Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality feedback for Model Xs delivered after April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ModelXBoy

No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!
Jan 3, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hi Folks
Please let us know about your Model X for any quality improvements including but not limited to:
1. Front driver and passenger door latch and functions
2. FWD latch and functions
3. Seals around the car
4. Paint quality around the car
5. Wind noises or road noises if any
6. Ghost vision if any
7. Plastic panel lining
8. Wheel alignment
8. Anything else you want to add and discuss

There is no need to answer all of the above, just pick and choose what you know and share with us.

Thanks
ModelXBoy

Reactions: K-MTG
Thanks for making this post, hopefully the response will make me feel more confident regarding build quality for my X (and your replacement to come)

Help me keep this thread up, I am afraid that not many Xs were delivered in April if any at all. We will definitely get more responds as we entering May, which second round the rush should come to meet Q2 numbers.

Our X was delivered in April, but was ready to go since March. That said:

1. No issues with the front door
2. FWD doesn't sense phantom obstructions like our sig did.
3. No issues with seals so far
4. I noticed the active spoiler seems to be a different blue than the rest of the car, but not a huge deal.
5. Like the sig, there does seem to be some wind noise at times, almost as if a window is cracked, but it seems intermittent.
6. Yes to the ghosting

So far so good on all else though.

Reactions: cwerdna and King H
This thread will be very helpful for future buyers. Anyone with April or later deliveries please check the above areas of your car to see any obvious problems. We want to see if Tesla is making better QC progress as time goes on. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: K-MTG
I have what looks like a small scratch on my windshield, one of my front windshield pillars has a little wave in it, I have one quirky third row seat and I love my X! I will get the seat fixed. Not sure the other two are worth the trouble-so minor I am afraid that fixing them might cause problems! Fit and finish otherwise are stellar! I came from a Lexus and feel the fit and finish on this is superior. No sunshade and it wasn't discussed. I will ask when I go back on the seat fix.

Reactions: xkwizit and Saxena
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been reading it daily since I found out we had a reservation (it was supposed to be a surprise but I unintentionally blew my husband's cover). I've learned a great deal from all the posts and thought I'd add my two cents. Before though, I apologize in advance if my writing is not very clear, especially when describing things, but English is my second language ;)

We took delivery of our White MX 90D, ultra white seats on April 21st and so far we've mostly had/noticed minor issues. I'm dropping the car off at the SC on Thursday (05/05) and hopefully we'll get most of our issues taken care of. First there's a couple of things we noticed and documented when taking delivery:

- The FWD on the passenger's side is not aligned (the driver's side it) and the gap is quite noticeable. I'm hoping they can fix that. Fortunately both doors have been working well (knock on wood)

- The rubber strips that sits on the glass was a bit wonky and I'm sure that's what's causing it. Later on we noticed a very loud, rubbing (like when you use a squeegee on a dry surface) noise closing driver's window when wet. The sound was very loud the first time I did this but it is not too bad now.

- Ding on the silver trim on the passenger's door (the SC has ordered the part already)

And here's the list I've already sent the SC:

- Loud noise closing driver's window when wet. The sound was very loud the first time I did this but it is not too bad now. I believe this may be caused by the 'faulty' rubber strip (see above)

- Scuff on headrest of left third row seat ( the lady at the SC told me they will see what they can do about it but the guys at the detail place assured me they can buff all scratches off before applying the Xpel)

- The brake makes a bad sound when you apply it going down a hill at (I live in Redmond and there are plenty of those around here)

- Cabin noise: the noise level in the cabin is quite noticeable especially when driving over 40mph. It is mostly road noise but at freeway speeds there's also a bit of wind noise. The wind noise is not too bad but the road noise is very loud and I'm hoping they can fix that because I expected my X to sound smoother than my Prius. I noticed the plastic trim that divides the main window and the little bit of window on both the driver's and passenger's side has a rubber strip underneath and those are not flush with the window. If I push those in while driving the wind noise lessens considerably. If that's the problem hopefully that will fix the noise issue.

- The horn was not working but the latest update seems to have fixed that.

- Gaps between middle seat and side seats in second row are not the same. On the right side there's barely any room between the seats, I cannot even put my finger between them, while the gap on the other side is at least 1/2 an inch. My concern is that the side that's tight causes the seats to rub against each other and I don't know how this will affect the upholstery in the long run.

- Shoddy rubber trim front doors and driver's window. I don't think this is causing any problem with the driving experience but it is really an eye sore and it makes the car look cheap. Maybe it is just me since I'm quite OCD but I'll try to post pictures later to see what you think.

