Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for people who purchased in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have couple of questions for anyone who purchased the car in 2018 (Dec, 2018 to be specific) -
  • If you bought EAP, what are the options to buy FSD (full self drive) right now? I saw a detailed post and Elon Musk's tweet about 2K price for this. Is this pricing still available? How can one go about getting this price?

• Did you have to pay $11K for "Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive"? This was the lowest option available and I see a charge for that also.

This is what my invoice said and I feel like I paid too much :-(
Model 3 $35,000.00
Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive $11,000.00

Rear-Wheel Drive -
All Black Premium Interior -
Solid Black -
18’’ Aero Wheels -
Premium Interior -
Enhanced Autopilot $5,000.00

Total price for the car was $51,000

I got my LR Dual Motor in October 2018. I paid $60k:
  • $53,000 base price
  • $1000 paint
  • $5000 Enhanced Autopilot
  • $1000 destination/documentation fee
I was later able to upgrade to FSD for $2k when it was on sale. I don't know how much it would cost if I ordered it now.

As for paying too much, Tesla dropped the price when the tax credits started to decrease. The same car today would be much less expensive, but you also wouldn't get the federal tax incentive.

I have couple of questions for anyone who purchased the car in 2018 (Dec, 2018 to be specific) -
  • If you bought EAP, what are the options to buy FSD (full self drive) right now? I saw a detailed post and Elon Musk's tweet about 2K price for this. Is this pricing still available? How can one go about getting this price?

• Did you have to pay $11K for "Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive"? This was the lowest option available and I see a charge for that also.

This is what my invoice said and I feel like I paid too much :-(
Model 3 $35,000.00
Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive $11,000.00

Rear-Wheel Drive -
All Black Premium Interior -
Solid Black -
18’’ Aero Wheels -
Premium Interior -
Enhanced Autopilot $5,000.00

Total price for the car was $51,000
You can go into the Tesla app and under 'Upgrades' you should be able to view the cost to upgrade to FSD, from what I've read it's $4k for those with EAP.

December 17, 2018

Tesla Long Range Model 3 $35,000
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive $18,000
All Black Premium Interior
Deep Blue Metallic $1,500
18’’ Aero Wheels
Destination Fees $1,125
Documentation Fees $ 75

Total in USD $55,700

Great car. Zero regrets. 13,500 miles. Next best things to flying.

Reactions: mrau and YisSerL
The same car today would be much less expensive, but you also wouldn't get the federal tax incentive.
*sigh* I bought in 2018. IRS stole my tax incentive. 10 years ago, I sold a house and moved across state lines. Every year since then, somebody at the IRS decides that I actually sold the same house twice on the same day, and invoices me for the unpaid taxes. Then I contact them, and they claim they'll fix it. But a few months later, someone else at the IRS things they caught me, and puts it back on my tax record.
EVERY YEAR FOR TEN YEARS. I haven't received a tax refund in 10 years due to this.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
@hashbrowns

A little earlier than your requested date, we're in different states and I bought a LR, but here's my data point:

Purchased July 3, 2018
Model 3 Long Range RWD $49,000
Midnight Silver Metallic $1,000
Premium Black Interior
18" Aero Wheels
Premium Interior (which I believe to mean Premium Upgrade Package)
Lifetime Premium Connectivity (which is extra for your car as I ordered before 7/1/18)
Destination/doc fees $1,000
Vehicle Total $51,000 (or same as your MR RWD, with mine not having EAP but extra cost for MSM)

Here's where things will diverge between our states / circumstances:
CA Sales Tax $4,717.50
Destination fee, registration/title, vehicle license fee, etc. $695.00
Grand total: $56,412.50 (note that I did NOT initially purchase EAP or FSD)

However, in my case if you include the $7,500 Federal tax credit, $2,500 CA state credit and $500 PG&E credit, then
My actual cost for LR RWD w/o EAP or FSD: $45,912.50

September 2018 I purchased EAP at a cost of $5,500; $6,008.75 when you include CA sales tax

So you still can't really compare apples-to-apples on our cars but dismissing all fees, CA and ID sales taxes, any Federal/State/local credit(s) and paint surcharges gets close. Your mid-range RWD with EAP cost $51,000 and my LR RWD with EAP essentially cost me $55,500. It would have been $500 less for me if I ordered the car with EAP but I didn't think I'd need (or want) that option. I changed my mind after taking the EAP free trial offer.

