Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for 2015 Shareholder's Meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"We've definitely implemented some strategies that leverage our core skill sets resulting in an improved design and production process." Or something similar. Vague question leaves the door open for vague answers. I realize I'm in the minority here, and tact is not my strong suit, but if such vague questions lead to uninformative answers I will say "I told you so" :tongue: If in fact we get pointed answers to such questions I'll admit the error of my ways :redface:

"We've definitely implemented some strategies that leverage our core skill sets resulting in an improved design and production process." Or something similar. Vague question leaves the door open for vague answers. I realize I'm in the minority here, and tact is not my strong suit, but if such vague questions lead to uninformative answers I will say "I told you so" :tongue: If in fact we get pointed answers to such questions I'll admit the error of my ways :redface:

If you are in the minority that does not make you wrong. I am in the minority so often that it is not funny, so I might have an idea how you feel there. We just seem to be interested in very different things and issues and perhaps we go about our interests differently. We may have different expectations as well. My expectations are normally set very low so Tesla already exceeded that point by far :biggrin:. You seem to expect them to solve specific technical problems and you wish for pointed answers. Highly likely they will solve the problems, technical problems are easy to solve, just a matter of time. Getting pointed answers, that may be less likely.

Asking people questions implies that they owe me the answer, and the reality is that we could all be asking each other the same questions. For that reason, and because I do not like being interrogated, I avoid asking direct questions but I can state my interest or curiosity about something and hope that the other party is willing to discuss.

There is no right or wrong here and we are not pitted against each other just because of different preferences. There will be all sort of questions put to the team and we will all enjoy being a part of it, either there in the room or over the air.

Adding this to my list and will plagiarize it word for word! :wink:

I'm flattered. :)

- - - Updated - - -

And if that's the answer, then of course the response is, "I'd be interested in hearing a specific example of that."

The point is, as an investor with a lot of money tied up in the company, I am more interested in how the company is becoming more robust.

There will always be something like a 12v issue and conversations can rathole on the specifics of that one issue. I am far more interested in what they've changed within the company to handle it differently in the future. If it was/is a supplier issue, do they have process to identify key components and do they have redundant suppliers as a result? Or whatever is appropriate. How are they identifying and managing risk? So much to ask along those lines.

During the CNBC 'call in' interview today EM deflected a question about the X timing. He indicated he had a shareholder's meeting coming up in a week and that may be a more appropriate time to share that information (paraphrasing his response here).

Any additional questions? Many good ones have been posted here and on the TM forum. However, there has to be more!

Any discussion of those questions here gives us a good chance of gleaning some good info next week.

1. What will TM do if more and more consumers prefer to subscribe to real-time ridesharing services than to drive their own car?
2. What will TM do if these companies start running their own fleet of autonomous vehicles?
3. Under which conditions would TM consider making a minibus/minivan?
4. Could TM provide this on-demand service on its own?

1. On the last earnings call you used the term terawatt factory. Do you foresee a time in the near future when industrial processes, materials science, battery chemistry and factory scale have advanced to the point where the output of a factory would exceed teraWatt-hour in a year?

2. What other major uses do you foresee in the future for batteries (having upped the game recently by adding stationary storage to mobile storage)?

3. Will you commit to producing two new cars simultaneously for Model 3, a smaller sedan and a smaller SUV?

4. Other than the auto industry, what other industries might benefit by Tesla's software expertise in autonomous driving (the example being that automakers are not buying Tesla batteries, but the stationary storage business developed as a robust offshoot).

5. If you had to invest in one robot company today, who would it be?

1) Provide some info on the Tesla Tool and Die acquisition (formerly Riviera Tool). Is this going to help bring Model III to market sooner?
2) Do you expect Tesla to raise additional capital prior to Model III launch?
3) Do you think Tesla is moving fast enough? What bottlenecks would you like to see fixed?
4) Tell us something we don't know about Model X? (please!)

Energy Storage topics:
- would the new format cells (20700) versus 18650 be something to consider further enhancement in size to allow for larger, denser cells for grid storage? The recharge and output rates of energy exchange are continuous and not like a car with harder acceleration or braking cycles. So, a larger cell should be able to keep temperature range better. Perhaps even 20800 or 22700 sizing. That would be a denser population with fewer shelves.
- why not offer powerpacks for homeowners? Many larger homes (perhaps Model S customers) would want to go off grid with the powerpack.
- would a larger capacity powerwall be made available once 20700 cells are available? If so, would SolarCity support installation (leasing) of load shaving units at that time?

