Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on new used Tesla Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I recently purchased a 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD from a Toyota dealership, who obtained the vehicle as a trade-in from an individual (original owner). The car had FSD and Premium Connectivity upon purchase and driving for a week. I went through the steps for getting the vehicle associated with my phone app (submitting proof and everything), and after it was activated, I received a notification that my trial for premium connectivity would start and afterwards it would be $9.99.

I still have my FSD on my "software" screen in car, and it's listed on the my account on the Tesla website under "details". I am under the belief that the original owner purchased the FSD as an option when they bought the car (not after purchase/delivery of the vehicle). Since I already lost the Premium Connectivity does that pretty much mean I should be safe from Tesla reclaiming my FSD as well since they would have flagged both for removal upon activation of my Tesla App?

I've been reading all of the forum posts about this and it's all very confusing and stressful :( . Kind of just wanting something to ease my mind a little!!

Thanks!

Mia.

Currently being discussed in other threads and has been several times.

If you bought direct from another owner it likely would have been fine.

In all likelihood you will loose the FSD as well.
Thanks! But how do they know that it was bought from a dealership, couldn't one lie when they add it to their account and say it was from an individual even if you bought it from a dealership?

Thanks! But how do they know that it was bought from a dealership, couldn't one lie when they add it to their account and say it was from an individual even if you bought it from a dealership?

Not sure how they know, or how dealer handles transfers of titles.

I'm guess that dealer takes some form of partial ownership between parties. Check the other forum and ask there. Others know better.

...how do they know that it was bought from a dealership...
Probably from DMV record that details when it was sold, who was the seller, what's the price...
...couldn't one lie when they add it to their account and say it was from an individual even if you bought it from a dealership?
Yes, you can until the DMV records arrive in Tesla.

Hello!

I recently purchased a 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD from a Toyota dealership, who obtained the vehicle as a trade-in from an individual (original owner). The car had FSD and Premium Connectivity upon purchase and driving for a week. I went through the steps for getting the vehicle associated with my phone app (submitting proof and everything), and after it was activated, I received a notification that my trial for premium connectivity would start and afterwards it would be $9.99.

I still have my FSD on my "software" screen in car, and it's listed on the my account on the Tesla website under "details". I am under the belief that the original owner purchased the FSD as an option when they bought the car (not after purchase/delivery of the vehicle). Since I already lost the Premium Connectivity does that pretty much mean I should be safe from Tesla reclaiming my FSD as well since they would have flagged both for removal upon activation of my Tesla App?

I've been reading all of the forum posts about this and it's all very confusing and stressful :( . Kind of just wanting something to ease my mind a little!!

Thanks!

Mia.
Premium Connectivity and FSD are two different things. I don't think there is an infinite free premium connectivity for Model 3/Y. I pay $10/month for it. You may use your phone's data plan if you can setup your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your Model 3 to your phone. Then you don't need to subscribe for the premium connectivity. In other words, don't worry, you didn't lose it, but nobody actually has it for free.

Reactions: rpiotro
The problem is that there is no way to give you a firm answer on this. I really wish there was. :(

There have been reports of people losing FSD when purchased from both private parties and dealerships. There have also been reports of people keeping FSD when purchased from both private parties and dealerships.

I do remember Elon stating something about this situation a while ago. While I don't remember exactly what he said, I believe the gist of it was that if Tesla received the money for FSD when the car was initially sold, it should *stay* with the vehicle through its lifetime... but I'd have to find where he said this to be absolutely sure.

The problem is that Tesla's customer service is not only lacking, but often times completely uneducated on how to handle these issues. No, I'm not a FUDster, I'm actually pro-Tesla. But I will also quickly point out areas where Tesla is lacking and needs improvement. This happens to be one of those areas, unfortunately.

I'd be willing to bet that if you're willing to put forth the effort (and it may take *a lot* of effort), you'll be able to get it back once/if it is removed. This is one of those cases of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Get ready to squeak. A lot. :D If it does get removed, the very first thing I'd do is Tweet to Elon that your FSD got removed. Then start emailing everyone you can with a tesla.com email address. Don't bother with trying to call... keep everything in written communication, as you might very well need written proof of your discussions.

Edit: Please make sure you read the post above mine, too. :)

Last edited:
I do remember Elon stating something about this situation a while ago. While I don't remember exactly what he said, I believe the gist of it was that if Tesla received the money for FSD when the car was initially sold, it should *stay* with the vehicle through its lifetime... but I'd have to find where he said this to be absolutely sure.

With my latest Tesla, I purchased FSD at time of ordering. In the car info screen it states "Included Package" under FSD. I'd be curious if when purchased after delivery if it states something else? Or only if your on the subscription does it state something different.

