Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my model-s on order, expecting delivery in July and am very excited.

One question I havent been able to find a clear answer to is whether or not tesla uses google's traffic information for navigation, route planning etc. The website says

MapSimple, intuitive Google Maps™ with real time traffic information
However, I've found a number of forum posts which suggests it doesn't. Answer from a model s owner would be helpful.

Thanks

To be able to handle offline navigation Tesla uses Navigon as the main navigation. On the 17" you will see a Google map where the route is drawn onto. But on the little screen you will see Navigons maps.
And here we have a problem. The Navigon maps are pretty old, and when using AutoPilot/TACC they depend on an updated map.
Nearby my home we have 11Km of new highway (over 1½ year ago it opened). But Navigon does not know it, and it is very annoying to use TACC/AP because the car thinks it is driving out on a field and therefor constantly chaging the speed

It definitely uses traffic information, there is a setting for how much of an improvement is necessary to trigger a change in route. I don't know for a fact if it uses Google's traffic information, or someone else's, there are many providers.

You can download the owner's manual from your MyTesla web page. Here is the excerpt from the US manual:

"Model S can also monitor traffic to your work location (on weekday mornings) and to your home location (on weekday evenings) and advise you if there is a better route in situations where tra c conditions will cause a delay. You can set the time savings required before the advice is given by touching Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation > Min Improvement for Commute Advice."

While it does use traffic information, how, when and why it chooses to use it is not predictable.

I've had it choose a shorter, slower route over a slightly longer and much faster route. I've had it try to reroute me to a longer and slower route over the shorter and faster route I was already driving. I've had it choose dramatically longer and slower routes over notably shorter and faster routes.

Sometimes it gets it right, or is reasonably close. Sometimes I can't figure out the logic at all. I'm not sure if there are places with better information feeding the route/traffic logic than where I live, but I'm in a reasonably metropolitan area with a decent number of Teslas about.

While it does use traffic information, how, when and why it chooses to use it is not predictable.

I've had it choose a shorter, slower route over a slightly longer and much faster route. I've had it try to reroute me to a longer and slower route over the shorter and faster route I was already driving. I've had it choose dramatically longer and slower routes over notably shorter and faster routes.

Sometimes it gets it right, or is reasonably close. Sometimes I can't figure out the logic at all. I'm not sure if there are places with better information feeding the route/traffic logic than where I live, but I'm in a reasonably metropolitan area with a decent number of Teslas about.

As far as I know, it doesn't depend on communicating with other Teslas, only Google's data is used. And yes, it's somewhat unpredictable, but overall it's saved me more time than it loses, because it appears to get the major delays right (e.g. two hour accident on the freeway).

Thanks everyone for the answers.

The navigion bit sounds rubbish to be honest. That said, if it does use googles traffic data to plan routes, I'll be pretty pleased.

I currently use google maps on my phone and I guess I'll just have to run the two side be side on the new car when it arrives to see which is better.

Thanks again.

Bit disappointing that we'd have to enter the destination twice.

Just wish that they'd enable car play or Android auto. Bottom line is that none of the car systems (any brand) Are near the quality is the mobile phone interfaces