Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Does the Model 3 (2019) come with Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched your title in Google and it looks like the hardware was no longer included starting at the end of May 2019. If you don't see the icon on the upper right, you probably don't have it.
A premium car without Homelink??? Doesn't that seem wrong? Homelink not included. Meanwhile, it comes with Premium sound, upgraded interior, all in premium packs (except FSD). I am confused by this omission.

A premium car without Homelink??? Doesn't that seem wrong? Homelink not included. Meanwhile, it comes with Premium sound, upgraded interior, all in premium packs (except FSD). I am confused by this omission.

There is some form of this complaint leveled at almost every "premium" car. The complaint normally goes something like "I cant believe it doesnt have XXX!! The kia / toyota / hyundai I bought for my kid has that. WTF?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!"

Thing is, "premium" cars many times make you buy stuff that comes standard on other brands. Anyone here that has bought new BMWs in the past knows that they didnt even come with backup cameras until the law basically said they had to... meanwhile the hyundai I bought my daughter came with it standard.

Ever look at the options list on a porsche?

So, while it used to be standard, it isnt now, the "premium car" argument holds little water. The bad part isnt really that they charge for it. The BAD part is that you cant even order it on the car if you want it pre delivery. You HAVE to take the car without it, and then order it to be installed separately.

FWIW, the homelink in the tesla works very well.. I like the location aware feature myself, and have had some version or other of homelink in most cars I have had in the past 15 years or so.

Last edited:
If you don’t recall, it used to be included. There may be enough of a split between populations that have garages and the like and those that don’t that they decided to make it optional (stand-alone) for people that need it for themselves.

One more step to cut costs, I assume. But I would have thought the actual cost of the module would have been low enough to make it worth including with Premium. I guess not!

I think the odd part here is that you can't OPT for it during the ordering process. You must order it separately and have it installed by a service center. That seems very counter-intuitive. Why would you want to tie up valuable service center time with stuff like that?

I understand them not wanting to keep it standard since so many people don't have, or don't use, their garages. Not to mention the hundreds of people I've seen over the years with garage door openers clipped to their visors when you can clearly see a homelink unit on their rearview mirror or roof console. (remember people's VCR's flashing 12:00?)

One downside to any built-in garage door opener is the security risk when you take your car in for service (any make/model). You can take a remote with you, but you probably won't deactivate the homelink just because your car is in for service. Meanwhile the staff has your car, your address on the work order, and your homelink to get them in. Your neighbors wouldn't look twice as YOUR car pulls into YOUR garage. Just saying... We've all taken our house keys off the ring before handing them to the guy, but did you think about the homelink?

Does Tesla's valet mode disable homelink? I assume they would know to do that. (I don't have homelink yet).

I think the odd part here is that you can't OPT for it during the ordering process. You must order it separately and have it installed by a service center. That seems very counter-intuitive. Why would you want to tie up valuable service center time with stuff like that?

Because SC time is less valuable than factory time.

They make cars in batches- installing something in say 20 of every 100 cars going through the line adds complexity they're not interested in.

My LR RWD in April 2019 came with it. Remember though, i'd rather have my Model 3 AWD and Autopilot for the same price as when I purchased my car LR RWD, Pearl White (which I paid 2600$CAD extra back then, but it is now the base color) no autopilot, but with homelink and all the cables before their removal (USB cables/some plug adapter). Earlier Tesla adopters had to pay more back then. This Homelink is just 300$. But it would be a good 300$ investment, Homelink is great

If you don’t recall, it used to be included. There may be enough of a split between populations that have garages and the like and those that don’t that they decided to make it optional (stand-alone) for people that need it for themselves.

One more step to cut costs, I assume. But I would have thought the actual cost of the module would have been low enough to make it worth including with Premium. I guess not!

The issue was standardized production. Either all cars have the module installed or none do. Of course, Homelink charges for every module, regardless of whether the new owner needs it.

Yes, its too bad that its not an option to order up front and have it installed when you pick up the car. (yeah, I get that it will slow delivery but for $60k, you'd like to pick up the car ready to go out the door.)

Earlier Tesla adopters had to pay more back then.

This might actually be true in Canada (I dont' honestly know) but it's been repeatedly debunked as nonsense in the US even though folks keep repeating it.

My fall 2018 LR AWD car actually costs more today net cost, new, than when I bought it in 2018.

Same for the P (in the US).

Because the price and equipment cuts have been smaller, in total, than the value of the 2018 federal tax credits... (and fairly close to the first half of 2019 tax credits)

Does the 2019 Model 3 LR come with Homelink? I do not see it and was hoping to hook up my garage doors to my M3.
Hey BlazingThunder. When I purchased my M3, it came with Homelink as a feature, but it was not fitted in the car - however the car was specced to include it. I recently booked a service call (once the modules had started to come into the country - Australia), the guy came out and fitted it for free. Job done.

If you purchased your M3P and it was supposed to come with Homelink, ask for it to be fitted.

When I heard they stopped supplying HomeLink with the car in May 2019, I ran to my car, and the manufacture date was June 2019. I got triggered. I was one month to having it in the car, but they stopped. I'm not paying the $300 for it though, plus the service.