During the CNBC 'call in' interview today EM deflected a question about the X timing. He indicated he had a shareholder's meeting coming up in a week and that may be a more appropriate time to share that information (paraphrasing his response here).

Any additional questions? Many good ones have been posted here and on the TM forum. However, there has to be more!

Any discussion of those questions here gives us a good chance of gleaning some good info next week.

Actually, a bunch of questions already here:

What Question Would You Like to Hear at the Shareholder Meeting?

Would make sense to have only one thread on the topic if a moderator wants to combine these.

Energy Storage topics:
- would the new format cells (20700) versus 18650 be something to consider further enhancement in size to allow for larger, denser cells for grid storage? The recharge and output rates of energy exchange are continuous and not like a car with harder acceleration or braking cycles. So, a larger cell should be able to keep temperature range better.

Larger cells have a more difficult time shedding heat from the center. Grid storage may in fact need to do short bursts of high C rate for load leveling and frequency regulation, which I think has the highest value for the grid.

1. Regarding Tesla energy, are the quoted capacities *available* battery capacity, or total battery capacity?
2. Are the plans for the Gigafactory Two moving along, or are you currently singularly focused on the Gigafactory One? And do you think it would be a good idea to place the Gigafactory Two outside the US?
3. Regarding the S70D, does the new battery pack use a greater number of the same cells as in the 85 kWh battery pack, or are we talking about new cells with higher capacity?
4. When you start using the new, bigger battery cell format, do you think you'll still be using the 18650 format for some things, or do you think you'll be switching formats completely?

I know that staff at TM reads these threads. What would be nice is if that person/persons were to give a synopsis of the thread to the management team so they could discuss all of the concerns expressed here in there opening presentation at the meeting. I would be very happy to have my complete list of possible questions become worthless because they had all be answered prior to the Q and A session.

HINT......HINT....To anyone from TM who may read/compile the info here:wink:

Here's my shareholder question:

As a shareholder and Tesla Model S owner, I would like to know if Tesla will issue a clear summary of the current status of each state that currently bans Tesla from sales and/or service, what efforts are underway for each state, and just as importantly, identify how current owners who reside in these affected states can work with Tesla to help change the laws in the affected states.

As a resident of New Mexico, my general feeling is that this may be Tesla's lowest-priority state in terms of actively pursuing change at the legislative level. Sure, it's not the biggest market, but it does have owners. And us owners cannot get service unless a Ranger drives from Phoenix or Denver, a many hour drive, and that's if they're available at the moment.

Communications with Tesla have been fairly poor with regard to helping owners pitch in and help Tesla fight the fight. It is our fight just as much as Tesla's. Believe me, when you can't get service locally, it is far worse than any range anxiety. It's "ranger anxiety."

I would like to see Elon appoint a highly-visible person or office within Tesla as the go-to contact for all issues relating to changing anti-Tesla laws in affected states. Give us tools. Data. Legal info. Access to PR. Help us understand what you know in terms of pro-Tesla legislators vs anti-Tesla legislators. You've already done some research, no doubt. Why make owners have to do it too? Owners and corporate working together smartly is a better, more efficient approach that would save us all time, effort, and expense.

Elon, if you or your folks read this, PLEASE do it. We're out here and we want to fix these awful laws!

As a shareholder and Tesla Model S owner, I would like to know if Tesla will issue a clear summary of the current status of each state that currently bans Tesla from sales and/or service, what efforts are underway for each state, and just as importantly, identify how current owners who reside in these affected states can work with Tesla to help change the laws in the affected states.

As a resident of New Mexico, my general feeling is that this may be Tesla's lowest-priority state in terms of actively pursuing change at the legislative level. Sure, it's not the biggest market, but it does have owners. And us owners cannot get service unless a Ranger drives from Phoenix or Denver, a many hour drive, and that's if they're available at the moment.

Communications with Tesla have been fairly poor with regard to helping owners pitch in and help Tesla fight the fight. It is our fight just as much as Tesla's. Believe me, when you can't get service locally, it is far worse than any range anxiety. It's "ranger anxiety."

I would like to see Elon appoint a highly-visible person or office within Tesla as the go-to contact for all issues relating to changing anti-Tesla laws in affected states. Give us tools. Data. Legal info. Access to PR. Help us understand what you know in terms of pro-Tesla legislators vs anti-Tesla legislators. You've already done some research, no doubt. Why make owners have to do it too? Owners and corporate working together smartly is a better, more efficient approach that would save us all time, effort, and expense.

Elon, if you or your folks read this, PLEASE do it. We're out here and we want to fix these awful laws!

