Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for you TEXANS regarding toll roads...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
We recently drove from Arizona to Arkansas. Due to the lack of superchargers between Oklahoma City and Little Rock, we had to dip down to Denton, TX and then across to the northeast of Dallas and back up to Little Rock. Along the way we met a toll road or two. I'm not really sure which ones as I was just blindly following the navigation directions as directed by the car. In addition, as far as I know, there are no toll roads in Arizona, leaving me fairly clueless as to how they work. Anyway, we ended up on some toll roads and never ran across any toll booths to pay. I saw the camera flashes go off a few times and am wondering if and when I'll be getting some bills in the mail. Any insights would be appreciated.

I believe that Texas has the tag payment system, where your tag is photographed and a bill is sent to the registered owner. Simple, easy, although more expensive than getting a transponder. You should be able to look up Texas Toll roads from TDOT

Thanks! I wonder if I can great an account right away and see if I get billed at a lower rate.
If you call ASAP and ask, they may lower the fee. I read here on the forums just recently that that was the case, but I can't find the post now. You can probably google up "Texas EZ Tag" and get the number. It cost me something like $35 when I got on a toll road by accident.
There is a "no toll roads" option in the nav, by the way, which works pretty well.

I'd consider ignoring the bills as they're part of a major scam here in Texas. Should have no bearing on your credit rating or anything else--but seek other opinions to know for sure.

I avoid the many, many new toll roads here just for that reason, and will likely return to AZ where this corruption has not yet spread.

Gov Perry's Chief of Staff left after the legislation was passed and then became a "consultant" for the toll company--what a racket. Screws over his fellow Texans for ~99 years, but he'll get to collect a fat check for helping line the pockets of Cintra, a Spanish toll road company. This is what happens in a nearly one-party state, where no one reads the newspaper and many are "low information" voters . . . .

Such blatant corruption, but no one seemed to care:

Rick Perry's Former Staffers Made Millions As Lobbyists | HuffPost

Other Perry donors help show the influence of contributions in ensuring that Tesla has to jump through hoops to sell cars in Texas (which they legally can't, actually):

Interactive: TexasOne Contribution Network | The Texas Tribune

I'd consider ignoring the bills as they're part of a major scam here in Texas. Should have no bearing on your credit rating or anything else--but seek other opinions to know for sure.

I avoid the many, many new toll roads here just for that reason, and will likely return to AZ where this corruption has not yet spread.

Gov Perry's Chief of Staff left after the legislation was passed and then became a "consultant" for the toll company--what a racket. Screws over his fellow Texans for ~99 years, but he'll get to collect a fat check for helping line the pockets of Cintra, a Spanish toll road company. This is
I believe that Texas has the tag payment system, where your tag is photographed and a bill is sent to the registered owner. Simple, easy, although more expensive than getting a transponder. You should be able to look up Texas Toll roads from TDOT
It’s actually both, at least in the Houston/Harris County area. You can get transponders, but these are very small thin windshield stickers. I believe now you may not even need those as stated above - cameras catch you plates and compare against the database of subscribers. You get a monthly bill.

I actually like the system. The idea was to keep gas taxes lower by charging highway construction/maintenance fees to the people who actually use the roads (this also partially addresses the complaint that EVs don’t pay) . Most tollways still have booths where you can pay cash, but more and more stretches are EZTag only.

Yep, I tried to avoid them in Oklahoma and still got rerouted back on them. Grrr... Time before, I got lost and went in circles with everything being so torn up. Ran out of change and no booth operators so one time entry without pay. I had payed them plenty already... Over 2.5 years and nothing from them.

Politicians are starting talk of Troll roads in AZ. There tends to not be public voting or making rules/laws around what voters wanted here on many issues. Hopefully we can stop toll roads.