I hedged by bet on FSD by getting it with the car, instead of after, to "slightly" improve my odd's it would be valued at resale to another 3rd party, besides Tesla. If I were to trade in to Tesla instead I wouldn't expect any value for it.

Last edited:
You shouldn't lose FSD as it was a private party sale outside of Tesla. If you bought the car used from Tesla, they would have stripped the FSD prior to purchase so you'd have to buy it from them. Premium connectivity isn't a car feature like FSD. My bet is that you're fine.

Reactions: Sunny5280
Premium Connectivity and FSD are two different things. I don't think there is an infinite free premium connectivity for Model 3/Y. I pay $10/month for it. You may use your phone's data plan if you can setup your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your Model 3 to your phone. Then you don't need to subscribe for the premium connectivity. In other words, don't worry, you didn't lose it, but nobody actually has it for free.

I have "life of the car" premium connectivity on my early 2018 Model 3. It stays with the car as long as it doesn't move ownership through Tesla: Connectivity

Thanks for all the input everyone! As of right now the car still has FSD, I keep refreshing the Tesla website to see if it disappears lol! Yeah I read the Connectivity post on their website and understand that I'll have to pay $10 a month for it (I'm OK with that!). And even if FSD gets removed, I'll be disappointed for sure but as of right now I don't even use it...just don't like the idea of an option being removed after purchase!

I will definitely keep the thread updated or update it if it gets removed!

Thanks for all the input everyone! As of right now the car still has FSD, I keep refreshing the Tesla website to see if it disappears lol! Yeah I read the Connectivity post on their website and understand that I'll have to pay $10 a month for it (I'm OK with that!). And even if FSD gets removed, I'll be disappointed for sure but as of right now I don't even use it...just don't like the idea of an option being removed after purchase!

Others have lost it purchasing private party and gotten it back because its a feature of the car and Tesla has no right to take it back. Given its a $10k option now and prices the car accordingly in the used market, I would make sure I got it back if I ever lost it. It goes with the car period unless Tesla buys the car back and strips it themselves.

One suggestion, if you look at your order agreement and it says "Premium Connectivity" that is the subscription plan (post June 2018, post vin ~ 17xxx). I just looked at mine early 2018 and it just says "Premium Upgrades" which at the time included lifetime "Premium Connectivity."

It's unlikely FSD will be taken away. As far as I am aware of the issues people have are when 1. Tesla removes FSD and then sells to a third party who lists it as FSD and after the owner buys it then gets a firmware update that removes it. Unfortunate because it's a timing error (went through Tesla but firmware update went through after leaving Tesla's hands) or 2. The vehicle getting sold by individuals/dealers during a trial (FSD trial or 12 mo Premium Connectivity) and representing the sell incorrectly or the buyer assuming it is not a trial.

Reactions: android04
Others have lost it purchasing private party and gotten it back because its a feature of the car and Tesla has no right to take it back. Given its a $10k option now and prices the car accordingly in the used market, I would make sure I got it back if I ever lost it. It goes with the car period unless Tesla buys the car back and strips it themselves.
My only concern would be the battle with Tesla to get it back. I don't have the information of the previous owner since I got it from the dealership; not sure if they'd even be willing to provide the information of the previous owner. Wouldn't I need to get like credit card proof from previous owner that it was an option on the car or how would I prove it?

My only concern would be the battle with Tesla to get it back. I don't have the information of the previous owner since I got it from the dealership; not sure if they'd even be willing to provide the information of the previous owner. Wouldn't I need to get like credit card proof from previous owner that it was an option on the car or how would I prove it?
Tesla has a record of what options were on the car when it was initially sold. Don't let them be too lazy to look it up. :)

Edit: Just to clarify a bit... Tesla has a record of all of the options ever on the car, from the time purchased to the current day.

One suggestion, if you look at your order agreement and it says "Premium Connectivity" that is the subscription plan (post June 2018, post vin ~ 17xxx). I just looked at mine early 2018 and it just says "Premium Upgrades" which at the time included lifetime "Premium Connectivity."

It's unlikely FSD will be taken away. As far as I am aware of the issues people have are when 1. Tesla removes FSD and then sells to a third party who lists it as FSD and after the owner buys it then gets a firmware update that removes it. Unfortunate because it's a timing error (went through Tesla but firmware update went through after leaving Tesla's hands) or 2. The vehicle getting sold by individuals/dealers during a trial (FSD trial or 12 mo Premium Connectivity) and representing the sell incorrectly or the buyer assuming it is not a trial.
Thanks! That's definitely re-assuring. I'm afraid to do firmware updates now when I see them pop-up; but I assume a firmware update that removes something would be done automatically; not as an option to disregard right?