- Big gap lower part both FWD. The bottom of the doors is sticking out.

- Second row not allowing access to 3rd row when front seat set to my profile settings. I'm 5'7" and I like my seat to be high. I'm assuming this is the problem since the second row seat won't have much room to tilt forward but, shouldn't the mechanism make the necessary changes to allow access to the third row and then restore the driver's profile? This is quite an inconvenience because I have to remember to either use the passenger's side FWD (sometimes not possible) or change the profile settings to my husband's before accessing and then restoring them back to my settings.

- Road and wind noise: The rubber seals in the driver and passenger windows are not flush and seem loose.

- Back wheels plastic trim not flush. There's a small gap and maybe I mind just because I'm a perfectionist :/ We'll see what the SC says.

Addressing ModelXBoy's questions specifically:
1. Front driver and passenger door latch and functions - No issues
2. FWD latch and functions - No issues
3. Seals around the car - See above
4. Paint quality around the car - Only a couple of minor details that can be seen only if inspecting the car very closely and carefully.
5. Wind noises or road noises if any - See above
6. Ghost vision if any - We noticed this once and it was a bit weird but haven't noticed it ever since.
7. Plastic panel lining - I'm sorry to say I'm not sure what this is.
8. Wheel alignment - No issues

Somebody mentioned the sunshade and I wanted to let you know the guy that walked us through the car at delivery told us there was a sunshade in the works and that we were going to receive it at no extra cost when it was done.

So that's the 'bad' let me now mention the good :) The car looks stunning in person! Everybody that's been in the car has commented on how big and roomy it is. Even people sitting in the third row (not very tall people though) were very pleased with the experience. I have to car seats in the second row and an adult fits quite comfortably between them. The acceleration is phenomenal (and I don't even have a P) When I step on the gas she takes off like mad, the kids call it "Airplane mode" I can foresee getting in a lot of trouble with the police in the future for many times I've found myself getting to 80mph in a matter of seconds and not even noticing it. I love the adaptive cruise control and use it daily. Been playing with the Autopilot but I'm still a bit hesitant to trust is too much. It is quite 'creepy' to have the car drive itself.

I hope this helps.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been reading it daily since I found out we had a reservation (it was supposed to be a surprise but I unintentionally blew my husband's cover). I've learned a great deal from all the posts and thought I'd add my two cents. Before though, I apologize in advance if my writing is not very clear, especially when describing things, but English is my second language ;)

We took delivery of our White MX 90D, ultra white seats on April 21st and so far we've mostly had/noticed minor issues. I'm dropping the car off at the SC on Thursday (05/05) and hopefully we'll get most of our issues taken care of. First there's a couple of things we noticed and documented when taking delivery:

- The FWD on the passenger's side is not aligned (the driver's side it) and the gap is quite noticeable. I'm hoping they can fix that. Fortunately both doors have been working well (knock on wood)

- The rubber strips that sits on the glass was a bit wonky and I'm sure that's what's causing it. Later on we noticed a very loud, rubbing (like when you use a squeegee on a dry surface) noise closing driver's window when wet. The sound was very loud the first time I did this but it is not too bad now.

- Ding on the silver trim on the passenger's door (the SC has ordered the part already)

And here's the list I've already sent the SC:

- Loud noise closing driver's window when wet. The sound was very loud the first time I did this but it is not too bad now. I believe this may be caused by the 'faulty' rubber strip (see above)

- Scuff on headrest of left third row seat ( the lady at the SC told me they will see what they can do about it but the guys at the detail place assured me they can buff all scratches off before applying the Xpel)

- The brake makes a bad sound when you apply it going down a hill at (I live in Redmond and there are plenty of those around here)

- Cabin noise: the noise level in the cabin is quite noticeable especially when driving over 40mph. It is mostly road noise but at freeway speeds there's also a bit of wind noise. The wind noise is not too bad but the road noise is very loud and I'm hoping they can fix that because I expected my X to sound smoother than my Prius. I noticed the plastic trim that divides the main window and the little bit of window on both the driver's and passenger's side has a rubber strip underneath and those are not flush with the window. If I push those in while driving the wind noise lessens considerably. If that's the problem hopefully that will fix the noise issue.

- Gaps between middle seat and side seats in second row are not the same. On the right side there's barely any room between the seats, I cannot even put my finger between them, while the gap on the other side is at least 1/2 an inch. My concern is that the side that's tight causes the seats to rub against each other and I don't know how this will affect the upholstery in the long run.