So, a $4,000 difference to get about 60 miles less on a full charge. Feel any better? Or worse? The prices Tesla charges have changed many times over the last couple of years. Things that were included, now cost extra (connectivity). Adjustments to the cost of the base car has occurred; mostly downward due to the addition of SR and MR versions but also from the loss of the EV credits. At the same time some prices for options have increased. When I ordered my car the AWD option wasn't available (Maxwell Smart voice: missed it by that much!), nor obviously, was the Performance model. I was holding out for AWD for a couple of months after getting the email to configure but I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks too soon. Do I regret it? No. The car has been great to me and I really only wanted AWD for the times I'm up in Tahoe, which truthfully is not as often as I thought I would be.

BTW, my cost for FSD was $3,000. Bought in 8/2019 mostly to guarantee HW3 upgrade but also to future-proof (?) the car.

Last edited:
The half price sale of FSD for $2k only lasted two weeks.

FSD should be 4k right now if you have EAP- doesn't matter when you bought the car.

It might be going up to 5k July 1.

These Are the two answers that pertain to the OPs actual question.

OP, you can not get the 2k price any longer, regardless of when you purchased your car. That was a 3-4 week timeframe, in march / april 2019. it doesnt exist anymore, and no one has any idea if tesla is going to lower the price back to that for EAP purchasers but my bet is "not any time soon".

Note.. I have a Dec 2018 purchased Model 3p. I bought EAP for 5k when I purchased the car. I purchased FSD during the FSD firesale pricing the OP is asking about, so I paid 2k for the upgrade during that 3-4 week window.

All of that is irrelevant to the actual question the OP has, which is "why cant I get the upgrade from EAP to FSD for 2k"? The rest of the OPs post is somewhat OPs justification or trying to find justification for why OP should get that price.

No one knows what tesla will do in the future, but that price was a firesale in the early part of last year. The price was quickly raised back due to "social media backlash against a lower price".

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and SageBrush
All of that is irrelevant to the actual question the OP has, which is "why cant I get the upgrade from EAP to FSD"?. The rest of the OPs post is somewhat OPs justification or trying to find justification for why OP should get that price.
Truly.

I didn't buy AP for my 6/2018 LR Model 3. If I want to purchase up to FSD today it would cost me 3k + 7k = 10k

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
*sigh* I bought in 2018. IRS stole my tax incentive. 10 years ago, I sold a house and moved across state lines. Every year since then, somebody at the IRS decides that I actually sold the same house twice on the same day, and invoices me for the unpaid taxes. Then I contact them, and they claim they'll fix it. But a few months later, someone else at the IRS things they caught me, and puts it back on my tax record.
EVERY YEAR FOR TEN YEARS. I haven't received a tax refund in 10 years due to this.
Ouch, that's rough. Got to love massive government bureaucracies. Any chance 10 years of refunds would be worth a visit with a tax attorney?

That is quite a story -- I feel for you. And if I didn't have personal experience with the IRS I might think you are exaggerating. As it is, I know just how moronic, ignorant and obnoxious that department can be.

Rather than bore you with my tale of IRS stupidity, I'll just point out the IRS is a pyramid of I don't know how many levels. Below the top they are abject morons and a waste of your time. OTOH, once you get to tax court, the IRS prosecutors (in my experience, anyway) are sharp and informed. My CPA also tells me that when she calls into the CPA help line she gets non-morons. Consider changing your tactics so that your case is handled at a higher level.

Good luck !

I bought my Long range M3 with Dual motor in Sept 2018. I added FSD later in July 2019. Here's what I paid for each,

Model 3: $35,000
Long range AWD: $18,000
Red multi-coat: $1,500
Enhanced Autopilot: $5,000
Dest and Doc fee: $1,000
-------------------------------------
Total - 60,500
-------------------------------------
FSD purchased in July 2019 - $3,000

I love some of the available features of FSD; especially recognizing and reacting to traffic lights and stop signs. I have about 18,000 miles on it and used autopilot both on interstates and local roads.