I've sent you a pm, tinm.

tinm, you are my hero. Thank you for asking this question.

Update on the Salt Lake City Tesla dealership turmoil

The Model S and Model X are from the Generation 2 platform. We are hearing about the Model 3 being the first product from the Generation 3 platform. What other Models might be built on the Generation 3 platform? A coupe? A Roadster? Something else?

Is there a Generation 4 platform on the horizon? Has there been an update to the "Secret Master Plan (just between you and me)" since the auto industry still appears to be dragging its feet?

These are some that I've come up with so far. Yes/no questions seem harder to evade. :D

-Will model3 look like model S only smaller?

-Will completely custom colors be available in the future?

-Are there plans for Tesla to build electric vehicles for Space X to take to Mars bases? And will Mars superchargers be available?

-Will future upgrade to higher capacity batteries, for S, X or 3, be as simple as battery swap + fee?

-Have you considered covering entire large parking lots (for example malls) with solar panels to power superchargers underneath? Everybody wins: shade & cover for all, free power, more customers.

-Could there be standalone superchargers in remote areas powered by solar only and needing no grid power?

-To what extent is today's supercharger network capacity anticipating future demand?

-Will hyperloop, other simlar systems, and urban redesign etc., eventually make cars largely obsolete? If so, how soon?

-Once multiple gigafactories are running, will you sell batteries to competitors?

-Any update on a Tesla supercar and what would be the maximum likely horsepower number, roughly?

[JRP3's 12V battery question is entirely appropriate and that whole issue is particularly irksome to me. People forget who they're asking - no one is more direct or 'non-bs' than Musk and JRP's wording is pretty tame by that standard.]

These are some that I've come up with so far. Yes/no questions seem harder to evade. :D
Guesses:
[1]Will model3 look like model S only smaller?
[2]Will completely custom colors be available in the future?
[3]Are there plans for Tesla to build electric vehicles for Space X to take to Mars bases? And will Mars superchargers be available?
[4]Will future upgrade to higher capacity batteries, for S, X or 3, be as simple as battery swap + fee?
[5]Have you considered covering entire large parking lots (for example malls) with solar panels to power superchargers underneath? Everybody wins: shade & cover for all, free power, more customers.
[6]Could there be standalone superchargers in remote areas powered by solar only and needing no grid power?
[7]To what extent is today's supercharger network capacity anticipating future demand?
[8]Will hyperloop, other simlar systems, and urban redesign etc., eventually make cars largely obsolete? If so, how soon?
[9]Once multiple gigafactories are running, will you sell batteries to competitors?
[10]Any update on a Tesla supercar and what would be the maximum likely horsepower number, roughly?
1. Yes and No. Clearly part of the same family, but Model 3 will be more than just a smaller Model S.
2. No plans at this time.
3. No. N/A.
4. No information to offer at this time.
5. Yes, but no.
6. Yes.
7. An appropriate extent given all of the company priorities.
8. Yes. Less than a hundred years, assuming you mean human-driven cars.
9. Unknown. We remain open to that possibility but we have no announcements to make on that front at the current time.
10. Nothing to offer you here. Personally, I'm a car guy but going beyond P85D's insane mode isn't really needed to further EV adoption.

-Will model3 look like model S only smaller?

-Will completely custom colors be available in the future?

-Are there plans for Tesla to build electric vehicles for Space X to take to Mars bases? And will Mars superchargers be available?

-Will future upgrade to higher capacity batteries, for S, X or 3, be as simple as battery swap + fee?

-Have you considered covering entire large parking lots (for example malls) with solar panels to power superchargers underneath? Everybody wins: shade & cover for all, free power, more customers.

-Could there be standalone superchargers in remote areas powered by solar only and needing no grid power?

-To what extent is today's supercharger network capacity anticipating future demand?

-Will hyperloop, other simlar systems, and urban redesign etc., eventually make cars largely obsolete? If so, how soon?

-Once multiple gigafactories are running, will you sell batteries to competitors?

-Any update on a Tesla supercar and what would be the maximum likely horsepower number, roughly?

[JRP3's 12V battery question is entirely appropriate and that whole issue is particularly irksome to me. People forget who they're asking - no one is more direct or 'non-bs' than Musk and JRP's wording is pretty tame by that standard.]

I saw a video that said the Model 3 will look like it is from the Model S family and it will be 20% smaller. I can't remember whether I heard it from Franz or JB. I think it was JB.

I think the Hyperloop is not pertinent to Tesla. It is an outside project.