removed or adjusted significantly for EVs, but I've given up expecting anything forward thinking from the current federal government.

Reactions: Vostok
It’s intereating reading the QLD Government‘s media statement on this, the Minister for Transport and Roads Mark Bailey said:

“Queensland is one of the sunniest and windiest places on earth and can become a renewable energy superpower, creating a sustainable jobs boom“

“Can” is the operative word here because QLD is certainly nowhere near that yet and has a hell of a lot of work to do.

QLD has the country‘s lowest renewable generation (21.4% in Feb) and also is way, way too reliant on solar for that (75% of all renewable generation came from solar last month, with only 14% from wind). Such a solar-heavy mix obviously leads to too much reliance on fossil fuels overnight - probably more than 90% which is terrible.

SA has it right - its wind generation is around double that of solar, which enables SA to even have majority renewable generation overnight. QLD needs to fundamentally change its renewable mix to take advantage of it being one of the “windiest places on earth” and to fulfill the stated ambition of being a ”renewable energy superpower”. So I‘d lIke to see the plan for that.

Personally I'd rather they use the money to build out charging networks. I still personally feel like 'range anxiety' is one of the bigger concerns (especially amongst my friends / family).

I tend to agree. $10M for charging infrastructure doesn’t cut it in a state as big as QLD. In NSW, the government investment in the charging network is $170M over 4 years.

Good luck with that buying a Tesla.
The $68,000 cap is the dutiable value and now exludes dealer delivery fees. A base Model 3 in QLD costs $61,300 before duties excluding the $1,400 delivery fee (on road total is $64,698). Even a red Model 3 SR with white interior and alloy wheels comes in at $67,000 before duties and excluding the $1,400 delivery fee. Unfortunatey a Model Y SR with base specs comes in at $69,300 before duties and excluding the $1,400 delivery fee.

So no problem getting a Tesla with the $6,000 rebate as long as it's a standard range Model 3.

Why do they have to place a $180k household income cap? It’s not whether those above the threshold need the rebate or not, if the aim of the policy is to change people’s behavior by giving them a financial incentive. I bet if $6000 is enough to sway a household with income of $17999 towards a Tesla instead of a BMW 320 it will have the same effect on some households with income of $200k.
At least the Fed government doesn’t have an income cap for their FBT exemption.

Interesting stats here: Electric vehicle snapshot August 2021 (particularly that Tesla has a 75% market share in QLD. The M3 has 55% market share alone).

I feel like the vehicle price cutoff is too low and QLD is way to small to even marginally "influence the industry" to build smaller / cheaper EVs. Costs everywhere are going up, pretty much all BEV vehicles are on massive waitlists and so I don't see any manufacturers rushing to put out a cheap BEV while they can sell as many of the higher priced ones as they can currently make.

Personally I'd rather they use the money to build out charging networks. I still personally feel like 'range anxiety' is one of the bigger concerns (especially amongst my friends / family). The reason we don't have range anxiety in ICE vehicles is because we know there will be a petrol station wherever we go... make charging facilities the same.

irrelevant to EVs - big cars are creaming everywhere. People want to drive huge cars where they sit up high and feel like a boss even if they are expensive and drive like crap. I dont think this is an issue of cost. Most people are happy to take on loads of debt to buy a big truck or suv.
Id personally prefer if most of the money would go to a mixture of traffic enforcement (i.e. towing people who park at chargers. Would be nice to divert police away from speed enforcement too to fill up the coffers of the local government) and building out the charging network. Particularly having a reliable 75-100kw charger in CQ or FNQ would be invaluable.

edit: uh wrong quote this was to the other person

Reactions: JonDarian