Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding the middle phone adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
although it looks good, it doesn't work at all if you have a typical phone case. I was also concerned that it would be pretty easy to break so removed the connector. Since there are two of us who drive it and we have different styles of phone cases, that's been the best move! Note that you can have several phones sync'd via Bluetooth although only 1 can be "connected" at a time.

iPhone and Android adapter hardware is included with your Model X. It might be in the phone pocket or in the glovebox.

I have to say that with a wallet-type case, it takes a little wiggling to get the lightning adapter into the iPhone 6 Plus. But, once in it works fine. Leaves one USB port available (for music).

although it looks good, it doesn't work at all if you have a typical phone case. I was also concerned that it would be pretty easy to break so removed the connector. Since there are two of us who drive it and we have different styles of phone cases, that's been the best move! Note that you can have several phones sync'd via Bluetooth although only 1 can be "connected" at a time.

I have to disagree. Elon's car at the reveal was set up with a lightning connector and I could get my iPhone (in its case) slid in every time without difficulty, I tried several times without looking. It works pretty well. The trick is (and I haven't looked closely at Tesla's version, but I have similar docks here at work and at home by my computers) the cable holder is fully adjustable, you have to adjust it to fit *your* phone in its normal carry case (if you use one), etc.

That said, I agree, I'd rather have it where I can see it at eye level, at least until we get the screen mirroring he talked about in France so I can get Waze showing on my screen.

Then we just need to launch a campaign with Waze to add chargers and have an "EV route" mode as a feature.

I have to disagree. Elon's car at the reveal was set up with a lightning connector and I could get my iPhone (in its case) slid in every time without difficulty, I tried several times without looking. It works pretty well. The trick is (and I haven't looked closely at Tesla's version, but I have similar docks here at work and at home by my computers) the cable holder is fully adjustable, you have to adjust it to fit *your* phone in its normal carry case (if you use one), etc.

That said, I agree, I'd rather have it where I can see it at eye level, at least until we get the screen mirroring he talked about in France so I can get Waze showing on my screen.

Then we just need to launch a campaign with Waze to add chargers and have an "EV route" mode as a feature.

+10 on the Waze. As far as the phone at eye level, I have bought several of these $6.99 magnetic holders that clip on to an air vent and they work great. Haven't tried them on a Tesla (I don't have one yet) but as long as the vents are not recessed, it will work fine. Brilliant in its simplicity. Here's the link: Amazon.com: TechMatte MagGrip Air Vent Magnetic Universal Car Mount Holder for Smartphones including iPhone 6, 6S, Galaxy S6, S6 Edge - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

The two guides and cables that come with Model X are very basic for the phone storage in the console. If the guide was adjustable, it would be perfect. As it is, it is hit or miss on getting the iPhone into the charge port.

Eventually I might go back to manually plugging in a coil cord into the iPhone. That would allow iTunes selection or checking the screen while stopped in traffic.

One possible problem using the phone console storage is forgetting the phone after leaving the Model X. An iPhone 6 with an Apple black leather case blends in while sitting in the charge cradle.

The two guides and cables that come with Model X are very basic for the phone storage in the console. If the guide was adjustable, it would be perfect. As it is, it is hit or miss on getting the iPhone into the charge port.

Eventually I might go back to manually plugging in a coil cord into the iPhone. That would allow iTunes selection or checking the screen while stopped in traffic.

One possible problem using the phone console storage is forgetting the phone after leaving the Model X. An iPhone 6 with an Apple black leather case blends in while sitting in the charge cradle.

Are you able to put the iPhone into the charging cradle with the case on? The case I'm using won't fit. Does the leather case help prevent the phone from slipping out of your pocket when you sit in a chair? I'm thinking maybe I need a different case.:rolleyes:

Are you able to put the iPhone into the charging cradle with the case on? The case I'm using won't fit. Does the leather case help prevent the phone from slipping out of your pocket when you sit in a chair? I'm thinking maybe I need a different case.:rolleyes:
The thin leather case that Apple sells for iPhone 6 works fine with the charging cradle because the entire bottom of the iPhone is uncovered. The challenge is getting the lighting connector to align easily. Since the phone is too narrow to reach the side guides, it takes time to make the connection. The other set of guides is too narrow for iPhone 6 with the thin leather Apple case.

Unfortunately, the original thin leather case for iPhone 5 covers the bottom of iPhone 5. The case must be removed.

I use a separate BlackBerry belt clip case for the iPhone. The phone is removed from that case for use and charging.

Last edited: