Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for California owners: license plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Y on May 29th and I haven't received my license plate. Has anyone who picked up their car after this date received their plate?

Since I got my pink slip for the car, I know that the problem isn't on Tesla's end. I was just wondering how Covid is impacting license plates.

thanks,

Does Licenses plates are still made by inmates?
In California, yes. I imagine that with COVID-19 protocols, personalized plates will take longer than usual, but I'm sure the state has stocked up on serialized regular plates.

Speaking of personalized plates, I took mine from my 2015 S to put onto the new Y. In extraordinary dumbness, you must wait for permanent plates before being able to place existing personalized plates. With the whole temporary plate concept, one would think it would be easier and less resource-intense. Those serialized plates will be trashed, since they were assigned.

• Helpful
Reactions: db93
Speaking of personalized plates, I took mine from my 2015 S to put onto the new Y.
In extraordinary dumbness, you must wait for permanent plates
before being able to place existing personalized plates.
With the whole temporary plate concept, one would think it would be easier and less resource-intense. Those serialized plates will be trashed, since they were assigned.
So when you sell your car, if you want to keep your personalized license plate
you cannot put back the old one, so you have to re-order new serialize licenses plates?

So when you sell your car, if you want to keep your personalized license plate
you cannot put back the old one, so you have to re-order new serialize licenses plates?
You just sell it and take off the plates. Done that a few times, have disabled person plates which also stay with the owner instead of the car.

New owner will get new plates directly from the DMV I'd assume. Don't really know as I have only sold cars to Carmax or traded them in (and transferred one out-of-state).

Reactions: rxlawdude
Took delivery of 2016 MS from Tesla 5/22. Nothing from DMV yet. Must be in DMV system because SMUD "found" my car and let me add it to my account for reduced charging rate between midnight and 5am. Car must be registered to your address to get the discount.