Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to see stage 2 head to western Queensland.
North Qld - Charters Towers, Hughenden, Cloncurry & Mount Isa.
Central Qld - Emerald, Barcaldine, Longreach & Winton.
South Qld - Miles, Roma, Charleville, maybe Goondiwindi on the Qld / NSW border.
Even just Type 2 in the smaller towns in between.

On the coast Ayr/Home Hill and Proserpine could do with a charging station each, often come across Bowen quick charger broken.

Last edited:
I like to see stage 2 head to western Queensland.
North Qld - Charters Towers, Hughenden, Cloncurry & Mount Isa.
Central Qld - Emerald, Barcaldine, Longreach & Winton.
South Qld - Miles, Roma, Charleville, maybe Goondiwindi on the Qld / NSW border.
Even just Type 2 in the smaller towns in between.

Camoweal to Townsville thanks @possum22 , we're heading through that way in mid September.

This headline caught my eye: Electric car drivers can now use Chargefox network from Adelaide to Cairns | The Driven

However it seems to be not entirely accurate - the article refers to the fact that billing for the QESH chargers will be via Chargefox - so, once the Chargefox ultra-rapid network extends to Adelaide and Brisbane you'll be able to use the same app to use an unbroken line of chargers from Adelaide to Cairns. Still pretty cool, but there are some gaps to fill before that happens! :)

Thanks to Jon Day's "JD Solar & EV" channel for this video:

I noticed it names a few new towns as "Proposed QESH locations". A bit of a Google resulted in this link: Display 10616

Which is the Queensland Government's tender document for a further 11 stations.

Unfortunately they are all on the coast and so provide additional in-fill locations to some of the busier existing locations and larger-spaced gaps; rather than allowing travel on new routes further inland. Sorry for the bad news @possum22!

The locations are:
  • Forest Glen
  • Gunalda
  • Gin Gin
  • Gladstone
  • Proserpine
  • Ayr
  • Ingham
  • Innisfail
  • Port Douglas
  • Ipswich
  • Gympie

I noticed it names a few new towns as "Proposed QESH locations". A bit of a Google resulted in this link: Display 10616

Which is the Queensland Government's tender document for a further 11 stations.
Looks like one going at Mount Larcom rest area. I did put it on plugshare.com as under construction, looks it will be a combo fast DC charger & a AC Type 2 charger.

Attachments

• 20200806_115541.jpg
    20200806_115541.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Chuq
Looks a QESH one here, PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You not yet activated as of July 26, 2020.
Yes Gympie is really going ahead in this regard. We had a trip up to Tin Can Bay booked & cancelled right at the start of the COVID shutdown this year and the nearest option of any decent charging speed was QESH Cooroy, and we found accommodation with a destination charger in TCB but there was little in Gympie aside from a bus depot IIRC.

But now they've got a supercharger and this coming...the world is changing

And more Queensland investment
Queensland’s electric vehicle super highway charges ahead with new sites

$2.5m for 13 new chargers

Springwood, Ipswich, North Lakes, Forest Glen, Gympie, Gunalda (Curra), Gin Gin, Mt Larcom, Proserpine, Ayr, Cardwell, Innisfail and Port Douglas.

Changes to the tender for 11 listed upthread in March - Gladstone becomes Mt Larcom.
Addition of Springwood and North Lakes (arguably South and North Brisbane)

So remains coastal focussed.

Plugshare checin reports Gympie is active today.

Last edited:
Yes!
Really hope that last one is for West of Toowoomba. There's a public charger at Dalby (BYO cable, 16A AC) but after that it just trails off into destination chargers and caravan parks mostly
judging by the locations listed it will mean that we either get 350kw chargers all the way up to cairns plus some other charging in the outback (i think thats unlikely) or instead they are going to connect the outback western roads to the network i. e. mt isa to townsville, longreach to mackay, emerald to rockhampton etc.

principal reason is that cairns is on the list. cairns is a terminal destination so hasnt got a purpose for a 350kw charger. and the central qld locations would not be be able to support 350kw chargers.