As an EAP owner- that is literally the only available feature of FSD for you.

Everything else was already part of EAP.

Yeah. I only bought FSD during the "firesale" at 2k because I am a person who knows he suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out). I also like having the "newest I can" from a hardware perspective, so I considered the 2k the cost of the hardware. TBH I didnt even care about the "stopping at stoplights" feature. I hardly use EAP as it is, because I enjoy driving this car. I only use it when in traffic, when it is pretty helpful in reducing stress for a longer commute in traffic.

Anyway, I knew fully when I paid the 2k for the upgrade, that there wasnt going to be anything in the short term that I would want from FSD, other than the actual hardware and "Maybe there will be something later I want". The 2k Price was compelling enough for me to buy it during that time... especially after reading your very compelling arguments that "of course the hardware will be included in the FSD upgrade price".

I wonder how many people still here remember how you were the one beating that drum (almost alone) that everyone who purchased FSD would get the new hardware, debunking post after post stating otherwise. once you were proven right, everyone moved onto some other complaint (like the price of the FSD upgrade, or "I want a refund because I paid more than they charge now 3 months ago", or I took a caliper to my model 3 and it has unnacceptable panel gaps".

Yeah. I only bought FSD during the "firesale" at 2k because I am a person who knows he suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out). I also like having the "newest I can" from a hardware perspective, so I considered the 2k the cost of the hardware. TBH I didnt even care about the "stopping at stoplights" feature. I hardly use EAP as it is, because I enjoy driving this car. I only use it when in traffic, when it is pretty helpful in reducing stress for a longer commute in traffic.

Anyway, I knew fully when I paid the 2k for the upgrade, that there wasnt going to be anything in the short term that I would want from FSD, other than the actual hardware and "Maybe there will be something later I want". The 2k Price was compelling enough for me to buy it during that time... especially after reading your very compelling arguments that "of course the hardware will be included in the FSD upgrade price".

I paid 3k, back in summer 2018 when I bought the car- for a few reasons:

1) The hardware upgrade I knew I'd get
2) The turns-out-was-a-lie claim from Tesla that price would only ever be higher later
3) To have it on my MVPA for insurance purposes and resale evidence
4) Because while I still don't think they're gonna actually get to the L4 promised- I did (and still do) think L3 highway is possible and since that'd cover 95% of my driving I'd be fine with "only" that.

Y
I wonder how many people still here remember how you were the one beating that drum (almost alone) that everyone who purchased FSD would get the new hardware, debunking post after post stating otherwise. once you were proven right, everyone moved onto some other complaint (like the price of the FSD upgrade, or "I want a refund because I paid more than they charge now 3 months ago", or I took a caliper to my model 3 and it has unnacceptable panel gaps".

Heh... I went through same with the "Is the 980 really better than the 990/was the 980 ever binned" debate that the EG P unlock appears to confirm I was correct about as well.

I expect the same 0% of people who incorrectly insisted I was wrong on that one as well as this one will show up and admit it though :)

I just purchased a 2018 M3P+ and it came with EAP. I just pulled the trigger, on 5/2, for the $4k FSD upgrade (and I'm still waiting for the HW3.0 upgrade). Had an appointment set 6/8 to do the upgrade but it has now been rescheduled to 6/24. We'll see how far the keep kicking the can down the road...

The $2k price for EAP owners was only available for around 2 weeks during March 2019. In 2018 the total cost for FSD was $10,000 ($2k for AP and another $3k for EAP and FSD was another $5k). Then they got rid of EAP and moved all of it's features into the FSD package and made basic autopilot free while keeping FSD at $5k. As you can probably guess this made many EAP owners angry, so Tesla compromised by having a two week sale on FSD for EAP owners.

The $2k price for EAP owners was only available for around 2 weeks during March 2019. In 2018 the total cost for FSD was $10,000 ($2k for AP and another $3k for EAP and FSD was another $5k). Then they got rid of EAP and moved all of it's features into the FSD package and made basic autopilot free while keeping FSD at $5k. As you can probably guess this made many EAP owners angry, so Tesla compromised by having a two week sale on FSD for EAP owners.

You forgot the part where they raised the price of the car 2k for the "free" autopilot. So did a lot of people back then, too.