- Shoddy rubber trim front doors and driver's window. I don't think this is causing any problem with the driving experience but it is really an eye sore and it makes the car look cheap. Maybe it is just me since I'm quite OCD but I'll try to post pictures later to see what you think.

- Big gap lower part both FWD. The bottom of the doors is sticking out.

- Second row not allowing access to 3rd row when front seat set to my profile settings. I'm 5'7" and I like my seat to be high. I'm assuming this is the problem since the second row seat won't have much room to tilt forward but, shouldn't the mechanism make the necessary changes to allow access to the third row and then restore the driver's profile? This is quite an inconvenience because I have to remember to either use the passenger's side FWD (sometimes not possible) or change the profile settings to my husband's before accessing and then restoring them back to my settings.

- Road and wind noise: The rubber seals in the driver and passenger windows are not flush and seem loose.

- Back wheels plastic trim not flush. There's a small gap and maybe I mind just because I'm a perfectionist :/ We'll see what the SC says.

Addressing ModelXBoy's questions specifically:
1. Front driver and passenger door latch and functions - No issues
2. FWD latch and functions - No issues
3. Seals around the car - See above
4. Paint quality around the car - Only a couple of minor details that can be seen only if inspecting the car very closely and carefully.
5. Wind noises or road noises if any - See above
6. Ghost vision if any - We noticed this once and it was a bit weird but haven't noticed it ever since.
7. Plastic panel lining - I'm sorry to say I'm not sure what this is.
8. Wheel alignment - No issues

Somebody mentioned the sunshade and I wanted to let you know the guy that walked us through the car at delivery told us there was a sunshade in the works and that we were going to receive it at no extra cost when it was done.

So that's the 'bad' let me now mention the good :) The car looks stunning in person! Everybody that's been in the car has commented on how big and roomy it is. Even people sitting in the third row (not very tall people though) were very pleased with the experience. I have to car seats in the second row and an adult fits quite comfortably between them. The acceleration is phenomenal (and I don't even have a P) When I step on the gas she takes off like mad, the kids call it "Airplane mode" I can foresee getting in a lot of trouble with the police in the future for many times I've found myself getting to 80mph in a matter of seconds and not even noticing it. I love the adaptive cruise control and use it daily. Been playing with the Autopilot but I'm still a bit hesitant to trust is too much. It is quite 'creepy' to have the car drive itself.

I hope this helps.

Appreciate the review, thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear the update regarding the sunshade, how is the tint of the panoramic windshield? Is it adequate?

What is your VIN? Did you have a early build date (manufacture date is located on the frame when you open the drivers door)?

Hopefully Tesla will resolve those issues, let us know how it goes.

Also, do you have the double vision issue at night?

Excellent and very useful post.
Good luck!

I quoted that about the horn since that is the second time I saw this. I find it a bit amazing since having working horn is not exactly brain science or rocket surgery and something that takes all of 1 second to check out before delivery. Horns have been in use for probably 100 years.

• Funny
Reactions: Coolcarx and K-MTG
Excellent and very useful post.
Good luck!

I quoted that about the horn since that is the second time I saw this. I find it a bit amazing since having working horn is not exactly brain science or rocket surgery and something that takes all of 1 second to check out before delivery. Horns have been in use for probably 100 years.

You are joking right? Tesla spent more time and money engineering the horn compared to the FWD. Perhps this is the reason the X was delayed for two years.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments :)

In reply to K-MTG:

how is the tint of the panoramic windshield? Is it adequate? I've driven the car in 85 degree days with plenty of sun and had no problem with the windshield. I haven't noticed it making the car hot inside nor has it bothered me like the sun coming through the driver's window does (that's why I'm going to get the front windows tinted) Once, I had the sun right in front of me and the sun visor worked like a charm. I must admit I didn't have much faith in it because it looks so 'tiny' but it seems I may have been wrong. Will update if something changes ;)

What is your VIN? Did you have a early build date (manufacture date is located on the frame when you open the drivers door)? My vin is 35XX and the build date is 03/16

do you have the double vision issue at night? Only once I noticed I was seeing double while driving in the evening (at sunset) but I have been driving at the night and haven't noticed it again. Maybe because I'm not 'looking for it"? I've read in the forum that some people cannot 'unsee it' once they do see it and they have a hard time driving. It has not been the case for me yet.

I had a chance to take a picture of the 'shoddy' rubber thingy in the front doors and I'm attaching it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• WP_20160503_09_47_55_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160503_09_47_55_Rich_LI.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 130
  • WP_20160503_09_48_16_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160503_09_48_16_Rich_LI.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 117